Motorcycle Dynamics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whethefakawe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I can't go ride, it's too hot, will die. So I did a bit of research into the topics in the previous argie-bargie, and waddya know.....science wins again  :biggrin:

First off, as mentioned, all one has to do is click a little. There is an endless supply of information just a few mouseclicks away, some of it excellent gen and some of it a bunch of k@k. The trick is to filter it and recognise a source for what it is.

Wikipedia, for the most part, has some good gen on it. This quite lengthy article explains in a fairly advanced manner, the "dynamics" or physics behind bicycles and motorcycles. It's a bit bicycle biased, but the principles are the same. I don't pretend to understand off-hand, or have any intention to sit down and work it all out, the physics involved....it bores me to tears. But the basics are easy to understand, and very educational.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_dynamics

OK....first topic  :biggrin:.....standing up in general, and specifically in corners. Assume that you know to stand in rough terrain at speed, or in VERY rough terrain when crawling along. At speed your legs give you another metre or so of suspension (except for the shortarses, I'd guess 75 cm plus). That's the primary reason. You can hit a ditch or rock or slight jump and survive it, provided your weight is back. Hit that sitting down, and you'll do this  :imaposer:

At extreme speeds, as this oke, who has won the Baja 1000 btw, is demonstrating, even standing up may not save you.....

Attachments

• endo.jpg
    endo.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 603