The Southern Namibian Raid - pissing on sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyT

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
"This fucking sand is killing me..."  I was sitting in the shade of a lone doringboom, drenched in sweat and tired to the bone.  In a way I envy Willem that is probably sitting somewhere in Luderitz having a milkshake.  Not any milkshake - a lime milkshake. ‘n Groene.
All this preparation and all the planning coming down to this… a hearty helping of sand – sulke lekker dik losses.
But wait – I’m jumping the gun again.  Let’s go back and start this adventure properly – at the beginning.

I have always had a fascination with Namibia.  The raw beauty of the country that calls every DS rider to come and explore her beauty.  But after my last big trip where I wrote off my BMW 650 GS in Lesotho, I was hesitant in throwing myself into such an adventure again. 
The turning point – the amazing ride reports here by the likes of Die Visarende, ChrisL and MaxThePanda.  I decided to do it – stuff the fear of cocking it up again.  I wanted to go on a photographic trip and had a couple of spots that I wanted to snap and experience:  Sendelingsdrif, Kolmanskop, Dooievlei, Spitzkoppe, Fish River Canyon, and lastly a shot kaalgat on my bike somewhere in Namaqualand, only with my helmet and boots on.
I started doing my homework, and SchalkL’s thread in Planning a Ride, helped me tremendously.  Thereafter ChrisL and Visarend took the time to plot routes (MUCH appreciated!) and I set the date to end of August, early September.  At that stage I was still alone until Chris (Salty) heard of it – immediately he was in.  My other mate and regular riding buddy, Abraham (ABie) got the go-ahead from Swambo, whereafter Kobus (KabousGS) attached himself to our group as well.  Literally a week before we started our trip, Willem (Dredd) decided not to miss out and join up.
This ride report will take time to write, as for me, it is as much part of our trip, as the trip itself.  So please be patient.  This ride report must be for me more of a second go at the trip – remembering the smells, the heat, the cold, the snores… and the taste of ice cold Tafel Lager!

Attachments

• _DSC1533fb.jpg
    _DSC1533fb.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,861