Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Blocks wear at a taper on front TKC fitted to GS  (Read 417 times)

Offline genie

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Blocks wear at a taper on front TKC fitted to GS
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
I've got a TKC on the front and a Karroo 3 at the back. Combination works well on gravel and tar. Front is quite noisy, but comes with the teritory if you run knobblies as far as I am concerned. The front blocks wear off at a taper though. Any negative effects if I turn the the front tyre around?

Offline raffie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Blocks wear at a taper on front TKC fitted to GS
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »
I've changed it around on my 1200 GSA with no issues.
Never EVER take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:44:18 pm »
Ah this question comes around about as often as my in-laws; not often enough to impose, but more often than necessary  ;D

I'm assuming you mean like this?

Generally the rule is if a tyre has a direction arrow on it then it's a bad idea to reverse it. As far as I know the TKC80 does not have such an arrow.
When I reversed my TKC80 it felt terrible, made a heck of a noise and didn't grip at all for about 100km, then it settled in and gave me another 5000km trouble free.

Malibu had the best description of why it happens:

Oh Heng, ok, simple explanation....

Put your hand on the table, fingers pointing away from you... Imagine that is the tyre footprint you have on your bike....

Simulate braking by pushing your hand forward.... Pressure is on the tips of your fingers.... I.e. pressure to front of knob on the ground...

Simulate throttle, pull hand towards you... Pressure on rear of palm.... I.e. pressure on back of knob on the ground....

Easy hey!
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 12:53:19 pm »
Ah this question comes around about as often as my in-laws; not often enough to impose, but more often than necessary  ;D

I'm assuming you mean like this?

Generally the rule is if a tyre has a direction arrow on it then it's a bad idea to reverse it. As far as I know the TKC80 does not have such an arrow.
When I reversed my TKC80 it felt terrible, made a heck of a noise and didn't grip at all for about 100km, then it settled in and gave me another 5000km trouble free.

Malibu had the best description of why it happens:

Oh Heng, ok, simple explanation....

Put your hand on the table, fingers pointing away from you... Imagine that is the tyre footprint you have on your bike....

Simulate braking by pushing your hand forward.... Pressure is on the tips of your fingers.... I.e. pressure to front of knob on the ground...

Simulate throttle, pull hand towards you... Pressure on rear of palm.... I.e. pressure on back of knob on the ground....

Easy hey!
I find any response by Malibu involving pressure on the front and back of the Knob disturbing  :snorting:
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:07 pm »
I find any response by Malibu involving pressure on the front and back of the Knob disturbing  :snorting:

:spitcoffee:
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.