Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190R Broken Frame  (Read 14582 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: 1190R Broken Frame
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 10:17:47 am »
Out of interest, what exactly is the problem on these? The airbox has cracks or leaking seals or something and lets dust in? Or the filter doesn't seal against the airbox and lets dust in? Or the dust goes straight through the filter? Got to be one of the three...

When I bought my X-Challenge some years ago (paper filter) it had dust in the inlet. Briefly switched to K&N filter (same system as DNA, right?) but that was rubbish for offroad. Got a Unifilter (oiled foam) and that was the last of my problems. Oiled foam filters work well, but you've got to treat them like a dirt bike - clean and re-oil often. And grease the flange. It's not a "fit and forget between services" item.

Now only ride dirt bikes and I'm used to changing filters every or every second ride.

a combination of two problems exists on some bikes:
filter not seating properly against airbox walls
airbox lid not sealing properly

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:10 am »
Netso ja, so you pay R180 000 for the bike, but refuse to pay R1000 extra so it can last. Instead you hold onto your R1000 for fuel, then blow the engine.

The ONLY problem with engine is the airbox, so sort it and you have a machine for life!

I think that R1000 is worth it  :thumleft:
Well, if I pay that much for a bike, am I unreasonable in expecting that the airbox should function 100% at all times? Isn't this the same as saying - buy the bike, but before you ride it sort the airbox otherwise your engine will not last, and the bike is not fit for purpose without it.

The problem is that these bikes are not really designed for our African conditions, where we have endless dirt roads. As owners we need to appreciate this and make sure the air filter is doing its job and not allowing the dust in.
Nonsense - they bring these bikes to Africa - why not see to it that they are fit for our conditions? They should at least adapt the bike before you buy it, not so?

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
Netso ja, so you pay R180 000 for the bike, but refuse to pay R1000 extra so it can last. Instead you hold onto your R1000 for fuel, then blow the engine.

The ONLY problem with engine is the airbox, so sort it and you have a machine for life!

I think that R1000 is worth it  :thumleft:
Well, if I pay that much for a bike, am I unreasonable in expecting that the airbox should function 100% at all times? Isn't this the same as saying - buy the bike, but before you ride it sort the airbox otherwise your engine will not last, and the bike is not fit for purpose without it.

The problem is that these bikes are not really designed for our African conditions, where we have endless dirt roads. As owners we need to appreciate this and make sure the air filter is doing its job and not allowing the dust in.
Nonsense - they bring these bikes to Africa - why not see to it that they are fit for our conditions? They should at least adapt the bike before you buy it, not so?

I agree they should; but at the end of day it is your asset and therefore your responsibility. 

For example; a 10,000 km service interval is very different on a bike ridden only on the highway when compared to a bike spending 80% of it's time on dirt roads. At the end of the day the manufacturers can only give recommendations on service intervals based on averages, if your bike falls outside the average you need to do more regular maintenance. Air filters and oil are top of the list when it comes to regular maintenance.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:39 am »
The problem is not that the bikes werent designed for africa. The problem is they had a retard design the airbox, they have the same issues in europe with dust ingestion. Even if the guys never ride them on dirt there is still dust bypassing the filter farking up the motor.

The frame seems to be a common problem as well.

I mean FFS why build a awesome bike and then weaken it at certain key points thus making it useless for anything other than a weekend trip to the cafe in your neighborhood?
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2015, 11:10:46 am »
The problem is not that the bikes werent designed for africa. The problem is they had a retard design the airbox, they have the same issues in europe with dust ingestion. Even if the guys never ride them on dirt there is still dust bypassing the filter farking up the motor.

I mean FFS why build a awesome bike and then weaken it at certain key points thus making it useless for anything other than a weekend trip to the cafe in your neighborhood?

I am guessing here, because I don't know what the airbox design is, but I think it all about airflow, to get optimal power and still beat the emissions regulations.

As for the frame they learn to strengthen certain areas by trial and error in the field so to say. It costs a lot of money to test a frame to fatigue destruction.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:12:57 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:55 am »

I am guessing here, because I don't know what the airbox design is, but I think it all about airflow, to get optimal power and still beat the emissions regulations.

As for the frame they learn to strengthen certain areas by trial and error in the field so to say. It costs a lot of money to test a frame to fatigue destruction.

No the airbox doesnt seal propperly so the air doesnt go through the filter, they fucked this one up good and proper.
Being taken to court when someone gets badly injured from a frame breaking wont cost more than decent testing?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:20:14 am by 2wdrift »
XR650R the one and only

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2015, 11:21:35 am »
GET A OIL SAMPLE TEST DONE NOW!!!!!

I am embarrassed to admit that I owned a propella bike once upon a time and the air filter sucked into the air box, after a year of fighting they replaced the engine, complete! One of the main reasons I had a leg to stand on was that the oil had silca (sand) and a small amount of water in it. I had insisted on a oil test as the agents insisted that I accept that the bike is ok and warrantee will sort out any problems in the future. The dust can only get into the oil by going past the rings proving that excessive wear had taken place. The water pump seal had been damaged (I am told) by the dust in the oil causing water to contaminate. 9 months of fighting I got my bike back.

The oil contaminate test is often used in heavy machinery to establish wear.

The report you get from the test will give you either peace of mind (if clean) or proof for a claim. If they supply a new engine you basically will have a new bike.

Good Luck.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2015, 11:31:42 am »
Just buy a GS :pot:

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
GET A OIL SAMPLE TEST DONE NOW!!!!!

I am embarrassed to admit that I owned a propella bike once upon a time and the air filter sucked into the air box, after a year of fighting they replaced the engine, complete! One of the main reasons I had a leg to stand on was that the oil had silca (sand) and a small amount of water in it. I had insisted on a oil test as the agents insisted that I accept that the bike is ok and warrantee will sort out any problems in the future. The dust can only get into the oil by going past the rings proving that excessive wear had taken place. The water pump seal had been damaged (I am told) by the dust in the oil causing water to contaminate. 9 months of fighting I got my bike back.

The oil contaminate test is often used in heavy machinery to establish wear.

The report you get from the test will give you either peace of mind (if clean) or proof for a claim. If they supply a new engine you basically will have a new bike.

Good Luck.

I am not interested in tests or repairs, I am selling and I dont want another 1190. They can keep it, it a wonderfull bike let down by pathetic customer service and rubbish design on certain crucial points. 
XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2015, 11:49:57 am »
Just buy a GS :pot:

Currently using my friends 2012 GSA to commute and so forth, the same model as I owned in 2013. On the tar its very nice to ride, it really is one of the best long distance bikes I have ever felt.

Riding sedately(ish) on our dirt road I sometimes bottom it out even set up with max preload and hard settings. And you can sort of point it in a direction but your not really in control of your line, especially in the sand. Or at least I have this feeling with the GS. I took a 2015GSA for a test ride the other day, on tar once again it was impressively comfortable, but the moment I got on the dirt I could feel the suspension was way too soft and the chassis had a lot more flex that the 1190. It feels really unhappy on dirt IMHO.
XR650R the one and only

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »
How did they stamp the vin number? If  by hand, a future police clearance might become a challenge .

Offline Dux

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
How did they stamp the vin number? If  by hand, a future police clearance might become a challenge .

If KTM replace a frame or engine they supply one with the original number punched in at the factory to prevent any licensing issues .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 01:51:23 pm »

If KTM replace a frame or engine they supply one with the original number punched in at the factory to prevent any licensing issues .

Jip
XR650R the one and only

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:17 pm »
Well I'm definitely going to get the new airbox bits and retrofit just in case.  There are 2 new parts in the 2015 airbox compared to the '13 and '14 ones and it seems them + unifilter work pretty well.

Guys have even had trouble with the Rottweiler setup it seems. Rott is now making a deflector in front of their airbox so the air doesnt go straight into it like before.  It seems KTM designed the intake track from the front too well, and the airbox not well enough hahaha

Offline TornadoF5

• Limited Edition®
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • He who never dreams, sleeps his life away
    • TornadoF5
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2015, 02:04:37 pm »
....and now might be the time to speak with Charl aka Charliepappa he is wanting to sell his SE!!
His number is 082-897-4333

Always outnumbered, but NEVER outgunned.....

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »
....and now might be the time to speak with Charl aka Charliepappa he is wanting to sell his SE!!
His number is 082-897-4333

I have my eye on one already, but thanks I will keep the number.
XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2015, 06:26:00 pm »
I went to trax ktm today as my bike is finished.

It all looks good and right and everyone was friendly until I asked what they did about my airfilter leaking, the mechanic gave me a funny look and said that they cant do anything about that.

I then asked them if they would like to buy my bike as I am actually quite disappointed in the bike overall. They basically said not yet and they could look at it in a month.

I am not impressed, have since cooled down and now I would like to ask advice on how to proceed. I would like to know if someone here has experience with the consumer protection act as the bike is not suitable for the purpose it is advertised for.

I am pretty close to never wanting anything to do with any KTM product or anything orange ever again.

Any advice please. And I will probably go and pick the bike up tomorrow, on a trailer.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:40 pm »
maybe first a letter to KTM SA and KTM Austria?

Doubt if you can lodge a complaint without having exhausted all official avenues......

Maybe contact this guy and ask his advice as well? He helped me getting wiring diagrams for the 1290 before the service manual was available
BRIAN TODD
CUSTOMER SERVICE
KTM MOTORCYCLES SA (PTY) LTD
Unit 4, 251 Aintree Ave
Northriding Commercial Park
North Riding, 2194
South Africa
P: +27 (0) 11 462 7796
F: +27 (0) 11 462 7182
Fax mail 086 218 0361
brian@ktmsa.co.za

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2015, 06:36:15 pm »
How much mileage and when did you get it?

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
Re:
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:14 pm »
Thanks bundu.

I got it in 09/01/2014 and it has around 25k km on.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only