Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Interesting observation...not?  (Read 739 times)

shark_za

Re: Interesting observation...not?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 10:56:57 am »
Which reminds me; I might be going to the GS challenge this year. Who else is going? :D

LS I was wondering when this question would come up, I would love to go, but the insurance issue has decided it for me I am not prepared to self insure my bike for this event, especially knowing there is a very good chance you are going to take a tumble.
Interesting point Beemerman.

But this is typical of the lifestyle riders. I know a few riders (say silly for one) that ride stuff 10 times more hectic than the GS-challenge on their bikes every other week.
Is it not a case of going to the challenge and over estimating your abilities and choosing the wrong route?

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 11:03:06 am »
Which reminds me; I might be going to the GS challenge this year. Who else is going? :D

LS I was wondering when this question would come up, I would love to go, but the insurance issue has decided it for me I am not prepared to self insure my bike for this event, especially knowing there is a very good chance you are going to take a tumble.
Interesting point Beemerman.

But this is typical of the lifestyle riders. I know a few riders (say silly for one) that ride stuff 10 times more hectic than the GS-challenge on their bikes every other week.
Is it not a case of going to the challenge and over estimating your abilities and choosing the wrong route?
...and hype.

Been there, seen it.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:33:15 am »
Beemerman, like Lito said, it's about the camaraderie, kuier and spending time with people that's ridieng the same as you.
You, don't have to ride red route, ride what you like or feel comfortable with, its a joll.

Funny how they call the easy routes the Orange >:D ;D  Or is it blue?
It's not about being the biggest meanest fart around.

Sorry for the jack.

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:25 pm »

When I see some one riding the same brand as me I assume that we are birds of a feather. If he does like I do then he must be highly intelligent, have rugged good looks, be a hell of character with a hilarious sense of humour and of course be hung like a horse. ;D ;D

And I cover the bases nicely, I can flock together with tight buttocked BMW riders, poser KTM riders, cheapskate Kawa riders, the secret society Suzuki riders and the fuck everybody Honda is best Honda riders.

Now try and pigeonhole me you bastards!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 12:36:07 pm »
Will you make it with Journeyman and Kilroy's love for Harley metrozexual leather clothing?  >:D ;D

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »
Personnally I prefer riding alone, but do have three regular riding buddies. One rides a GS, one a KLR and the other a Yamaha. I think it makes sense to ride with the same bikes, othwise where are you going to get spares in the middle of no-where should you have an off and break something. Guess either I'm going to have to change my riding budies or the are going to have to by BM's. ;D ;D >:D
1200GS

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 02:53:48 pm »
Rode with 6 kawasaki's last week-end in newcastle and the seemed to accept me - think they were after my beer tho! ;D

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:40 pm »
The last few trips I've been on had a hell of a lot of Suzukis present... Seems like I'm letting my standards slip ;) ;D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:40 pm »
Will you make it with Journeyman and Kilroy's love for Harley metrozexual leather clothing?  >:D ;D

Don't forget the gloves.  :mrgreen:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:53 pm »
Rode with 6 kawasaki's last week-end in newcastle and the seemed to accept me - think they were after my beer tho! ;D

I wouldn't put it past them
they probably wanted to sit on the pavement and drink it

Offline Riebeek

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 03:26:48 pm »
Is it wrong to sit on the pavement and drink beer?  That is were 99% of all my beers were consumed.  The other 1% was in the store.  OK off to re-hab.
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
1980 Vespa P200E
2005 KTM 450 EXC (ex) 1984 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1983 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1986 Yamaha DT125 (ex) 1983 Honda MBX50 (ex)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »
I noticed it over a period of time that riders from the same brand like to stick, ride, drink and chat together. Not the norm or fixed in stone but its easy to see. Its not a bad thing or brand thing but I find it interesting as it seems to me like mini brand apartheid.

Why is it like this? Can anybody explain? ;)

So I rode with Ryperd and Funacide first time I got the bike back then. Beemers okes inviting a newbie to go ride.

Now years later, both of them ride Katoom's but both of them are still the same. I've seen them play with the Beemers and seen them play with the Katoom's. Not much difference in attitude, I can assure you.

Just different toys.

In that I admire them. Staying the same before, during and after the brand change move.

I still ride, chat and drink beers with them. Unfortunately not often enough but there's always hope. :mrgreen:

And so I can say of all the WD's I have had the pleasure to meet and ride with.

It's about the person. Not the bike. 

To answer your question. No. Have no idea what you are talking about.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:48:19 pm by JourneyMan »
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:15 pm »
I'll ride whenever I can afford to fill up, with whoever is keen to go to the same place(s) on whatever bike they turn up on. I'm a cheapskate slob of medium ability on an old bike which I love... and probably for sentimental reasons as much as the mechanicals!

After the 3rd wee stop, I know who I want to see again and who not..! It is ALL about the people and the place and the road. I'm really looking forward to the EC Bash - hope to meat lots of nice mense... maybe I'll even check out their boneys...

(Just leave my OBS alone.. it's in the army waterbottle, in case I'm looking for it and can't remember where I put it..!)
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 11:34:45 am »
[quote Metaljockey]

If he does like I do then he must be highly intelligent, have rugged good looks, be a hell of character with a hilarious sense of humour and of course be hung like a horse. ;D ;D
[/quote]

We should meet to ride together as I have all the attributes as described  by you ;D

Intelligence is highly removed, looks are ruggedly high, character out of hell, sense of humour like a horse and humorously hung >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:59:11 am by Sidepod »
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:08 am »

When I see some one riding the same brand as me I assume that we are birds of a feather. If he does like I do then he must be highly intelligent, have rugged good looks, be a hell of character with a hilarious sense of humour and of course be hung like a horse. ;D ;D

And I cover the bases nicely, I can flock together with tight buttocked BMW riders, poser KTM riders, cheapskate Kawa riders, the secret society Suzuki riders and the fuck everybody Honda is best Honda riders.

Now try and pigeonhole me you bastards!

secret society suzuki riders - lol - good one  :D :D