Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quads for Quads  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
Quads for Quads
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:28 am »
Hi guys - doing my first Quads for Quads event from Joburg to Ballito at the beginning of October.  Has anyone done this before?  How technical is it and how fit do you need to be?  The organiser say you do between 150-200k's per day - is it open road or enduro type stuff?  Any advice would be welcome.......
Rom 1:16

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Re: Quads for Quads
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:49 am »
Hi guys - doing my first Quads for Quads event from Joburg to Ballito at the beginning of October.  Has anyone done this before?  How technical is it and how fit do you need to be?  The organiser say you do between 150-200k's per day - is it open road or enduro type stuff?  Any advice would be welcome.......

Did it 2 Years ago. Was easy. What bike you going to use? The 800? And your skill level?

Not an enduro ride and mainly gravel and 2-spoor. Can recall only a few obstacles but if you don't want to try them then you can always go around.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:22:13 am »
Have done it on a quad a few years ago.  It was an awesome experience and the routes are worked out to include a bit of all types.  You can easily do 150 - 200km a day, even if very unfit.  There are short technical stretches, but mostly dirt roads and so on.  When we did it, at least two kids at around 6 or 7 (one of a quad and one on a tweelie) managed and three or so guys on DS type bikes. 

-  Have back up.  If not your own buddies, arrange with organizer to use their truck.  They can then transport your camping stuff, etc.  leaving your bike reasonably free of baggage during the daily rides.
-  Watch out for dust.  If the trip is before the start of the summer rains, dust will be a nightmare.
-  Enjoy the ride.  It is awesome and there is no rush.  You have roughly 10 hours a day to cover the distance.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:25 am »
Thanks for the pointers - not going to be using the 800 - riding with a mate who has a couple of offroad bikes.  Should be good, the writeup from previous years sounds like fun.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
Thanks for the pointers - not going to be using the 800 - riding with a mate who has a couple of offroad bikes.  Should be good, the writeup from previous years sounds like fun.

It is a heck of a lot of fun.  That is a fact. 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Wes

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:44:34 am »
Did it with the missus a few times on 2 quads.
Great and best advice is to enjoy and take it easy . To keep out the dust we would sit down for some coffee when most people rush from the start
as if it is the final day of the Dakar !
Route is very well marked and you have the whole day to do 200km.
You will enjoy it

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:08 am »
Take a spare liver you are going to need it.

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:10:22 pm »
Take a spare liver you are going to need it.

Where's the 'like' button?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:53 pm »

Then no problems anywhere. They will often remind you about rejetting for the coast and cleaning filters. ;)

Yes, lotsa dust and along the rail service roads you can't pass the side by sides so no need for speed, you just catch up with the dust.
Yes, well marked and take note of the danger markings, going through the dips can hurt if you are racing through them.
The shower facilities are a bit iffy.

Enjoy

Offline diebul

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:35:22 pm »
Lekke man ,enkoy it :ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »
Then no problems anywhere. They will often remind you about rejetting for the coast and cleaning filters. ;)

Clean filters as well as chain and sprockets every evening.

Re-jetting for the coast is ridiculous.  I remember when we did it, DNA had a workshop in Newcastle who worked overnight.  They must have made a packet "re-jetting for the coast".  Nice money making trick.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 01:00:03 pm »
Re-jetting for the coast is ridiculous.  I remember when we did it, DNA had a workshop in Newcastle who worked overnight.  They must have made a packet "re-jetting for the coast".  Nice money making trick.

It depends on what your current jetting is.  Maybe change it for a low altitude before leaving.
Running a 2-stroke with high altitude jetting over open terrain or high rpm for long periods at the coast (runs lean) is a chance I will not take with my own bike.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 01:15:21 pm »
It depends on what your current jetting is.  Maybe change it for a low altitude before leaving.
Running a 2-stroke with high altitude jetting over open terrain or high rpm for long periods at the coast (runs lean) is a chance I will not take with my own bike.

The question is, at what point are you at "low altitude"?  

East Rand:  1700m
Standerton: 1500m
Newcastle:  1200m
Weenen:  1000m
Balito:  135m

Basically, one day and 250km from the finish, you are still 1000m above sea level.

Each to his own though.  I think it, most definitely a waste on a 4-stroke and possibly a waste on a 2-stroke.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:17:06 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:30 pm »
The question is, at what point are you at "low altitude"?  

East Rand:  1700m
Standerton: 1500m
Newcastle:  1200m
Weenen:  1000m
Balito:  135m

Basically, one day and 250km from the finish, you are still 1000m above sea level.

Each to his own though.  I think it, most definitely a waste on a 4-stroke and possibly a waste on a 2-stroke.

Yip each to their own. You can keep it as is and just keep rpm low for the last day (on a 2-stroke) or install sea level jets and keep with it the whole way or look up the jetting values for different altitudes and pic something close to sea level. Whatever you feel like doing.

Yes on a 4-stroke I would probably also not change jets as running lean which cause the engine to run hotter is not such a big issue as on the 2-strokes. (We did not change jets on the 4-stoke)

Just noted that the organisers will however mention rejetting and if I remember correctly they remind you in Weenen again about it (as per your altitudes).
Presume they had guys with problems in the past for them to put is on their list of important items to mention.

Offline Edd

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:53:59 pm »
We are a group of 9 riders doing the up ride a week later on quads.  :thumleft:

Done it twice before, i prefer the up ride, not as busy as the down ride, remember its a ride, not a race.  :thumleft:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 10:06:59 pm »
Done it twice before, i prefer the up ride, not as busy as the down ride, remember its a ride, not a race.  :thumleft:

Don't you find that the terrain becomes ugly as you get close to Gauteng?

Offline Edd

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:06 am »

Don't you find that the terrain becomes ugly as you get close to Gauteng?

Agreed, day 1 through natal is the best, the best thing of the up ride, is being home when the ride is over.  :thumleft:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline TK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:31 am »
Water or re-hydrate, snacks, petrol and a camera. Oh.......and bog roll.....just in case.

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
Really looking forward to it.  Kickoff on Thursday morning from carnival City.  Any other dogs going to be there?

Offline Sushi bar

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Getting younger everyday!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:42 pm »
Yup I'm in, can't wait.
Live love life.....