Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190R Broken Frame  (Read 14794 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: 1190R Broken Frame
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »
thanks for the feedback 2wdrift  :thumleft:

oompie manic dropped his bike from a trailer and killed a buck with his, so........ ::)

I was sure KTM would sort the frame for you (if not, I would have helped you cause loads of kak)

If you are still concerned about your motor, you could always do a leakdown test, even if you had to pay for that yourself, it should show if the air filter caused any damage, but if the bike goes as well as it did in the beginning, I wouldn't worry too much

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
Nice one dude.

You should've asked for a new Airbox while youre at it, plus a new engine, and perhaps a new shock.

Milk it!

ha ha
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
Re:
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »
Yeah the bike is still under warranty so no way in hell would I have paid.

I love the bike but after nearly two year on it I think I want to move on. The 950SE is calling... That and a DL650 will have me sorted for bikes.

I would recommend one to anyone who asks but I think I am a bit over the sooperbike on dirt.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline silvrav

Re:
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »
Oh yeah I almost forgot. KTM is sending a new frame free of charge. It should be here next friday and then its a good three days to rebuild the bike onto another frame.

It simply is the right thing to do. Hope you have many more enjoyable kms on this bike!!!

good news! faith restored!

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 02:15:21 pm »
Goof for them as thats bad manufacture
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
Definitely looks like a dodgy weld.

At least it's getting sorted.

Offline Toors

• Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:47 am »
Good news. But don't forget the unifilter and the Hilton Hayward suspension and the excell rims and ..... if you want to go into Africa.
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:47 am »

It has cracked in the HAZ of the weld, which is the weakest part, but should still not happen with proper QC.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »
Good news. But don't forget the unifilter and the Hilton Hayward suspension and the excell rims and ..... if you want to go into Africa.

I'm selling. So there shall be no further upgrades or repairs on this bike from me. I'm tired of KTM's refusal to acknowledge that there are faults on the bikes and them giving me a hard time on the warranty work like with the suspension. Why buy a new bike if the warranty is useless.

Getting a 950SE and a touring bike.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Braaap!
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »
Please can we perhaps chat about swopping seats before you sell?
I really like the PowerParts seats, and would appreciate it if you would consider.

Sorry to hear you are giving up on the 1190 'brand" but at least you're staying with team orange...

I'm selling. So there shall be no further upgrades or repairs on this bike from me. I'm tired of KTM's refusal to acknowledge that there are faults on the bikes and them giving me a hard time on the warranty work like with the suspension. Why buy a new bike if the warranty is useless.

If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 12:45:52 pm »
I really like the PowerParts seats, and would appreciate it if you would consider.

Sorry to hear you are giving up on the 1190 'brand" but at least you're staying with team orange...

I will have to hear what the dealership would give me for mine with the heated seats vs standard. Plus you need the switches installed on your bike for the seats as well.

Dont get me wrong I love the bike, but I cant trust my specific one. And for me that means no trips into africa, or rides in remote areas, as was the original plan that I actually bought the bike for.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Braaap!
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:23 pm »
Thanks dude do that, but seriously, I couldn't care less about the heated seats, KTM 1190's bake my balls enough not to need them.
I want them for the comfort and the image...

I will have to hear what the dealership would give me for mine with the heated seats vs standard. Plus you need the switches installed on your bike for the seats as well.

Dont get me wrong I love the bike, but I cant trust my specific one. And for me that means no trips into africa, or rides in remote areas, as was the original plan that I actually bought the bike for.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »
Thanks dude do that, but seriously, I couldn't care less about the heated seats, KTM 1190's bake my balls enough not to need them.
I want them for the comfort and the image...

Hahaha I will ask the guys. It should be finished by tomorrow so I will probably go there and hear what they would offer on monday.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Braaap!
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »
Thanks bud. Good luck with the sale!

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »
Ok so the saga continues, I went to trax today to go and have a look at my bike.

They showed me that there was another spot on the frame that was broken at the bottom, and on my new frame it has been strengthened on both of these spots. I love that it was strengthened.

I then walked over to my motor in the new frame and checked the throttle valves (forget the other name now) and find them nice and dusty. So my motor has been ingesting dust with KTM's brilliant DNA filter that they gave me.

Now I am not sure what to do. Sue them, CPA and get a new bike, keep my bike with its reinforced frame and ask for a new motor. Or CPA get new bike and sell it for more than I can sell mine now.

But under no circumstances do I want a 1190 out of warranty.

Xchallenge you said you had the contact details for KTMSA? I would like to have a chat to the KTM sa boss about my specific case. 
XR650R the one and only

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »
Ok so the saga continues, I went to trax today to go and have a look at my bike.

They showed me that there was another spot on the frame that was broken at the bottom, and on my new frame it has been strengthened on both of these spots. I love that it was strengthened.

I then walked over to my motor in the new frame and checked the throttle valves (forget the other name now) and find them nice and dusty. So my motor has been ingesting dust with KTM's brilliant DNA filter that they gave me.

Now I am not sure what to do. Sue them, CPA and get a new bike, keep my bike with its reinforced frame and ask for a new motor. Or CPA get new bike and sell it for more than I can sell mine now.

Xchallenge you said you had the contact details for KTMSA? I would like to have a chat to the KTM sa boss about my specific case. 

NAIL them! KTM should wake fuck up! :deal:

I wonder if the fiches indicate a different part number?

Has your bike still got the 'old' airbox?

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2015, 12:22:36 pm »

NAIL them! KTM should wake fuck up! :deal:

I wonder if the fiches indicate a different part number?

Has your bike still got the 'old' airbox?

Old airbox and DNA as recommended by KTM themselves.

They engraved my old VIN numbers and the works onto the new frame.
I would love having a 1190 with a special custom frame, but not if the motor is fuct.
XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »

XR650R the one and only

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2015, 12:27:48 pm »
where did your frame break? I assume it was on the main and not the sub-frame?

had a quick look, but it seems the R has same main frame from 13 to 15, except if they have all been updated

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:38 pm »
Looking at the image you posted it seems they have all been updated. And in that case my bike is not some special build, uhh I should have checked with the mechanics before I got exited about a reinforced frame.  ::)

This should mean two things, they have had other issues in the same areas on the frames. And I dont have to feel bad about getting a special frame and then taking them on.
XR650R the one and only