Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yet another Old Postal: 12/09/2015  (Read 3794 times)

Offline raphaeltube

Re: Yet another Old Postal: 12/09/2015
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 09:56:41 am »
Old Postal Route
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:21 am »
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 10:02:28 am »
Up the hill
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 10:03:57 am »
Some flowers en route
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 10:05:35 am »
Heading for Oasis via Wupertal
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 10:07:02 am »
Oasis to Elandsbaai
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:39 am »
West coast troubles
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 10:41:14 pm »
lekker pics dude!

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »
Great RR!

On my bucket list!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:44 am »
Looks like a lekker weekend.

And next time everybody will carry their own spares ...
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 10:09:50 am »
Awesome pictures, captures this amazing ride perfectly.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »
Thanks Warren

I saw at the end of this week's episode of 'Look What You're Missing' (which I made an effort to watch as I don't normally watch any TV at all, and thoroughly enjoyed watching), that next weeks episode will cover the Old Postal Route.
 -I'm so excited to see a biking program filmed on a route that I've done!

-R
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline Marvin

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »
I wish I could see it. Unfortunately, no DSTV.  ???
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R (Current)
2012 Honda XR650L (Current)
2006 KDX 200 (Sold)
2003 NXR 125 ES (Dead)

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:43 pm »

Marvin, the episode will be uploaded on Friday for online viewing.

@raphaeltube, if there is one thing I could have filmed again, it will be the piece on the OPR. Its just so friggin awesome that I think the only way to experience it, is on a bike. No photos or film will ever really do it justice, and I am not sure that we have in this case.

We spent a whole amazing day with Oom Albie, who actually took us to see some stuff you probably would not find if you didn't know exactly where it was, and its not really on the Post Route itself so permissions are needed. Some of the time we rode, some he insisted we get in his Landrover, and after initially being a little sad I wasn't on the bike, when he started telling us things, that sadness soon evaporated. What an incredible man.

We in fact later got permission to go back to some of the places he took us, and knowing he wouldn't be around, it took me a bloody long time to find the stuff on Google Earth and turn it into routes because there are just so many tracks up there that were once used for thatch cutting and gathering.

So we didn't concentrate on the actual route only because we were shown so many wonders of nature. And then, on top of that, we had to shorten the program in the end, 3 eight minute segments is what you have, not a second more, or a second less for that matter  ;D.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Online Crossed-up

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »
Stunning photos! I can't wait for the vid.

Oom Albie is the most hospitable man. Apart from it being good manners to stop and say hello, he is such an interesting man to meet.

I love the ride. It starts out in the Tankwa semi-desert and goes up to beautiful protea fynbos. A complete tour of the regional ecology in just a short ride.

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:51 am »

Come watch at our place if you want.
 -the Sunday 21:00 slot works for me, but you're welcome to come watch any time.

-R
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:25:33 am by raphaeltube »
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 09:33:30 am »

We spent a whole amazing day with Oom Albie, who actually took us to see some stuff you probably would not find if you didn't know exactly where it was, and its not really on the Post Route itself so permissions are needed. Some of the time we rode, some he insisted we get in his Landrover, and after initially being a little sad I wasn't on the bike, when he started telling us things, that sadness soon evaporated. What an incredible man.

We in fact later got permission to go back to some of the places he took us, and knowing he wouldn't be around, it took me a bloody long time to find the stuff on Google Earth and turn it into routes because there are just so many tracks up there that were once used for thatch cutting and gathering.

So we didn't concentrate on the actual route only because we were shown so many wonders of nature. And then, on top of that, we had to shorten the program in the end, 3 eight minute segments is what you have, not a second more, or a second less for that matter  ;D.

Could you share some details/locations and/or contact details for Oom Albie and/or other relevant landowners?

I'ts an area I'll definitely be visiting again sooner or later, and next time maybe we could check some of these gems out.
 -this time we just followed the route.
I can't speak for the others, but I didn't have much of an idea of where we were or what we were looking at. Just that it was amazing to be there.

-R
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline Marvin

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 01:06:42 pm »

Could you share some details/locations and/or contact details for Oom Albie and/or other relevant landowners?

I'ts an area I'll definitely be visiting again sooner or later, and next time maybe we could check some of these gems out.
 -this time we just followed the route.
I can't speak for the others, but I didn't have much of an idea of where we were or what we were looking at. Just that it was amazing to be there.

-R
Raph, oom Albie was there where we passed over the werf. My plan was to stop and say properse hi to the oom, but he was having a braai with his family when we passed through there.
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R (Current)
2012 Honda XR650L (Current)
2006 KDX 200 (Sold)
2003 NXR 125 ES (Dead)

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »
Baie nice foudies :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 04:07:12 pm »

Raph, oom Albie was there where we passed over the werf. My plan was to stop and say properse hi to the oom, but he was having a braai with his family when we passed through there.

OK, lekka
Have you got his contact details?
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie