Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quietest helmet  (Read 4503 times)

Offline EttienneT

Quietest helmet
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:30:07 pm »
I want to get a new helmet, and alhough I like the good looking ons, it's no longer my biggest need, the awful noise inside my Shark helmet is!

I've been doing some Googling, and it seems that Schuberth are known to make the helmets which measures the lowest Decibell value.

Can anyone share any insight on this subject? Or offer some advice?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

WR250 XT600 XT660Z F800GS...on the way to a Goldwing

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: Quietest helmet
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »
Also look at the Shoei GTAir

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:29:50 pm »
Get a Harley...then suddenly you won't even hear your helmet! Ha ha
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »
Shoei Hornet is also good. Adjusting your screen angle/height, if possible, makes a lot of difference. The helmet's peak obviously makes the noise worse.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »
Strange - I find the hornet noisey - I have nothing to compare it with, except for off-road helmets - but the wind is pretty loud in there.

Don't think I'd buy another one
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »
perhaps try different screens
2003 R1150GS

Online IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »
Yes, that's what I've been looking for. I've been sold a Nitro and an Aria on the promise that they are quiet and they are like standing behind a Boeing on takeoff. However, recently Grant Umpleby's side kick Joe sold me a helmet on the promise that it was ultra quiet. It was dirt cheap (less than R1000) and I bought it because it was so comfortable but it is really, really quiet. Closest to an anechoic chamber that is also a street legal helmet that I've found so far.  It is an HJC and the model appears to be CS14. Having said that, a great deal of the howl is from the gap around the nape of your neck and how the padding fits around your particular shaped head. I think I am a pretty regular shape though. Ian
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:13:56 pm by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 06:16:29 pm »
Yes, that's what I've been looking for. I've been sold a Nitro and an Aria on the promise that they are quiet and they are like standing behind a Boeing on takeoff. However, recently Grant Umpleby's side kick Joe sold me a helmet on the promise that it was ultra quiet. It was dirt cheap (less than R1000) and I bought it because it was so comfortable but it is really, really quiet. Closest to an anechoic chamber that is also a street legal helmet that I've found so far.  It is an HJC and the model appears to be CS14. Having said that, a great deal of the howl is from the gap around the nape of your neck and how the padding fits around your particular shaped head. I think I am a pretty regular shape though. Ian

That and the looseness of your jacket - it can make a huge racket around the shoulders/chest and back.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Dux

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »
Understand a few simple things , everyone has a different shaped head and certain helmets fit certain heads better than others , for me personally Arai could have used my head for a mould and Shark and Nolan are both a good fit , Shoei and AGV on the other hand do not fit me well at all .
And then once we have decided which helmet offers the best fit , most people go for a helmet that is a comfortable fit , and that is also a mistake , generally a good idea is to take a helmet that is slightly uncomfortable and will be so for the first few times it is worn , generally after an hour or 2 of use the helmet lining will compress to the shape of the users head . Now bear in mind that the lining on a helmet that is a comfortable fit will also compress and then the helmet will become a loose fit , which is also not comfortable or quiet .

And of course there is also another factor and that is the bike and or fairing /screen on the bike , I have ridden bikes where my helmet has been beautifully comfortable for 800km , then ridden the same bike with a touring screen and after 250km the noise was unbearable because the touring screen had channeled the noisy wind directly onto my helmet whereas with the stock screen I had clean wind on the helmet . So at the end of the day the noisy helmet might be something other than a bad fitting helmet .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:01 am »
Ear plugs boet.
'69 Model.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 07:26:51 am »
Agree with Dux and in the end no matter what helmet you buy is as Rossdog said....earplugs.  :thumleft:

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 07:49:39 am »
As they said, EARPLUGS!!

Much cheaper than a new helmet and your ears will thank you later...

Visit the "Ear Instute" for custom molded ones.
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Charlie600

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 07:58:18 am »
Shoei GT Air - all the reviews on the web are indeed true, not only the quietest but also the best lid that I've ever owned!

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 08:09:03 am »
If anyone grew up, like me in the 80's/90's then you'll remember Barney Simon on 5FM's famous saying:

"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

Just kidding bud.
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:32:34 am »
I suffer from Tinnitus, a constant ringing in the ears probaly from abuse when I was younger, but after riding wihtout earplus the ringing gets really intense for a few hours afterwards, wish I looked after my ears better when I grew up.
The more shit is on the outside of the helmet, ie vents, peak exposed screws etc the noisier it will be. i don't think we are going to find a DS helmet with a peak that can compare to a Schuberth road helmet though, but then we go a LOT slower than superbikes on a breakfast blast.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:03 am »
I use earplugs. You can buy tonnes of them for cheap cheap from a Builder's Warehouse. My hearing is valuable to me. Here are some interesting excerpts from an article that motorcyclists are at particular risk for permanent hearing loss:

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise."

if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph [56 kph] to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).

Below 30mph [48 kph], machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.

Offline El Lobo

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Quo Vadis?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
Does the Ear Institute do the trick, Ratel? At the last count user - specific ear plugs were about R1000.
Quo Vadis?

Offline Fario

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 07:56:12 pm »
I went and fitted a number of these at Spirit. The XL size, their largest, was way too small for me. I tried their Adventure bike and roadbike range. My normal helmet is an Arai in XL and a Bell M1 (also XL or 61). These fit me like a glove. As others have said, try them on for size first. My guess is that they are sized for Chinese or similar peanut sized heads :ricky:
Current:Honda Elsinore MT 250, MT,Yamaha RD 350A, Yamaha RD 50, Yamaha RD400C, Yamaha RD400D, Yamaha RD350LC, TZR125, TZR250, RZ50, TZR50R track bike, Honda GL1000
BMW F800GS (ex)...boring bike
BMW Dakar 07 (ex)....boring bike
KDX200 1991 (ex) Yamaha YZ's 125 (3) Suzuki RM 125 1989(ex) Yamaha IT 175 (2)Bultaco Pursang Mk 9 (70's) Honda MT250 Elsinore (70's) Yamaha Mini-Enduro 50 (70's) Bridgestone 50 Suzuki B120, Suzuki TS185, Montesa Cappra 250, KTM 250 XCF-W 2008, Yamaha IT250H, Yamaha WR250-F

Offline Fario

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 08:47:04 pm »
Sorry my post above was meant to be under the Spirit Helmet thread
Current:Honda Elsinore MT 250, MT,Yamaha RD 350A, Yamaha RD 50, Yamaha RD400C, Yamaha RD400D, Yamaha RD350LC, TZR125, TZR250, RZ50, TZR50R track bike, Honda GL1000
BMW F800GS (ex)...boring bike
BMW Dakar 07 (ex)....boring bike
KDX200 1991 (ex) Yamaha YZ's 125 (3) Suzuki RM 125 1989(ex) Yamaha IT 175 (2)Bultaco Pursang Mk 9 (70's) Honda MT250 Elsinore (70's) Yamaha Mini-Enduro 50 (70's) Bridgestone 50 Suzuki B120, Suzuki TS185, Montesa Cappra 250, KTM 250 XCF-W 2008, Yamaha IT250H, Yamaha WR250-F

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 09:27:57 pm »
Does the Ear Institute do the trick, Ratel? At the last count user - specific ear plugs were about R1000.

Yep for sure. I bought the No Noise plugs and they hurt after a few hours. The plugs made for you is the way to go,can wear them for hours without discomfort.
There is a chick in our Harley club that does it. Takes the moulds,then a week later you get your plugs. Cost is just under or just over R1k . Worth it I reckon.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep