Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC Battery? Or something else wrong?  (Read 736 times)

Offline OomD

LC Battery? Or something else wrong?
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:20:31 pm »
While standing close to my bike this afternoon I heard a distinct relay-click. I thought it strange, the bike was last ridden yesterday so technically everything should be powered down. Listen carefully, and yes... just about every minute there's a distinct click in the vicinity of the battery.

Turned the bike on, it cranked slowly. Measured the battery, it was 11.4 volt. That's just about flat. Or very close. Strange thing is, she's never done this before (the clicking or the sudden flat battery). It's a year old, 2014 model and I now have 16000km's on the clock. I ride the bike every day, commuting to work and then weekends too.

So, should the battery die so quickly? A year seems quite soon... And, is the battery covered by warrantee? Or is there something on the bike draining the battery? The periodic relay click could off course be either the result or cause of the low battery.

I hooked up a GS911, only 1 fault code from about 1000km's ago (lambda sensor improbable value). I cleared that fault code, there are no other faults present.

Ideas, guys? I'm hoping this is not going to influence the coming trophy weekend...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:22:04 pm by OomD »

Offline TheBear

Re: LC Battery? Or something else wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:28:42 pm »
There was an issue with batteries some time ago. There could have been a recall, but memory fails me on the details.

Mine packed up at about 11 000km and was replaced under warranty.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline mac4gs

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
I had exactly the same problem some time ago. Anything plugged into the Hella-type plug will cause battery drainage when bike is switched off. I had a Tom-Tom Rider bike mount connected to Hella plug and although I removed the Tom-Tom GPS unit when bike was switched off the mount device was still plugged in and caused battery to run flat after about 3 days. I could also hear relay clicks every 2 to 3 minutes when bike was switched off. The secret is to remove Hella plug as soon as bike is switched off.

Offline OomD

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »
I had exactly the same problem some time ago. Anything plugged into the Hella-type plug will cause battery drainage when bike is switched off. I had a Tom-Tom Rider bike mount connected to Hella plug and although I removed the Tom-Tom GPS unit when bike was switched off the mount device was still plugged in and caused battery to run flat after about 3 days. I could also hear relay clicks every 2 to 3 minutes when bike was switched off. The secret is to remove Hella plug as soon as bike is switched off.
That is interesting. I connected a USB charger to the hella plug. But, the hella plug is supposed to turn off after a while. It's not supposed to stay on permanently? I'll go check it quickly...

Offline mac4gs

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:17:41 pm »
I have no problem using BMW's trickle charger via Hella plug whilst charging but do leave plugged in when switching charger off.

Offline mac4gs

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:19:40 pm »
correction: do not leave charger plugged into Hella plug when switching charger off at mains supply. Disconnect Hella plug.

Offline OomD

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:35:23 pm »
Ja nee wraggies. I just checked and the USB charger is still powered. I unplugged it now, and have the battery on charge. Then I went looking through the manual and guess what? It explicitly states that the power socket is turned off 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

So, my guess was that it is okay to leave a USB charger plugged in as the hella socket shoudl turn,off, but the bike does not turn it off... In contradiction to what is stated in the manual.

Maybe they tried to be clever with the software and keep the socket on of the current drawn is very little. But even a little current drawn over a period of time will drain the battery.

Oh well. Anyway thanks for the heads up!