CLUTCH AND GEARBOX GREATLY IMPROVED (GS1200 LC 2013)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanDoyle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I recently bought a good clean second hand LC with 11,600 km. Its an awesome bike and I am very happy with it............except for the clunky gearbox and the dragging clutch, this really irritates me as I am a certified Bike Mechanic.

I had a good look at the bikes specs and the inner design of the engine and gearbox, what oil should be used in it? 5W40 fully synthetic with BMW specs, this is the specified oil for the bike.

This oil in my opinion is too thin in viscosity and also thins out even more with higher temperature making the symtom's even worse. I went and looked for Liqui-Moly 10W60 oil. This is also fully sythetic and is an excellent oil with excellent specs. I drained the engine and replaced the oil filter with a new original part from BMW. It took 4.1 liters of oil.

The difference is, to say the least, night and day. The clutch does not clunk into gear nearly as badly as it did, the gear changes have become much smoother and the engine is quieter. What more could one ask for? Now I really like the bike even more!!!

Attachments

• Liqui-Moly 10W60.jpg
    Liqui-Moly 10W60.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 591