Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Interesting observation...not?  (Read 740 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Interesting observation...not?
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:43:28 am »
I noticed it over a period of time that riders from the same brand like to stick, ride, drink and chat together. Not the norm or fixed in stone but its easy to see. Its not a bad thing or brand thing but I find it interesting as it seems to me like mini brand apartheid.

Why is it like this? Can anybody explain? ;)
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
Re: Interesting observation...not?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:58:48 am »
There is an old saying : " Birds of the same feathers flock together"  ....or something like that.   It is a normal phenomenon in nature.

shark_za

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:59:53 am »
Don't cry cos only the BMW guys want to ride with you AMA !    ;)

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:29 am »
I think perhaps that's a bit of a generalisation. On a regular basis, I ride with owners of:
KTM's, BMW's, Hondas, and Kawasakis!
Makes for much more intersesting riding ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:11:41 am »
I think if a guy truely have a bike for a certain purpose, the guy's would have a similar riding style and then enjoy riding together.

KTM 950 fishtailers will start to stick together, you'd get couples that like touring and sight seeing together group with their big GS', long distance tourers (people that ride from here to Nelspruit to go explore) will probably use GS' also...

I think if a bunch of people truely understand the strong and weekpoints of a bike and considered those before buying, their 'biking personalities' would have chosen not only the type of bike they ride, but also the style of riding and then ultimately similar/likeminded people with similar bikes...

My .2

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:19:27 am »
I think perhaps that's a bit of a generalisation. On a regular basis, I ride with owners of:
KTM's, BMW's, Hondas, and Kawasakis!
Makes for much more intersesting riding ;D

This goes with my theory as well - your biking personallity (like mine as well) is more for enjoying the scenery, exploring roads and getting off the beaten track in a way (and at a pace) that enable you to take a photo or three and not see anything in a blur going past. That doesn't mean that we don't enjoy higher speed at times, it just means that our mindsets are much more the same and to be honest, all bikes can do scenic roads at a leisurely pace. You want to do scenic rides and use your bike for things like the 'Moordkuil Extreme', where I'm sure it excels. I want to do scenic rides and use the bike to have Rogue and our luggage on the back to go and see roads far away from where we live. It does that well...

Our needs are general enough to not have to buy a specific 'tool' that's designed for a segment of what we do. For the times where you go outside of the 'general needs riding', the bike you chose fits what you like to do with it.
I wouldn't have liked going on Moordkuil for instance with the GS and Trailrider wouldn't have enjoyed half of our Rhodes holiday last year.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:22:45 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:41 am »
I tend to disagree !!!  ;D
(Btw - I actually do enjoy your company  >:D  )

What is closer to the truth I think - is that similar cc's stick together
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:47 am »
Don't cry cos only the BMW guys want to ride with you AMA !    ;)

S'true and its usually only the guys on pink bikes that does not want to ride with me. Bet it got something to do with the designer dust my roadbike kicks up.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:27:54 am »

until you hit sand then the smaller cc's love hanging around the big bikes, make for a very entertaining show  :P
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:30 am »

That makes sense to me.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:32:39 am »

+1

Some of the biggest chops I have ever ridding with, rode the same boney as me. That was a factor when thinking of moving on from my GS.

As one chop put it so eloquently: "Daar is niks so lelik soos iemand wat nie staan op 'n GS nie..." - when they were struggling to keep up with us, standing like meerkats (the straight-arm, locked elbow stance) on really easy roads.

Ok, end of my rant.

I generally try and steer clear of the lifestylers - decked out in matching corporate clothing. But it seems true nowadays of the Dark side too. In marketing they speak of earley adopters - people who latch onto something new before it becomes a huge craze. I think the days of KTM's being ridden by early adopters (or hard core racers) are, alas, long gone by.

Such, however, is the nature of the brand curve. ::)
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:38:09 am »
I think if a guy truely have a bike for a certain purpose, the guy's would have a similar riding style and then enjoy riding together.

I am going to agree with you on this theory of yours, Eisbein.

I also think that people with the same kind of bikes, have a similar riding style. Ok, you will always have the odd one out, but in general I think that is the reason.

But that does not mean that we cannot kuier n hond uit n bos uit nie when we stick together ;D
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:50:14 am »
I make it a point not to ride with a group who all have the same brand of bike
in fact, I'd feel slightly embarrassed if I had to

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 10:01:12 am »
I make a point of not riding with people that wear their brands T-shirts/ sweat shirts/ fleece toppies and other paraphernalia hung on them to look like their brand, ATGATT excluded.  >:D ;D

Any bike is welcome as long as it's not more than 6 or so people. ;)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:59 am »
Which reminds me; I might be going to the GS challenge this year. Who else is going? :D

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:04:46 am »
Which reminds me; I might be going to the GS challenge this year. Who else is going? :D

Rather asks who is not going ;)

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:50 am »
I generally try and steer clear of the lifestylers - decked out in matching corporate clothing. But it seems true nowadays of the Dark side too. In marketing they speak of earley adopters - people who latch onto something new before it becomes a huge craze. I think the days of KTM's being ridden by early adopters (or hard core racers) are, alas, long gone by.

Such, however, is the nature of the brand curve. ::)

Alas, this is true. I remember swopping over from the Bimmer to the Dark Side. Goeie grys giftige gert was that a problem for some people. I remember 3 phonecalls in a week from a certain well known BMW rider saying - WTF are you doing. Those phonecalls were 1 hour long each - must have cost a packet.

Michnus - to his credit - said it before anyone else to me that the lifestylers were going to the Dark Side.

And its true. But so what. They can do with their bikes whatever they want, and thats their right. No one made anyone the bike nazi...

Personally, I love weekends like Camp Dogpatch at the Cedarberg. It was far more about the person than his bike and thats the way its supposed to be imo. And there was everything from yellow mosquitoes to obnoxiously loud orange bikes to oil leaking R80GS's.

This doesnt take away from the pleasure though of something like the KTM Weekend where its so cool to ride with enthusiasts of the same mindset, and know that the machines are matched, and lets see who can pilot what.

Each one was perfect in its own way.

O0

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 10:13:19 am »

Personally, I love weekends like Camp Dogpatch at the Cedarberg. It was far more about the person than his bike and thats the way its supposed to be imo.

Have to agree
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

masehare

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 10:41:18 am »
I make a point of not riding with people that wear their brands T-shirts/ sweat shirts/ fleece toppies and other paraphernalia hung on them to look like their brand, ATGATT excluded.  >:D ;D

Any bike is welcome as long as it's not more than 6 or so people. ;)

O fok, so ek gaan van al my Wilddog branded goete moet ontslae raak voor ek saam met jou kan ry...

;D ;D ;D

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:04 am »

LS I was wondering when this question would come up, I would love to go, but the insurance issue has decided it for me I am not prepared to self insure my bike for this event, especially knowing there is a very good chance you are going to take a tumble.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,