Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW GS QUESTION.....  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Re: BMW GS QUESTION.....
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 07:00:09 am »
Ama replaced the pegs before you bought the bike.

He mentioned something about the old footpegs in a box that he can not find.  ;D

You would not have bought yellow mellow from me if it had scrapped footpegs... ;D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Skirt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:55 am »
Why do i see so many GS's on the roads?

My 2c ...

1. It is the most forgiving motorcycle I've ever ridden.

2. It is comfortable and I can sit in the saddle for the whole day, day after day.

3. It has enough grunt to get away from whatever is bugging me.

4. I can go anywhere with it - just point it and it takes me there

5. I can take everything I need with me (girls need lots of stuff)

6. It looks cool

7. I look cool on it

8. It is BMW's secret weapon - I just wish that some day I will be able to ride my bike to it's full potential
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 11:55:15 am »
So I rode a KTM 990S on Saturday and a 1200GS today. Rode both bikes before, but since I'm in the market for one, I took a decent test ride on both.

The KTM is a big scrambler. Snatchy power delivery but very punchy engine. Awful seat. Not pillion friendly. Hooligan tool. I did a powerslide with pillion 10 meters after hitting the gravel - I just couldn't control myself.
Great bike.

The 1200GS is MILES ahead of the 1150GSA (which I owned) in terms of refinement and finesse. The 1150 felt like a tractor and irritated me with its weight. Great tourer though..
The 1200 feels lighter than the KTM990 - probably due to its low-down weight.
It handles like an extension of my body: Look into a corner and she tips in; reach the apex and twist the throttle and up she comes. No drama, just excellent poise and remarkable stability.
I dont like the handlebars and the seat could be higher.
Other than that its an excellent machine.

Whats next for Kaboef? ;D
A red one, please. 8)

You got your answer then  ;D

Was the seat in the high poition (is adjustable) - ADV also is 20mm taller.
Risers sort out the bars - I hated the bars on the 1150 and fitted Pro Tapers with Ricky risers but am happy with the 1200 ADV bars with verholen risers.

Gogetyourselfone!
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Obi -Wan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »
The 1150 's and 1100 's are still being ridden, many of them on a daily basis, mine included . Part of the reason you see so many 1200's on the road is the fact that many more of them have been sold than  previous models.

Something to think about - My wife and I have just returned from a 4000 km ride around the country - We saw BMW'S - particularly GS'S every single day and lots of GP plates as far away as Vanrynsdorp. I even found the  Harleys on Route 62. Two KTM 'S out there - Adventurer on day 1 at Koffiekan in Parys ( Kurt - the Airhawk seats were brilliant ) and one 640 in Cape Town with a CA plate. It seems to me that the KTM 's travel more on dirt but less long distance . No bashing of any brand here , just a personal observation.   
Real Men ride a Pig !

Kev

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 10:05:57 pm »

Kev

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 10:08:50 pm »
Seriously though.... there are lots of them on the road here too. They are popular. They would not be so many of them if they were a crock of rubbish. You cannot blame it on Ewan and Charlie... that series did not get televised here in France or Switzerland. They are good bikes, even with their niggles and foibles. I would not mind a red adv to sit along side the SE in my garage.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:34 pm »
Seriously though.... there are lots of them on the road here too. They are popular. They would not be so many of them if they were a crock of rubbish. You cannot blame it on Ewan and Charlie... that series did not get televised here in France or Switzerland. They are good bikes, even with their niggles and foibles. I would not mind a red adv to sit along side the SE in my garage.

That will be an almost perfect garage...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Race Dog
    • Algoanet
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 10:16:48 pm »
ALMOST  --- just needs a KLR
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:49 pm »
;D ;D ;D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Kev

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 11:25:52 pm »
ALMOST  --- just needs a KLR

KLRs cannot handle my weight or size! ;D I need a MANS SIZED bike!  8)

Offline Coala

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2008, 06:49:39 am »

7. I look cool on it

8. It is BMW's secret weapon - I just wish that some day I will be able to ride my bike to it's full potential

you cannot make sweeping statements like this without proof : where are the pics???????

Offline Skirt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 07:53:07 am »

7. I look cool on it

you cannot make sweeping statements like this without proof : where are the pics???????

Nicely rapped over the knuckles hey - Ok Ok I'll post some pics  :-*
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

Offline fixit

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 09:32:38 am »
So bad that the entire forum shut down for a few minutes ;D

I was busy responding........and shut!

Harleys have character. I would love to own one just for that Sunday afternoon cruise.... ;D
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Kev

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:39 am »

Harleys have character. I would love to own one just for that Sunday afternoon cruise.... ;D

:scratch: Huh? This is about the GS... not HD's ;D Wrong thread matey!  ;)

Offline fixit

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 10:17:14 am »

:scratch: Huh? This is about the GS... not HD's ;D Wrong thread matey!  ;)

You missed something.....
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.