Witsand ride with a 83 XL250R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
One of the guys that works with me loves tinkering and loves old bikes. His dad has some old Guzzis and their yard and garage is filled with old bikes, parts of old bikes and, well, lots of stuff.

He's quite handy and has built up an old XL from parts he sourced from wherever he could find it. He could easily afford a new bike but chose to build his own.

I had an XL 250 in the early eighties but it was the dark silver one with the teardrop tank. This one was slightly younger and had the newer tank and plastics. Even so it brought back a lot of memories as my boet had one exactly like this and we had some great times on the bikes.

So during the week he said we should take a ride to Witsand. His bike has all the electrics and number plate but isn't registered, so we would have to take farm roads.
Not a problem.

We arranged a meeting place and set off around 2 this afternoon. I almost left my sweater at home and rode in a T-shirt because it was quite hot. Well it wasn't long before we rode into a fierce headwind, and I wished I had brought a jacket.

The ride there - 60km from Buffeljags Garage where we met took us an hour and a half. We were riding into a fierce headwind and we stopped about 4 times to check on his bike and every time we stopped he pulled out cigarettes.

Anyway we were in no hurry.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0653.JPG