Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CLUTCH AND GEARBOX GREATLY IMPROVED (GS1200 LC 2013)  (Read 8136 times)

Offline AlanDoyle

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Certified Motorcycle Mechanic
CLUTCH AND GEARBOX GREATLY IMPROVED (GS1200 LC 2013)
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:01:03 pm »
I recently bought a good clean second hand LC with 11,600 km. Its an awesome bike and I am very happy with it............except for the clunky gearbox and the dragging clutch, this really irritates me as I am a certified Bike Mechanic.

I had a good look at the bikes specs and the inner design of the engine and gearbox, what oil should be used in it? 5W40 fully synthetic with BMW specs, this is the specified oil for the bike.

This oil in my opinion is too thin in viscosity and also thins out even more with higher temperature making the symtom's even worse. I went and looked for Liqui-Moly 10W60 oil. This is also fully sythetic and is an excellent oil with excellent specs. I drained the engine and replaced the oil filter with a new original part from BMW. It took 4.1 liters of oil.

The difference is, to say the least, night and day. The clutch does not clunk into gear nearly as badly as it did, the gear changes have become much smoother and the engine is quieter. What more could one ask for? Now I really like the bike even more!!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:17:39 pm by AlanDoyle »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: CLUTCH AND GEARBOX PROBLEMS REDUCED (GS1200 LC 2013)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »
Can you put any oil in if the bike is still under warranty?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:17:48 pm »
Interesting. Now you gave me a new idea. Thanks for the tip

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:29 pm »
 :sip: And my question is ....... how will it work on my Triumph 800 xc, the recommended oil is Castrol1 4T 10W50, Don't know, but do not think it's synthetic. But I do think it's a good oil.  
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline AlanDoyle

Re: CLUTCH AND GEARBOX GREATLY IMPROVED (GS1200 LC 2013)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
While the bike is under warranty, you should not mess with the oil. Mine just had a service and I drained the oil after the service so that they will not pick up on the different oil I put into it. Mine still has 3 month warranty on it. I would not do anything to the bike that would be bad for the engine. Its perfectly safe, but dont go any thicker than what I have specified. 10W60 Liqui-Moly Full Synthetic.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:13:25 pm by AlanDoyle »

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »
:sip: And my question is ....... how will it work on my Triumph 800 xc, the recommended oil is Castrol1 4T 10W50, Don't know, but do not think it's synthetic. But I do think it's a good oil.  

Your bike is already using 10W fully synthetic oil in it, so using another 10W oil is not going to make a change. The oil viscosity stays the same. The only difference is the the 60 part on my oil will help on very high temperatures. Here in South Africa we don't really get very cold, BMW use the very thin oil because these bikes are bought and used all over the world, some VERY cold regions too!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »
So the full synth Fuchs 10W60 will have the same results?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online TheBear

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:45:27 pm »

In theory,  any 10W60 will give the same result, but in practise,  I am not sure.

I am also not sure that a move from 50 to 60 will make much of a difference as the LC doesn't run particularly hot.   I am wondering if the change the OP experienced is not because he changed to LquiMoly.  Even on the previous models some swore by using LM in the gearbox.  So,  perhaps (no idea personally) ,  just wondering)  if a LM 10w50 would not have had the  same effect.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:49:51 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:09 pm »
 :sip: Tx  for the info.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 07:06:43 pm »

In theory,  any 10W60 will give the same result, but in practise,  I am not sure.

I am also not sure that a move from 50 to 60 will make much of a difference as the LC doesn't run particularly hot.   I am wondering if the change the OP experienced is not because he changed to LquiMoly.  Even on the previous models some swore by using LM in the gearbox.  So,  perhaps (no idea personally) ,  just wondering)  if a LM 10w50 would not have had the  same effect.

The Fuchs full synthetic oils are also very good. I personally have only tested the Liqui Moly oil, but I am sure the results will be the same. These oils are all tested and graded in the States under strict tolerances.

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:10:04 pm »
Interesting. Now you gave me a new idea. Thanks for the tip

You are welcome.

Online TheBear

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »

I am also not sure that a move from 50 to 60 will make much of a difference as the LC doesn't run particularly hot.   I am wondering if the change the OP experienced is not because he changed to LquiMoly.  Even on the previous models some swore by using LM in the gearbox.  So,  perhaps (no idea personally) ,  just wondering)  if a LM 10w50 would not have had the  same effect.

The Fuchs full synthetic oils are also very good. I personally have only tested the Liqui Moly oil, but I am sure the results will be the same. These oils are all tested and graded in the States under strict tolerances.

:thumleft:

My LC is a 2014.  After the software upgrade recently to help smooth gearshifts, the gearshifts are remarkably smoother.  I have checked my bike as well as my wife's (also 2014 LC) and neither have the dragging clutch.  It seems that was a 2013 issue.  As soon as ou rbikes are out of warranty, I plan to start using LiqueMoly as well.  It does come highly recommended and I recently rode an 08 with LM in the gearbox.  Could not believe the difference.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:44:19 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline metadata

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »
I have a 2013 LC - and the clutch started giving hassles in December 2014.  Now BM want me to pay for a new one (R10k).  They have taken about 6 months with this issue.  (I had to take it back to them after they gave the bike a 'clean' bill of health)

What should I do here.  I ride gently because I have the wife on the back.  I don't feel like this is my issue.  Also if I replace it, will it just happen again?

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 07:36:17 pm »
I have a 2013 LC - and the clutch started giving hassles in December 2014.  Now BM want me to pay for a new one (R10k).  They have taken about 6 months with this issue.  (I had to take it back to them after they gave the bike a 'clean' bill of health)

What should I do here.  I ride gently because I have the wife on the back.  I don't feel like this is my issue.  Also if I replace it, will it just happen again?

If you are sure that it's not your fault, then I would insist that they sort this out. BMW don't like negative publicity and are generally very good with issues like this. I think go back to them and without threatening anyone, ask them to please sort this out. If they still won't sort it then resort to harder line tactics like threaten with lawyers etc. I hope you come right with them.

These clutches are very tough, so I don't think it will do it again.

Online TheBear

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 10:21:25 am »

The problem with a clutch is that it is a wear item, like brake pads.  Best you can do is ask nicely.  If they refuse, you have a problem.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »
That being said, in my opinion it takes a moerofa lot of abuse to make a clutch last less than 20,000km, even less than 50,000km is suspicious to me. I steongly think that BMW should be a bit accomodating here, even if just sharing the cost.

via Tapatalk

Online TheBear

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
That being said, in my opinion it takes a moerofa lot of abuse to make a clutch last less than 20,000km, even less than 50,000km is suspicious to me. I steongly think that BMW should be a bit accomodating here, even if just sharing the cost.

via Tapatalk

I sort of agree OomD, but also looking at it from a manufacturer point of view.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »
How will BMW prove abuse? Because that is the only way that they would be able to escape liability. Wear and tear on a bike with approximately 20 K Kilos will never be acceptable to any customer, I HOPE !!!

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:55 pm »

The problem with a clutch is that it is a wear item, like brake pads.  Best you can do is ask nicely.  If they refuse, you have a problem.

These new GS bikes have a wet clutch, not like the older model which ran a dry clutch like a car. (Non lubricated) The wet clutch is lubricated by the engine oil and will last about 4 times that of a dry clutch. So I find it very strange that it is worn out after such a short mileage. Thats why I am hoping that BMW sort this out for you.

Offline AlanDoyle

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:08 pm »
This is what your wet clutch looks like. As you can see it has multiple friction plates plus the lubrication equals much less wear and tear on it. Number 4 is the clutch plate cluster.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:38:14 pm by AlanDoyle »