Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
Re: Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 11:59:06 pm »
the most reliable motorcycle happens to be the one I ride right now. short answer.

Offline HB 9

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 04:36:31 am »
Before I could buy a motorcycle, I went to the head of Pretoria Traffic dept regarding their motorcycles.

My question was which ones was the most reliable and cost efficient as I had not a lot of money for services and repairs.

His answer was the BMW's went for services and tyres and didn't cost them anything else up to the time the Dept board the motorcycles on roughly 80 000km's.
He stressed that a traffic officer is a bit wild on the "bikes" and according to a survey - the clutch was pulled 7 000 times a shift.
The drive shafts and clutches never gave any problems.

I bought a BMW 1100 GS a few years later.....

I still don't have enough money...... :peepwall:

Either he was ignorant or he was spinning you a faerie tale. I regularly frequented Bavarian Motorcycles, when Bruce was still there and had free access to their workshop. I can tell many, many tales of totally f#cked up drives hafts and clutches from the Traffic Dept. I still vividly recall Simon pointing out to me a gearbox of which the splines were smooth as a spoon. Even Simon was shocked.

There is a huge difference between use and abuse.... :deal:

This was in 1988... I was not proven wrong yet in the 1100 GS I have the privilege in riding... :ricky:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:38:37 am by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:20 am »
Dit gaan nie oor betroubaarheid nie, dit behoort aan die vorige bestel. Dit gaan daaroor dat motorfietsverkope nie die bevolkingsamestelling verteenwoordig nie. Daar word nog steeds te veel BMW's verkoop en te min S10's. Moontlik is dit waarom Sani nou geteer moet word.

Ek weet ook nie sÍ julle maar.

So, wat jy basies sÍ is een of ander Minister, moet soos met die rugby en krieket, inmeng en S10 verkope afdwing sodat hulle darem ook verteenwoordig kan wees.  So tipe S10 Afirmative Action, opheffing van die swakkere ding?   :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline fixit

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 06:53:36 am »
KTM!!!

Ha ha. Just kidding.

:imaposer:

Seems they are on the next page? ;D
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Tp007

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
En verder op die onderwerp, sou interresant gewees het om te sien hoeveel vervaardigers die "failures" regmaak op hulle onkoste en hoeveel die "buck pass" na die verbruiker...

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 01:39:49 pm »
I saw a K75 Tshwane cop bike at Bavarian years ago.
Sadly the rider had been killed T-boning a car running a red.
The head was stripped off to redo the valves.
at 292 000kms the barrels had no sign of wear.
No ridge at TDC in the barrel.
Clutches are comsumable items.
The cops consume them rapidly!
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »
No surprise in these results!
End 2008 I bought a new G650 Xchallenge from Donford Motorad - a certain well respected person on their team told me (privately) that BMW's warranty claim rate was around 30% at that stage - with for example Honda's claim rate at less than 1% !!!  :o

My experience with the X - although a great little bike - confirmed that! Nothing serious, but there was always some or other little "thing" wrong - just enough to be irritating  .... Most were fixed by BM, but I never really got to "trust" the bike ....  :(

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 11:45:21 pm »
AMZ jy is amper reg. Hierdie is soos rugby, elke man het sy span of hy nou wen en of hy verloor dit bly sy span.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 07:22:06 am »
En verder op die onderwerp, sou interresant gewees het om te sien hoeveel vervaardigers die "failures" regmaak op hulle onkoste en hoeveel die "buck pass" na die verbruiker...

As jy die BMW ryers waarvoor failures reggemaak is op BMW se onkoste, dan is BMW saam met KTM op Fixit se "next page".
Rede waarom die eens magtige "Motorrad" vandag net 2 takke in die Wes-Kaap het, en dieselfde eienaar maak dit n totale monopolie. :lol8:
As jy wil kliente stilhou met verniet regmaak van failures, dan gaan net die sterkste tak bly staan.

En Donford is aansienlik taaier as dit by verniet regmaak kom. :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:18 am »
AMZ jy is amper reg. Hierdie is soos rugby, elke man het sy span of hy nou wen en of hy verloor dit bly sy span.

You cannot be more wrong. This is a survey, in which owners' respective experiences around motorcycle brands, in this case around reliability, is collected.
Yamaha came out on top, and this is as normal as the sun rising in the east.

Understand the survey, do not fear it, it is not telling you what to ride, although a wise man would see strong clues in it for future choices. :thumleft:

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:14 am »
I had a 82 GSXR750, after all those years, the bike had the following problems. 1. the speedo cable could not handle 240km/h and up and use to snap. The front brake caliper was damaged when the brake nipple rusted tight. The carbs was replaced with mikuni R type carbs because the old carbs slides were moeg after 200 000km.
normal service parts like break pads, oil, chain and sprockets

I sold the bike with over 200 000 km on the clock of this I did about 20k the rest was done by the previous owner that I know personally. He believed that the susbox needs to redline in every gear. He bought an R1 after the GSXR he did 80 000km on the R1 and then sold it(actually his wife forced him after he was arrested doing 300 on the N4)

I believe the Suzuki and Yamaha are excellent motorcycles.  My BMW is good but my next bike will be the Kawasaki 1000 Versys.

This is just because I don't know if Yamaha or Suzuki has a 4 cylinder contender for the XR.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:54:34 am by Ou Krokkedil »
I LOVE RIDING

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
Re:
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 09:21:22 am »
The one bike I owned was a '81 Suzuki GS 450 twin. I used it as a commuter and when I sold it had 147 000 odd kilometres on the clock.   That thing was reliable as a anvil and never gave trouble.   My current commuter is a '07 Kawasaki KLE 500. I have had it since new and it's now got 98 600 km on the clock.   Nearly 100 000. It doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil and has never given me any trouble except the rectifier. It's a incredibly well made reliable bike. Very underrated imo. The motor is very underdressed and you don't rev the crap out of it when cruising.   You doing just under 6000 rpm at 120 km/h.   The red line is 11 000 rpm. Makes you think...

Offline HB 9

Re:
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:11 am »
The one bike I owned was a '81 Suzuki GS 450 twin. I used it as a commuter and when I sold it had 147 000 odd kilometres on the clock.   That thing was reliable as a anvil and never gave trouble.   My current commuter is a '07 Kawasaki KLE 500. I have had it since new and it's now got 98 600 km on the clock.   Nearly 100 000. It doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil and has never given me any trouble except the rectifier. It's a incredibly well made reliable bike. Very underrated imo. The motor is very underdressed and you don't rev the crap out of it when cruising.   You doing just under 6000 rpm at 120 km/h.   The red line is 11 000 rpm. Makes you think...

Congratulations on the high mileages you manage on your bikes  :thumleft:

The key is regular maintenance and not abuse it...  :deal:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:44:56 pm by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:28 am »
Honda Transalp XL650V - nearly 174k kms.......10 years old now... no problems yet. :deal:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
Re:
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 12:53:36 pm »
The one bike I owned was a '81 Suzuki GS 450 twin. I used it as a commuter and when I sold it had 147 000 odd kilometres on the clock.   That thing was reliable as a anvil and never gave trouble.   My current commuter is a '07 Kawasaki KLE 500. I have had it since new and it's now got 98 600 km on the clock.   Nearly 100 000. It doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil and has never given me any trouble except the rectifier. It's a incredibly well made reliable bike. Very underrated imo. The motor is very underdressed and you don't rev the crap out of it when cruising.   You doing just under 6000 rpm at 120 km/h.   The red line is 11 000 rpm. Makes you think...

Congratulations on the high mileages you mange on your bikes  :thumleft:

The key is regular maintenance and not abuse it...  :deal:
Thanks HB 9  :thumleft:  As you mentioned i atribute this to regular maintenance.  I'm a bit anal about that.   :laughing4:  I change the oil on the KLE with a semi synthetic every 6000 km.  It's a bit of a over kill as the manual says every 12 000 km, but that's ok.  It's the least I can do to get good longevity out of the engine.  :thumleft:

Offline BLK

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »
You failed to indicate on what date that report was prepared.From what I recall that report is not current.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »
nee man, nou gaan jy al die bmw manne in hul broekies laat pipi!

All bikes are equally reliable.

some are just more equal than others
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Ortos

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 04:35:36 pm »
the most reliable motorcycle happens to be the one I ride right now. short answer.

......2nd most reliable - sy groot boetie het daai eer XRV 750 Africa Twin - "and that is all she wrote!"
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Offline Single Cylinder

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 05:36:52 pm »
The Japanese as far as I know.  :evil6: :evil6:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 06:40:14 pm »
Free bump.

:thumleft: