Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190R Broken Frame  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: 1190R Broken Frame
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2015, 08:02:45 pm »
Send the KTM to me tomorrow, and I will get the money to pay you for it from RAD. How's that sound? 😀😉

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2015, 09:43:46 pm »
Send the KTM to me tomorrow, and I will get the money to pay you for it from RAD. How's that sound? 😀😉

If only I could trust you forum people it would have been halfway there by now...  :deal:
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:41 am »
I have sent an email to Brian and will report back to you guys how KTM handles this situation.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2015, 10:15:39 am »
I think it's too late for a CPA return. Usually I think there's a 6 month "implied warranty" but I'm not sure about on a new bike.  Good luck man.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2015, 10:21:37 am »
I think it's too late for a CPA return. Usually I think there's a 6 month "implied warranty" but I'm not sure about on a new bike.  Good luck man.
I'll start doing research.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2015, 10:39:36 am »

I'm not so sure - his argument is the bike has never been "fit-for-purpose"

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2015, 10:47:26 am »
But now that I have cooled down and no longer want to have a long painfull fight I would rather sort this out with KTM. If all else fails I can brand my bike and park it next to a few KTM dealerships...
XR650R the one and only

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2015, 10:52:14 am »
Trust your fellow wilddogs man 😁👍

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:47 am »
But now that I have cooled down and no longer want to have a long painfull fight I would rather sort this out with KTM. If all else fails I can brand my bike and park it next to a few KTM dealerships...

handled correctly, I'm sure you will come right  :thumleft:

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »
I had a quick chat to the head mechanic at trax and he said he would try and help me and perhaps try and organise something with head office at well. I really appreciated that. And my problem doesnt really lie with the mechanics or dealerships its with KTM's refusal to take responsibility for their fuckups.

But my point still stands that I have a motor full of dirt and a warranty that expires in january.
XR650R the one and only

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2015, 11:33:03 am »
I contacted Brian at KTM (thanks bundu) he said I would get another year of warranty if anything goes wrong with the engine. I think this is a good compromise.

I asked if I can clean the filter myself and not void the warranty and he agreed. I asked about the unifilter and he said it would not void the warranty but they believe the DNA is good enough. I will ask Trax to do a leakdown test and have them fit the 2015 airbox. I will ask Trax to also show me how to clean the filter just for the warranty's sake.

I have another year on the bike at least so I am pretty happy with the outcome. I was expecting no real help or solution from them so I was pleasantly surprised.
XR650R the one and only

Online Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2015, 11:37:16 am »
Sounds like a fair deal to me, but I would ask them to make special note on their system that even if your motor had to die after your extended warranty ends, that they honour the fact and acknowledge that the engine problem as as a result of their faulty airbag in the first 2 years, and not through any fault of your own.

Not saying anything will happen, but should it later down the line, at least Brian's acknowledgement is on record for your sake should another customer service representative eventually take over from him during this time.

Well done.
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2015, 12:35:58 pm »
I contacted Brian at KTM (thanks bundu) he said I would get another year of warranty if anything goes wrong with the engine. I think this is a good compromise.

I asked if I can clean the filter myself and not void the warranty and he agreed. I asked about the unifilter and he said it would not void the warranty but they believe the DNA is good enough. I will ask Trax to do a leakdown test and have them fit the 2015 airbox. I will ask Trax to also show me how to clean the filter just for the warranty's sake.

I have another year on the bike at least so I am pretty happy with the outcome. I was expecting no real help or solution from them so I was pleasantly surprised.

that's good to hear!  :thumleft:

I would make sure I have a recording of the conversation or something on paper  :deal:

now ride that fucking thing!  ;) :biggrin:

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
It was all done via email. So I have record of it.  :thumleft:
XR650R the one and only

Offline Fudge

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2015, 12:43:41 pm »

:thumleft:
Honda XR125L
Honda XL600R
Honda XR600R
Yamaha TW200

Offline Toffie@2

• Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2015, 01:56:17 pm »

that's good to hear!  :thumleft:

I would make sure I have a recording of the conversation or something on paper  :deal:

now ride that fucking thing!  ;) :biggrin:

Great news! Glad for you 2wdrift :biggrin:
Yamaha 175 IT
Yamaha 125 YBR (Varsity wiele)
2007 BMW F650GS
2014 KTM 1190 Adv (Sold)
2012 Honda XR650L

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:50 pm »

Why would cleaning the airfilter yourself void the Warranty?
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »

I think he was perhaps just overly cautious and concerned that him fiddling with the problematic area, would result in KTM coming up with shit arguments

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:54 am »

I think he was perhaps just overly cautious and concerned that him fiddling with the problematic area, would result in KTM coming up with shit arguments

Yes, I have had dealings with a certain car manufacturer where they claimed the incorrect fitting of certain parts. Even after I asked them if they would come to malawi to fix the car them selves. So I am just being cautious and not taking any chances.
XR650R the one and only

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2019, 06:36:47 pm »
My buddy's 1190 frame cracked last week.  Did a search and then found this YouTube vid of a similar incident.

https://youtu.be/fRh9PdvEbfk