1984 xt 250 T - does not return to idle speed??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neary85

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
hi guys,

anyone in know who I can talk to in jhb  that has experience with old Yammi's OR the YLDS carbs???? 

I have a 1985 xt 250 t
finally got to the point of getting the bike going,

3 things,
the bike has YLDS carbs (with accelerator pump)  , besides bike being a utter bastard to start when cold!

1.. can anyone recommend a reliable person to set the shims?

2. there is a bit of a flat spot when you open the throttle quickly...... ideas?

3. I am having difficulty with the bike returning to idle
ie you blip the throttle, the bike with "hover" around 3000rpm for a bit, then down to 2000rpm and finally goes to 1000rpm.  as if it is being fed fuel even once the throttle is shut.... is this normal? as it seems off.

when i first got it running the bike was very rough, since then i have stripped the carbs for a clean, replaced the rubber manifolds (new air filter)
there are no air leaks (i have checked)..... and is running far better, yet i still have this return to idle fault.

i did notice that the diaphragm in the pumper section was ok, it looks a little "loose" to me though..... is this maybe whats causing the bike to take so long to return to idle? as my understanding is that the pumper only comes into play as a second stage to add more fuel.

any feed back will be appreciated.