Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motorcycle memories.  (Read 7413 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Motorcycle memories.
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:33:49 am »
It was during the very early eighties, and I worked at the Co-op in Stellenbosch. Short commute through town to work and back in the mornings and evenings took me on what
became my own little road race.
Apologies to those not familiar with the street-outlay in Stellenbosch, but in the mornings I would go from the "Aurora" block of flats, and the high point would be going east in
Alexander street, right into Papegaai street. The cross-over between Alexander and Papegaai had a little "hump", and the front would just lbecome light going over it.

Returning in the afternoon, going north up Andringa street, I'd turn left into Muller and almost immediately right again into DsBotha street. Now DsBotha street was of a slightly higher elevation than Muller, and just hitting powerband on a 1974 Yamaha RD350 would result in a sudden rise in front end, which you had to get under immediate control as the
junction of DsBotha street with Hammanshandweg is just about 50metres from this wheely point.

Some very great memories of my breakfast and dinner GP's.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
Re: Motorcycle memories.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:04:01 am »
Memory for me is my Uitenhage to Groenbossies firestation run early mornings going to work.
My GPZ1100 B1 had a bozzani 4 into 1  (not sure spelling) pipe and was just a glorious howl the 40km through Redhouse. Every morning the run was timed and checked if I could shave just a bit more of the time
Loved it  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Bensien

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:19:38 am »
I think we’ve all been there. In my first job worked till 10pm. Every night I would try and set a new best time for the trip home on the then practically deserted roads. The game eventually developed its own set of rules on a run over a granny scale, so I could deduct time for each traffic offence I committed e.g. 10 seconds for a skipped traffic light and 5 seconds for going up a one-way. After wiping out three times in one month, destroying a new pair of jeans every time and taking the scabs off the previous falls’ roasties, I wisely decided to quit.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:21:22 am »
I spent 1985 as a rookie engineer on the N2 highway construction between George and Knysna. Had a V8 Kombi, PE 175 and just enough money for beer.

What a life commuting between George and Wilderness site office as well as up and down the site on that little PE! I got the bike by swapping it for a home made windsurfer of questionable ability but the paint job was spectacular and the bike shop owner in Parow was no expert mariner  >:D

That little bike was the furthest from a road worthy machine but the cops had no issues back then. A real basic go everywhere little beaut!

Funny how those carefree, money-less, Jaloppie days stand out in these times of chasing the buck and buying the latest greatest ride to counter the daily stress. In many ways life has gone backwards......  :-\
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 05:08:09 pm »
In '79 or '80 I had a Honda CG 125, which was basically a race bike / adventure bike / scrambler / Motard, in my memory, at least! I was 35 years ahead of the market, creating an all-in-one Hybrid....  :biggrin:

Would ride down Contantia Nek, failing to scrape the footpegs on a sweeping left-hander, go back up the hill, and repeat, until I could get a light scratch on the underside!

Also, main road Wynberg, opposite the doctors rooms, on a steepish hill, revving the bike, waiting for the red light to turn green - accidentally hit first gear (direction: up, it was 5 gears up, NO 1 down, 4up), and wheelied - out of control into the opposite Kerb! ATGATT was a... Crash helmet, only... :biggrin:

Twat!
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:50:02 pm »
Used to drag race my R100RS in the mid eighties down Ontdekkers road in Roodepoort. A buddy would sit in the bus shelter some 1km from Flora centre, I would stop at the traffic light and go as soon as the light changes to green, and get timed to a point across the road from the bus shelter. We would do frequent runs to see who could set up the fastest time, always late at night to reduce the chance of traffic interfering with our games. Then one night I was bored and my buddy was not available to time me, so I just did a practise run, and decided to cut the run short when I saw a garage and needed fuel, was up to around 200 when I braked hard to turn into the garage, and saw the gatsometer lines over the road not 20m from where I turned off. Bet the cops were already stepping into the road to stop me when they heard the bike scream down the road. Such luck! Jonk en jukkerig.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:08:21 pm »
Going back to Youngsfield camp after a night out, in '78 & '79, used to turn down from Main Rd into Wetton Rd and use the railway bridge  as my own rendition of "Ballaugh Bridge"on the IOM. Weeeee!
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »
From 1983 to 1985 I did National service in Oudtshoorn, and later, until the mid nineties, went back for courses.

Those rides along the R62 and Langkloof back and forth, first on my CB 400 Twin, then a Z650 and later an R100RS, visiting my now wife, were awesome scary.

Today I don't know how I survived it. My fastest ride from St Albans to Outshoorn was 2h40m with one petrol stop at Joubertina. (I smoked a lot less those days  :biggrin: )
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:26:52 pm »
Bike memories for me is where the travel over distance started by traveling with my Honda MT 5 with backpack over the back of the seat from Oudtshoorn to Stillbay over weekends.
Throwing R1.60 of petrol in at the little shop close to EIGHT Bell's Hotel was a highlight!!! :imaposer: :'(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »
In my high school days I bought myself a Honda XL125 from my hard earned money working at a chemist in the afternoons.  (Delivery boy on a bike nogal)
The school was 6km from our home.  Rode every day through the "veldpaadjies", which included some dry river crossings, to school and back.  It was great fun.  The fun got even better when it was raining and the rivers were flowing. 

And of course going to the drive-in with the motorbike and picking up a date there.  If you had anything bigger than a 50 you were the man.   :biggrin:  (Thats how I got my wife   :patch:)       
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:28:38 pm »
Starting in 1961, too many stories to write, even if I was a good enough raconteur, most of them would do me no credit!
But incredible to think now how stubbornly 'enthusiastic' I was to commute by bike every day, 25 miles each way in the British winter whatever the conditions when I could so easily have been in a lift club.

At least once every winter I would get caught out, passing slow moving cars and suddenly find myself 'skating' on a sheet of invisible black ice, followed by sliding along on my arse. That would be because on those mornings I didn't feel particularly cold or realise that it was actually freezing. Other days though I knew all too bloody well how cold it was, and very often on arrival at work I was unable to get off the bike until I had just sat there for at least five minutes before my frozen limbs would move. Heated grips? heated seats? plug in suits? Never heard of them! Fairings or windscreens? purleez...only for pussies!

Worst of all though was the fog. Too thick to allow a visor or goggles, in any case it formed a layer of ice on them, so instead it just froze your eyelashes together!
And you'd think after my daily commute to work and home again that would be enough for the day, but oh, no. Thaw out, clean up and eat, and I'd be on my bike again, out to see my mates and all those little girls who though what heroes we were.  >:D

Come to think of it we must have been heroes, or bloody idiots!  :eek7:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »
Used to drag race my R100RS in the mid eighties down Ontdekkers road in Roodepoort. A buddy would sit in the bus shelter some 1km from Flora centre, I would stop at the traffic light and go as soon as the light changes to green, and get timed to a point across the road from the bus shelter. We would do frequent runs to see who could set up the fastest time, always late at night to reduce the chance of traffic interfering with our games. Then one night I was bored and my buddy was not available to time me, so I just did a practise run, and decided to cut the run short when I saw a garage and needed fuel, was up to around 200 when I braked hard to turn into the garage, and saw the gatsometer lines over the road not 20m from where I turned off. Bet the cops were already stepping into the road to stop me when they heard the bike scream down the road. Such luck! Jonk en jukkerig.
In the early 70's I would ride out of Krugersdorp towards Tarlton, and Fridays were my "exhaust cleaning" days for my GT750. One Friday, whilst going downhill, and doing 200 km/h, I saw a smallish car in the distance with it's brakelights going on and off repeatedly. It looked like the car wanted to turn off the road, so I closed throttle and jumped on the brakes. The car did turn. Right. I was very relieved that I slowed down and did not try and pass. I was a LOT more relieved when I looked up and saw a cop retreating back to his hidden chair from where he was speed trapping. He must have had a very good view of me flying down that hill !
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 09:34:36 pm »
Please keep them coming? It's absolutely great reading and loving it...

:thumleft:

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:01 am »
When I was in school I only had bicycles. Broke my own records time after time and did my best time from last lamppost in Tulbagh to firts lampost in Gouda in 21min at around midnight. Those were the days...

I had bike, well pieces, which I never got together, because my bank manager (dad) just said that with that you are on your own. Suppose my mother had something to do with that  ;D

Then in tech, 4 of us rent a house on Spier near Stellenbosh. The train left from Lynndoch station to Cape Town(Danie help please) which is 3 maybe 4, maybe more kms from our house. I bought an XR 250 R and the 2 spoor next to the rail become my race track. I remembered being so proud of that bike, took it apart, polished it and then it became the racing bike. Chained it to a pole at the station and race back home after class. Put it down a few time missed class a few times, all due to the bike, but never blamed Öu Rooies"

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:24:51 am by VaalBaas »
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:13:07 am »
When I was in school I only had bicycles. Broke my own records time after time and did my best time from last lamppost in Tulbagh to firts lampost in Gouda in 21min at around midnight. Those were the days...

I had bike, well pieces, which I never got together, because my bank manager (dad) just said that with that you are on your own. Suppose my mother had something to do with that  ;D

Then in tech, 4 of us hire a house on Spier near Stellenbosh. The train left from Lynndoch station to Cape Town(Danie help please) which is 3 maybe 4, maybe more kms from our house. I bought an XR 250 R and the 2 spoor next to the rail become my race track. I remembered being so proud of that bike, took it apart, polished it and then it became the racing bike. Chained it to a pole at the station and race back home after class. Put it down a few time missed class a few times, all due to the bike, but never blamed Öu Rooies"

So gepraat van bicycles. Toe die movie Towering Inferno uitgekom het 1974/5 het ek en my vriend van Bonnievale na Ashton gery op ons bicycles om dit by die drive-in te gaan kyk. Onthou laatnag terug omtrent
op die middle lyn gery oor n man op 14 nog so bietjie bang vir die donker was  :lol8:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 06:23:10 am »

I had bike, well pieces, which I never got together, because my bank manager (dad) just said that with that you are on your own. Suppose my mother had something to do with that  ;D

Then in tech, 4 of us hire a house on Spier near Stellenbosh. The train left from Lynndoch station to Cape Town(Danie help please) which is 3 maybe 4, maybe more kms from our house. I bought an XR 250 R and the 2 spoor next to the rail become my race track. I remembered being so proud of that bike, took it apart, polished it and then it became the racing bike. Chained it to a pole at the station and race back home after class. Put it down a few time missed class a few times, all due to the bike, but never blamed Öu Rooies"

So gepraat van bicycles. Toe die movie Towering Inferno uitgekom het 1974/5 het ek en my vriend van Bonnievale na Ashton gery op ons bicycles om dit by die drive-in te gaan kyk. Onthou laatnag terug omtrent
op die middle lyn gery oor n man op 14 nog so bietjie bang vir die donker was  :lol8:

Dit is nogal wat almal gespot het oor. Ek was damn trots oor daai tyd, maar hulle reken ek was net skytbang ;D deur Nuwekloofpas. Die was in my matriekjaar, maar onthou goed dat ek ook op die middellyn gery het :lol8:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:25:55 am by VaalBaas »
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 06:29:06 am »
Ek was normaal!   Gedink dis net ek wat so,  in die nag,  op die middellyn gery het.

In 1979 kuier ek by 'n baie oulike persoon van die teenoorgestelde geslag.   Al te wonderlik.   Net een probleem.   Sy is in Johannesburg en ek in Vanderbijlpark,  so 100km uitmekaar.   Die probleem was oorkombaar danksy my Yamaha RD250.  Ek het menige "time trials"  gedoen,  laat nag,  tussen Uncle Charles en die Vanderbijlpark Brandweer stasie.   Die Golden Highway was die roete met die dat snelweë maar skaars was.

Net soos snelweë was allerhande fênsie twatsuits maar skaars.   My ryklere was dus maar die denim van die dag,  vellies, T-Hempie,  windbreaker en sulke namaak leer handskoene.   Ek dink my eie vel sou my hande beter beskerm teen die teer as daai el-cheapo handskoene en baadjie.   

Een Julie gaan ek kuier en vergeet nog die handskoene by baie huis ook!   Daai aand breek ek my rekord van Uncle Charles na die brandweer stasie met amper 10 minute.   Ek dag ek vrek van die koue,  so ek kan myself maar net sowel dood val ook.   Ek draai daai oor vas teen die stops en die bike loop so vinnig as wat die op- en afdraande toelaat.   Toe ek Vanderbijlpark inkom ry ek oor stopstrate en rooi robots want dis te seer om die briek te probeer gebruik.   

By die huis het water uit die koue kraan my hande gebrand.   Ek was amper dood.  What a ride!   Kon nooit weer daai tyd breek nie,  nie eers met 'n groter bike nie.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:50:22 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Airguitar

• I prefer girls that sing soprano.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:07:14 pm »
When I was about 9 my dad bought a Honda CB350. My brother and I fell in love with this bike in a heartbeat. He would ride us around on the plot where we lived in Benoni, and my mom would sometimes even take me to and from school on it.
When I was 12 my dad came into my room and made me swear to him that I would never ask him for a motorbike. I was gutted. But I kept my word.
On my 16th birthday he came into my room and said "Remember I made you promise never to ask me for a bike?" Of course I did. It was a hard four years of sneaking off on my dad's 350 when he was away for the occasional stolen ride. But I had kept my promise.
He took me into Benoni Bike Inn and bought me a brand new MT50! He said that by keeping my word he knew I was to be trusted.

Now about the rides to school and back, not much was to be said, except that my best mate Julian also got an identical white MT50, so we had many memorable trips. Those bikes really proved to be bullet proof on the weekends when we got our first taste of "Adventure riding" off into the veld with a backpack containing, biscuits, polony, a 2l coke and a sleeping bag.

My other commuting memory was years later when working at SAA as an aircraft technician I had a XR500R. I could pop a mean wheelie by then, and one morning on the road running around the Boksburg end of Jan Smuts, where the road did a chicane around the runway, some oke on a GS750 got embarrassed as I passed him through the s-bends. As we hit the straight he tried to pop a wheelie which failed dismally, so he gunned it and got away from me. However, I caught him at the end of the road where it turns uphill past SKF Bearings and he tried another wheelie with poor success. I picked the XR front wheel up in 2'nd gear and continued all the way through the gears to wheelie all the way up the hill to the stop street at the top. When we both pulled into the parking lot he came over and said "Fok dit was fokken goed!" We became road mates to work and back after that, but I never knew his name.
My rides:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC.
Honda VF750S
Boeing 747

Offline Gensetter

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 01:27:39 pm »
Memory for me is my Uitenhage to Groenbossies firestation run early mornings going to work.
My GPZ1100 B1 had a bozzani 4 into 1  (not sure spelling) pipe and was just a glorious howl the 40km through Redhouse. Every morning the run was timed and checked if I could shave just a bit more of the time
Loved it  :ricky:

You are lucky Keith Coleman did not catch you. :pot:

Offline Sabre

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »
In '76 I was doing trainig near Vereeniging. My GT750 needed it's exhaust baffles cleaned (was part of regular maintenance on 2-strokes to clean out the carbon build-up in the baffles).The best way to clean said baffles was with an Oxy/Acetelene torch

My mate in Fairland had a set at home (his father's), and I arranged to go to him one afternoon after work. This was in June/July

Arriving at his place, we went for the proverbial "quick beer" at the Drift-inn in Muldersdrift. Well, as can be expected, it turned into a very long evening. Firstly because there was a beer promotion that evening, and the German brew was very affordable, and secondly our friend Harry turned up. And Harry wasn't an early evening kind of guy

After we left the hotel very late, we still had to clean out the baffles. I then decided to stay over at my mate's house and rather return to the Vaal early the next morning.

It was cold !!!. It was freezing cold !! I had to take a hot shower at the training centre to try and thaw out

When I saw my mate the next weekend, he showed me the holes that we burnt into the tarred driveway of his father's house. It appeared that we applied more flame to the driveway than the baffles  :biggrin:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun