Amageza 2015 What worked, what did not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
The idea is to give feedback on what worked well and what did not.  Not in terms of brands, but conceptionally.  I've done this 3 years in a row, and you learn lessons every time.  Please feel free to add.

Good:

I took a 2nd helmet and switched at Hakskeenpan.  It was so worth it.
Clear Goggles:  I carried a 2nd set that had clear lenses.  I think it saved my butt on the Stage 2 liaison.
I struggle with stretchers, they fill the tent and does not allow trommels, etc in.  I used a 7cm thick self inflatable mattress.  I had a decent night's sleeping every night.
Toolbag:  I took a waist toolbag with my plakkies and underwear for the marathon stage.  The idea was to ditch everything that was dirty.  I ended up keeping the toolbag as it was a major mission to remove my backpack every time I wanted to eat or pay for fuel.  Interestingly enough, I carried the bag on either hip, as it would either interfere with the backpack or catch on the bike's tailpack when sitting/standing up.

Bad:

I cannot get the Leatt soft armour to fit, so I use conventional plastic protectors.  I knew the arm guards were not shaping up, but went with it any way.  Major mistake.  Maybe this does not so much apply to arm guards but to stuff that you are not comfortable with...
For some reason, my trommels were not well organised. I need to stick in cardboard dividers and then a sheet in paper in the top detailing what is in which division.  On a related matter, one of the MM guys, likely T9ER, said he would modify a lid to open 180 degrees so that you have a working surface while servicing the bike.  Brilliant.