Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Ginger and a Porra Foreskin do KZN  (Read 8199 times)

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Re: A Ginger and a Porra Foreskin do KZN
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
No wonder I missed it the last time I went past that area.   Expected bells and whistles neon signs etc.... or I was not concentrating enough to find it.  :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 05:12:23 pm »
No wonder I missed it the last time I went past that area.   Expected bells and whistles neon signs etc.... or I was not concentrating enough to find it.  :imaposer:

:spitcoffee:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:08 pm »
I met both these fine gents, briefly, at the recent KZN Bash.
They are both very quiet and shy.
Thought they were hardcore bikers.
Not.
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 07:23:46 am »
I met both these fine gents, briefly, at the recent KZN Bash.
They are both very quiet and shy.
Thought they were hardcore bikers.
Not.

Quiet and shy??  :laughing4:

Yes we are.  :sip:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 07:26:52 am »
The roads from there are awesome, the route took us through the Nkandla forest, Oh My word, that’s a nice road, even GingerBreadMan who is not a tar riding fan had a blast getting his knee down around those twisties, he got so into it he almost soiled his Klim pant when his toe scraped the road around one corner, picturesque and just nice fast corners.
Soopabikers would love this road.
We were enjoying it all so much we forgot to stop and take photos.

I cant remember if that section was before or after this stop we made.

We were nearing Vryheid, this might be our overnight stop at just over 400km for the day so far.

Still one or two more sections of tar, short sections through some forests, but these roads are maintained differently, if any of you went to the Bash at highover you should know the type, almost paved with rocks, the rocks seem to have been rolled into the road, not bad grip BUT, not all rocks are sunken properly into the ground, here and there is a straggler that’s poking out just ready to make your rim smile, just as Oros found out, hearing a scream over my headset confirmed it, the Ginger hit one, but we didn’t stop, just carried on, he did complain a lot about some headshake after that though.
Crossing the White Umfolozi river

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 07:41:54 am »
I grew up in Vryheid and still remember the Nkandla Forest road back then.... gravel through the dense trees.... travelling with my parents in our Opel Record station wagon.

So when I did a trip with Gerrie to all the hot water springs a while ago, this road was on the agenda.

BIG SURPRISE... tar and twisties like you cannot believe.

Bit of a disappointment at first but then the SUPABIKE gremlin took over and I enjoyed it. :ricky:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:52 am »
I grew up in Vryheid and still remember the Nkandla Forest road back then.... gravel through the dense trees.... travelling with my parents in our Opel Record station wagon.

So when I did a trip with Gerrie to all the hot water springs a while ago, this road was on the agenda.

Bit of a disappointment at first but then the SUPABIKE gremlin took over and I enjoyed it. :ricky:

Exactly, I almost wanted to go back and do it again, it really was fun

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline EssBee

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 07:52:59 am »

Was that after you left High Over???  ;)

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 07:57:54 am »

Yeah, thats when Woody and Transalp Killer Gerrie did their did their SA Spa tour  :lol8:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline EssBee

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 08:01:33 am »
 :laughing4:

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:32 am »
excellent report, thanks for sharing. wish i was there.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:46 am »

We spend a night at Lilani... missed the next one and on the way to ...Lilani... I think it was called did this section.
Ride report on that OTHER forum. :imaposer:

http://www.roamafrica.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=1682.0

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:24 am »
excellent report, thanks for sharing. wish i was there.

Jirre, you would have had a jol

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 08:31:25 am »
Finally we reached Vryheid, it’s a bigger town than I expected with B&B’s and guesthouses all over the place, should we stay or push on to Utrecht. We fuelled up and decided, just another 58Km to Utrecht we might as well push on, it will mean less travelling on the Monday. Theres a little “Ghost town” near Vryheid called Hlobane, we were supposed to go past there, but once again we hadn’t eaten and were tired and time was against us so we decided to cut that section out.
On to Utrecht our overnight home. The GPS said there is The Grand Hotel Utrech there, perfect, I love the small town hotels, our Lesotho trip took us to the Kestel Hotel, that place was awesome, this trip had already taken us to the Memel hotel, loved it, another small town hotel is just what we need, check in drink with the locals at the bar, perfect. We got there as the sun was about to set, it was nothing like Vryheid, a one horse town, not like Weenen, but not far off, no B&B’s and guest houses all over the place, oh oh, where are we going to stay??

This is the Grand hotel Utrecht

It looked like a set from the movie “The Hostel”, we were not staying there, far too dodgy, besides it doesn’t look like its still trading

One of the only guest houses in town was fully booked but they referred us to the Caravan park, they have chalets too, they did, a nice little cabin next to the dam, but they didn’t have food, luckily the take aways at the local petrol station had burgers and slap chips. All sorted and we checked in after dark.

500km for the day.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:30 am »
Day 5: The road home back to the big smoke
Monday morning we woke up and could finally see where we stayed over. If we didn’t know we were in Utrecht, we could have mistaken the place for a watering hole in the Kruger park. The elephants should be arriving soon…..

We also now got to check what was causing the headshake on Oros, OUCH!!

If that thing didn’t have tubes it wouldn’t have air.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 12:45:15 pm »
We had some hidden attractions to still see, the old deserted Charleston train tunnels, I had them on the GPS, should be easy to find. We hit the road by 07:30.
Down to the N11 and off onto dirt towards the first tunnel and we hit a farm gate, then another farm gate, then another….. it’s not looking good to getting to these tunnels. We met a lady and her daughter at one of the farms and asked her about the tunnels and where they are, she pointed it out and explained how to get there, but we had to cross through a farm which wasn’t closed off yet.

They had this 2 week old goat, the cutest thing

I think that might be Wooly Bugger in the background

So headed off to the recommended route and through the farm gate, hoping no farmer was going to come out and shoot us, but we stayed off his lands. We ended up in the middle of some tree plantation, tricky riding over all the cuttings all over the floor and into a dead end, so back down another route, another dead end, then through a little tunnel under a bridge and onto some open grazing lands, we rode around in circles for an hour and a half, eventually after riding over ploughed fire breaks and really rough terrain, we conceded defeat, we can’t get to the first tunnel, not from this side at least, so we back tracked, back across the grazing lands and towards the little bridge, when the Ginger decides to see what’s on the bridge, lo and behold, at the end of the bridge, a Damn tunnel!!!
We couldn’t see it from below with all the trees around it, finally, now we go through this tunnel and follow the old rail line to the second tunnel, Wrong!

The date above the tunnel in case you can’t see it is 1936, probably about the same age as the Legendary IceCreamMan.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »
We entered and rode through to the other side, only to find a locked farm gate. Yes, a dead end.
We back tracked again, back through the farm and onto the N11 again towards the other tunnel.
Back on the N11 we tried to find routes off the main road towards the old line, after some trial and error we found it. We were back on track, Literally, those stones are not fun to ride on, much like marbles but a little more stable, but you always feel like you’re going to wash out. After a good distance we had just about reached the tunnel entrance, but we had an obstacle, a fallen tree, that was growing across the road. I stopped in front of it, the branches still smallish so I figured even without a machete I could break them to clear a path, I managed with some but a few remained very low down, low enough to guide the mighty pig over them and onwards to the tunnel, GingerBreadMan thought I was being really confident, but it was a few small branches, they stood no chance against the mighty pig. I climbed back on revved the pig and dropped the clutch, the tree was no challenge…….. OMG the tree attacked me, front wheel got airborne and I got floored, down to the right, I am ashamed to say a little tree dropped my pig, claiming a spot light and handguard, I was laughing so much I couldn’t pick her up again, Ginger had to come help me, you know a bike it yours when you can bin it, scratch it some more, break some minor parts and laugh about it, this is why I have this bike and not a Ducati 1198, The screen is now almost even, scratches on the left from Lesotho and scratches on the right from the Charleston tunnel Keeper.

I was forced to use KTM duct tape to mend my floppy spot light. Oh the shame!!
If anyone has a handguard to sponsor I will gladly take it. Pratley steel is holding the things on for now.
One day when I sell this bike I know you will all back me up by saying, “”Lady rider, never been off road”
We traversed the tunnel, it was wet right through and dark but yet, another tunnel. Been there done that

From there we moved onto Volksrust, another small town, bigger than Utrecht though, and they have fuel and a Wimpy, so my almost dry tank got refilled and so did our tummy’s.
From there we headed home, we still debated on whether we should slab it on tar, or stick to the plotted route and take farm roads all the way back, we were so into the dirt and I was very much passed my fears and picking up speed on the dirt now. So we stuck to the farm roads. Through Standerton and out the other side down the worst road in SA, potholes bigger than my bike, some of them could have swallowed the pig whole.
This was one of the smaller ones

And we winded our way back through the Free State back to Gauteng.

I really enjoyed these roads, both of us at good speeds, side by side smiling all the way home

We did 441Km back on the last day making the entire trip just over 2000km, The KTM will say it was a lot over, but we know KTM riders like to exaggerate.

A lot of this route went through  a lot of the old Battlefields, we didn’t have time but there are many battle sites and memorials and monuments along this route, I will be back, historic sites are always a nice thing to see for me. Preferably out of the rainy season, most of these roads look like they could be treacherous in the wet.

Man I love riding our beautiful country.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »
Lekker and thanks for sharing.   :ricky: :ricky:

Offline Khakibos

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Ry!
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2015, 01:13:40 pm »
Awesome RR, thanks.  8)

Offline Ginger Bread Man

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »
i still have some footage of the pigs brutal onslaught on a poor tree..... or is that the little tree who could?  :imaposer:

would anyone like to see???? :pot:

Mikie, thanks for taking the time to write the report! far rather you than me.
Reading this report has made getting back into the swing of working life so much easier  ::)
had a wonderful 2131km ride  :deal: