Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190R Broken Frame  (Read 14685 times)

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: 1190R Broken Frame
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 07:37:21 am »
How is this KTM's fault?  Surely a buyer should do his own research before buying?

Ok easy there tiger. Let's try to keep the discussion technical

The name is AMZ, not so much tiger.

I am interested in understanding why 2wdrift feels that way, so I asked him.  I am pretty sure he is able to respond and will do so shortly.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 08:00:57 am »
 :sip:

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 08:02:19 am »
find out from manic what happened to his frame crack story - I would insist KTM fixes! :deal:

I'm beginning to believe that KTM sold me a bike that isnt suitable for the purpose. Hence I may be able to claim via the consumer protection act.

After the airbox fuckup and suspension issues I have had plus this I dont know if I want the bike back, especially when I bought it to travel through africa. I cant trust it.
Dont get me wrong its one of the best all round bikes on the planet IMHO but its just not the right bike for me.

How is this KTM's fault?  Surely a buyer should do his own research before buying?

KTM advertising has pictures of the bike being ridden hard in a desert somewhere, there are pics of the bike being jumped and being drifted around with "luggage" on the bike. I saw those pics and said, yes I ride like that often they advertise the bike using those images so the bike must have been built for that. Thus leading me to believe that the 1190R was built with the purpose of being ridden off the beaten path at speed as shown in those pictures.

After having said that, the airbox issues left me with a very bad taste in my mouth with denials of the problem left right and centre. For a bike obviously designed to be ridden off paved roads or even just in africa this is unacceptable. The suspension is so easily bottomed out that I had decent damage from riding a normal dirt road and hitting a bit of a bump, where my 1200GSA was fine, they did not do a warranty claim. The front rim bent and went flat instantly when I hit a rock the size of a tennis ball at about 60-70km/h, nearly causing a crash while I was riding rather slowly and carefully on a road I ride every day.  

There have been numerous little things that broke while just riding normally on washboard gravel roads, yet this is an adventure bike for the more off road rider.

When I bought the bike I told the salesman what I plan on using the bike for, and how I tend to ride over what terrain. He was adamant that the bike is perfect for what I want to do with it. After this I asked them to fit the unifilter, he once again was adamant that the airbox issues were solved on the 2014 models so he convinced me not to go that route. At 10k km when the bike wouldnt run anymore due to dust bypassing the airfilter and fucking up the motor. They told me it was just a valve clearance issue and when I mentioned I would prefer a new motor for peace of mind I was looked at as though I was crazy.

I cant trust this bike in africa like my original plan was for the bike.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline silvrav

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 08:26:40 am »
eish, en ek kyk na n 1190....sal maar moet 2 keur dink nou

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 08:41:25 am »

I wouldnt let this stop you.

These are forums, and forums tend to be a collection of problems and okes dont post the thousands of brilliant KMs they did, only the 3 shitty ones.

It seems the Unifilter or Rotti setup cures the airbox problems. That's a fix for that, so don't even worry about it.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 08:50:08 am »

Do you weigh more than 110kg? Do you ride hard off road? Do you believe sales people?

If yes to two or more then dont. Otherwise its the most fun bike ever.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 08:55:05 am »
2WD can you perhaps post some pics of the crack/s that would indicate exactly where they are?

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 08:58:27 am »
I will, I am going to the dealership this morning. Should be there around 11 ish. Will take pics and attempt to post via tapatalk.
XR650R the one and only

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 09:00:39 am »

KTM advertising has pictures of the bike being ridden hard in a desert somewhere, there are pics of the bike being jumped and being drifted around with "luggage" on the bike. I saw those pics and said, yes I ride like that often they advertise the bike using those images so the bike must have been built for that. Thus leading me to believe that the 1190R was built with the purpose of being ridden off the beaten path at speed as shown in those pictures.

After having said that, the airbox issues left me with a very bad taste in my mouth with denials of the problem left right and centre. For a bike obviously designed to be ridden off paved roads or even just in africa this is unacceptable. The suspension is so easily bottomed out that I had decent damage from riding a normal dirt road and hitting a bit of a bump, where my 1200GSA was fine, they did not do a warranty claim. The front rim bent and went flat instantly when I hit a rock the size of a tennis ball at about 60-70km/h, nearly causing a crash while I was riding rather slowly and carefully on a road I ride every day.  

There have been numerous little things that broke while just riding normally on washboard gravel roads, yet this is an adventure bike for the more off road rider.

When I bought the bike I told the salesman what I plan on using the bike for, and how I tend to ride over what terrain. He was adamant that the bike is perfect for what I want to do with it. After this I asked them to fit the unifilter, he once again was adamant that the airbox issues were solved on the 2014 models so he convinced me not to go that route. At 10k km when the bike wouldnt run anymore due to dust bypassing the airfilter and fucking up the motor. They told me it was just a valve clearance issue and when I mentioned I would prefer a new motor for peace of mind I was looked at as though I was crazy.

I cant trust this bike in africa like my original plan was for the bike.

Thanks.   :thumleft:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:34 am »

These are forums, and forums tend to be a collection of problems and okes dont post the thousands of brilliant KMs they did, only the 3 shitty ones.

It seems the Unifilter or Rotti setup cures the airbox problems. That's a fix for that, so don't even worry about it.

Who pays for the unifilter/Rotti? Dealer or me?

Do you weigh more than 110kg? Do you ride hard off road? Do you believe sales people?

113ish.... and no probably wont ride like you but the day i want to i dont want to/have to think twice

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 09:14:55 am »
I will, I am going to the dealership this morning. Should be there around 11 ish. Will take pics and attempt to post via tapatalk.

which dealer? I might drop by.....

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:18 am »
There is a reason I buy Jap bikes, reliability, and no this aint a knock on the ready to race crowd my son won national titles on KTM but I seriously find the strongest bikes in just about all respects to be Japanese.
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 09:20:18 am »

Who pays for the unifilter/Rotti? Dealer or me?

113ish.... and no probably wont ride like you but the day i want to i dont want to/have to think twice

I think sometimes we need to remember that it isn't a dirtbike.   It's a touring bike that can be taken onto dirt when the need arises but it's still a 230kg 150hp giant.

If you are buying a  new bike I'm sure you could negotiate a Unifilter in the deal. I paid for mine because I felt the peace of mind was worth the R1000 cost. I ight still add the new 2015 airbox bits as well.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
Re:
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:04 am »
Its at Trax KTM.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 11:48:28 am »

XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2015, 11:49:12 am »

XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
Re:
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »
@silvrav

I probably did about 40% of my riding on dirt, and considering it has about 24k km on the clock its a fair bit of riding hard on dirt that I did. As far as I know its the first bike this happened on (excluding manic's one but he is manic so...)
and looking at the crack I think it was a bad weld from the factory on my specific bike.

It was the most epic bike I have ever owned.  

Jammer oom manic, moenie raas met my nie...

XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
Re:
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2015, 12:21:11 pm »
Oh yeah I almost forgot. KTM is sending a new frame free of charge. It should be here next friday and then its a good three days to rebuild the bike onto another frame.

XR650R the one and only

Offline Toffie@2

• Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »
Glad to hear it 2WD! I hope you have many happy miles to come!! :thumleft:
Yamaha 175 IT
Yamaha 125 YBR (Varsity wiele)
2007 BMW F650GS
2014 KTM 1190 Adv (Sold)
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re:
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 12:56:47 pm »
Oh yeah I almost forgot. KTM is sending a new frame free of charge. It should be here next friday and then its a good three days to rebuild the bike onto another frame.

It simply is the right thing to do. Hope you have many more enjoyable kms on this bike!!!
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA