DR650 electrical problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acajou

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I'm hoping someone can help me. I went out for a ride today and after watering the hedges I climbed back on the bike and hit the starter button. Nothing. I bump started the bike and rode it home. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong mechanically.

Now, every time I turn the key to the "on" position, the idiot lights flash once and go off. I can also hear a clicking/crackling sound. The lights then slowly come back on. If I hit the starter button, everything goes off and then slowly comes back on. I took the seat off to see if there are any loose connections, but I couldn't find anything. I reconnected the sidestand switch, but it made no difference. If I hit the starter with the seat off, I can hear a clicking/crackling sound coming from the black box behind the battery. The headlight doesn't work, nor do the spots. Both taillights work. Only the left indicators work  ???

Unfortunately I don't have the mind for electrics and as a rule I stay away from wires, so please talk slowly  ;D