Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW GS QUESTION.....  (Read 1785 times)

shark_za

Re: BMW GS QUESTION.....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
You see more 1200's because the average BMW guy cares more about image than the rest so has to ride the latest and greatest.  ;)

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:05 pm »
Why do i see so many GS's on the roads?

Because the other adventure bikes are in the bush  >:D

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
ja but have all the 1100/1150 's been sent b ack to china to be recycled as 450's or something?

there used to be loads of the 1150's around.... as the GS is sold as being indestructible where did they all go?

I take Eisbein's point about gautengers though , that might be valid...

i only see 12's on my commute these days ....and one 1150 adv ... i see more 1150 ADV's on the road than i do 1150's.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
It compensates for my small penis.   :-[

That too...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 12:29:35 pm »
The 1200' s are the posers  >:D >:D and are bought due to excellent publicity, advertising, events, etc.

I think Long way Round contributed big time, and KTM were a bit slower coming to the market in this segment.

In reply to the "where are the oldies?" question:

They are the real adv bikes, you will not see them on the road  ;D ;D
they are on an adventure somewhere  >:D
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 12:40:26 pm »

;D

how many guys actually understand the difference between:
Riding an Adventure bike                and                    Adventure Riding?

the first being suited to any bike and person and the later not. ;)

Offline Da Tazzman

• Pack Dog
  • An BMW Adventure is only scared of Schalk Burger!
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
The 1200' s are the posers  >:D >:D and are bought due to excellent publicity, advertising, events, etc.

I think Long way Round contributed big time, and KTM were a bit slower coming to the market in this segment.

Nein KTM weren't slow on the Lond Way round - they refused to help the guys - that's why they chose Adventures in the first place....guaranteed that marketing dude at KTM is still with "walk'nseemore" - gimme his name - I wanna thank him Beeg time  ;)
If you don't have an Adventure - ya don't have a life!

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 12:43:37 pm »

;D

how many guys actually understand the difference between:
Riding an Adventure bike                and                    Adventure Riding?

the first being suited to any bike and person and the later not. ;)

Are you asking me or BMW?  ;D

Online bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:10 pm »

Nein KTM weren't slow on the Lond Way round - they refused to help the guys - that's why they chose Adventures in the first place....guaranteed that marketing dude at KTM is still with "walk'nseemore" - gimme his name - I wanna thank him Beeg time  ;)

Misunderstanding, i did not mean KTM were slow on the LWR thing, i meant in general compared to BM and the ADV market
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Solicitor

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 12:52:38 pm »
I'm with Coala on this one.  One look at that picture of his GSA and you just know...there is nothing like it.   8)  To the non-believers out there...once you come to acceptance, it will feel like a big burden has been lifted of your shoulders.  Lets all say it together.."The GS is the best bike ever!!"  You already feel better, don't you??   :laughing4:  

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 12:59:20 pm »
It has been my observation that when the weather gets bad you will rarely find a cruised/tourer on the road and almost never a superbike.
The bikes that you do see cruising around in the rain on weekends are most often GS's
I assume KTM's play around in local quarries and then go home (which is why you don't often see them) while GS's are usually on a return journey from Angola or Zambia or some such place.

As for many BMW riders being posers, it's true, but no more so than the majority KTM riders

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 01:06:04 pm »
image and we are all allowed to mistakes
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline l3oK

• Pack Dog
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »
It has been my observation that when the weather gets bad you will rarely find a cruised/tourer on the road and almost never a superbike.
The bikes that you do see cruising around in the rain on weekends are most often GS's
I assume KTM's play around in local quarries and then go home (which is why you don't often see them) while GS's are usually on a return journey from Angola or Zambia or some such place.

As for many BMW riders being posers, it's true, but no more so than the majority KTM riders

+1

So in summery:

KTM = quarry adventure bike
GS = adventure bike

I'm ducking  ;D

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »
Whenever a BMW vs KTM argument comes up I am tempted to deal in absolutes.
I would love to be able to say that KTM's are Action Adventure Bikes and BMW's are Touring Adventure Bikes!

But then I look at my good friends Ama ride ride who rides his GS like a KTM and Butch who rides his KTM like a GS.
Both guys love their bikes and would not buy the other's brand.

Strangely enough, these two guys both have a problem with the competitive banter on this forum. And both guys don't wear branded clothing. And neither of them can remotely be called posers

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »
I know of many GS owners who bought their 12GS or 1150 GS for the sole reason to stay on tar roads. To be used as commuters and the odd breakfast run. The ergonomics of the 12GS makes it a very easy and relaxed bike to ride. It‚??s their choice, it‚??s their right. Who are we to say they are posers. What makes us gods over the way they want to use their bikes? Nobody can dispute the fact that the GS is the top seller in its category worldwide. If a GS is what a buyer wants then it‚??s his/hers choice and not for us to say otherwise.

Many members here fail to see the ‚??dual‚?Ě in dual sport (D/S) bikes. I love scraping foot pegs on mountain passes as much as I like to ride in sand, jeep tracks or touring down remote gravel roads. Big advertising budget or not the truth is that all the other motorcycle dealers would love to sell as much bikes as BMW do.

I echo Metal Jockey‚??s words. They are the best bikes in their category therefore they sell so well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:45:57 pm by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Aicorner

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 01:56:28 pm »
The slightly off topic question about what has happened to all the old 1150s has got me thinking. 

They never broke down, round the world trips must have finished by now, one doesn't see too many around anymore, so we must conclude that most were traded in - but where to after that ? 

Are 1150s like elephants and have a secret graveyard somewhere ?
'79 Ducati Darmah
'81 Guzzi Le Mans
'09 BMW R1200GSA
'11 KTM 990 SMT
5 bicycles

Pick and Pay

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 03:43:24 pm »
I see quite a lot of 1150 GSs all over the place. Not as many as the 1200 though.

Why there's so many GSs around?
Maybe because 1st time D/S buyers are more attracted by the broad versatility of the GS. Lots of 1st time buyers around.

Maybe, and most probably because BMW is one of the only bike brand that understands and applies the word 'SERVICE' and customer relationship.
I can easily imagine someone who goes to KTM first, feels unwelcome, and then heads straight to BMW where a Demo bike is constantly waiting for a potential customer. Maybe it's the free coffee or the BMW hot chicks at the reception... I don't know?

Maybe it's the BMW badge.

I hope the other brands will eventually follow BMW quality service. But only the service...
Who wants to ride a D/S bike with a shaft drive, and all the electronic gadgets?

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 03:52:04 pm »
Maybe because 1st time D/S buyers are more attracted by the broad versatility of the GS. Lots of 1st time buyers around.

Maybe, and most probably because BMW is one of the only bike brand that understands and applies the word 'SERVICE' and customer relationship.

Yup, i think the customer relationship is a biggie, as is the motorplan, on-call stuff, etc.
Especially for first time buyers who don't know anything about taking care of a bike.
BMWs shouldn't breakdown, and if they do, you've got the on-call service. - I think for many thats reason enough to buy BM.

Offline JABO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Centurion
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 04:07:34 pm »
If there was a better preferred DS bike say for instance "PUT YOUR BIKE MAKE HERE" most people would have bought "PUT YOUR BIKE MAKE HERE".

Just comes to say that if "PUT YOUR BIKE MAKE HERE" was the better bike on the market with a good reputation and now everybody else bought "PUT YOUR BIKE MAKE HERE" they all of a sudden become posers and bought the bike for the image.

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Spanner

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 04:13:41 pm »
my question is

what happened to all the 1100/1150's that were out there...only see the 12 these days?

Madala has 137000 kilo's on the clock and still going strong!!
When all else fails, read instructions.