Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ neutral light  (Read 941 times)

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
DRZ neutral light
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:10 am »
The neutral light on my DRZ stopped working last week, after a bit of research on the net it was suggested that the problem is rarely with a fuse or the LED, but usually points to something more serious.

A day or two later I noticed some oil missing, and on inspection it looks like the oil is leaking from that part with the wires that goes into the gearbox, on the lefthand side, just in front and below the front sprocket. Is this a common problem, has anybody else experienced it? How do you fix this?

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
Re: DRZ neutral light
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:57:36 pm »
Check under the seat, there is a blue wire that goes into a connector joint , some times you get a bad connection there and the light works some times and then just stops, also it only works if the bike is running , I had the same problem and just replaced the connectors and it sort it out.
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »
The wires on the left side are likely your alternator and magneto loom? If it leaks from there it was disassembled and incorrectly put together. Means it should not leak unless you broke it which is not really a common problem.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »
Not sure id the DRZ has a Neutral sender switch like the DR650, if it has then you need to check if the bolts have come loose behind the clutch basket
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
Not sure id the DRZ has a Neutral sender switch like the DR650, if it has then you need to check if the bolts have come loose behind the clutch basket

the neutral switch is a plastic part - held in place by two screws - with a small brass contact point connected to a wire. I removed it today, checked the O ring, put it back, and tightened the two screws again.

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »
Check under the seat, there is a blue wire that goes into a connector joint , some times you get a bad connection there and the light works some times and then just stops, also it only works if the bike is running , I had the same problem and just replaced the connectors and it sort it out.

I found that connector, it looks fine.

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00:14 pm »
The blue wire that goes up from the neutral switch looks fine. The oil deposits mostly around the gear shift and front sprocket area. Looks like the oil leak and the broken neutral light could be un-related - I can't tell -  in which case I now have two problems  :(

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
Oil leak at sprocket ,, check that the front sprocket bolt is still fastened , we left a 1 DRZ in baviaaans and in and one Laingsburg thinking major trouble oil by passing the seal on counter shaft who figgerd two of the same bike on the same trip with the same fault, when it was only a loose sprocket bolt, also check the seal under the clutch thing above the sprocket , my one started leaking oil out of there for no reason,

just make sure that the connector on the blue wire is making proper connection , unclip Q20 and clip back in, my one looked ok to and once I did this it all worked fine, I then removed the connector and hard wired the joint.

Also, make sure that the clip on the red lead from the battery is also making a proper connection, you will see your dash some time flashes, and this is the red lead making and breaking contact.

If all else fails come and see me in langebaan and we can work it out , You bring a nice bottle of wine :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:22:12 pm by Grumpleton »
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.