Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike trip southern and eastern Africa  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Daffers

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Bike trip southern and eastern Africa
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:00:33 pm »
Hi everyone

Been a while since my last post.  Me and husband are coming out to SA to start our tour up to Kenya and back.  Been delayed a bit as John has broken his collarbone by crashing his bicycle!
We hope to fly to Joburg, buy bikes (Honda 250 CRF) in Pretoria, then ride down to Cape Town continuing up to Kenya and then loop back south.  Easy!

A few (?) questions.
1. We think we have a contact in Pretoria to buy bikes, unless anyone suggests another option.  Would Cape Town be better?
2. We know it will take time to obtain a TRN in our names, but can we buy the bikes and ride them while the paperwork is going through? Do we need a permanent address in SA for this or will a hotel do?
3. We will have to but 3rd party ins.  We have heard about COMESA.  Any thoughts or advice?

Hope to be out there by middle of November.  If anyone has more advice would be great to hear from you.

Offline Daffers

Re: Bike trip southern and eastern Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:51:46 am »
Flights booked.  43 days until we fly from Scotland to Joburg!

Another question ...

If we are riding SA registered bikes, do we need carnets for Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Moz, Malawi, Zambia, Kenya, Uganda?

South African AA webiste say only needed for Kenya.  Is this still correct?  Can we buy at the border?

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:39:42 am »
Hi. Should the he bikes not be registered in your names you will have endless trouble.  You need a Carne for all those countries although you can obtain Temporary Import Permits at each border. Carnes are much easier, I have been using it for a few years and renew it each year. The Carne cost is not based on the countries you visit although I believe the deposit might vary when visiting some countries, did not experience it personnally.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Daffers

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:38:07 pm »
Thanks FrancoisTz.  Bikes will be registered in our names, although led to believe this is a long process.  Need an address in SA.

Info on carnets is very confusing as some say nor needed for most countries.  We cannot proceed with them until we are in Joburg and have the bikes, but trying to get all relevant info together.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:38:50 pm by Daffers »

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:56:27 pm »
Hi. Write to this lady at the AA: Bokang Seroka bseroka@aasa.co.za  She will assist and provide you with the correct information. The acual registration process is easy and the dealer you buy the bikes from should assist, the address is something else. Maybe one of the other Dawgs has better information on this, I am not residing in SA thus not sure what is happening there.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Daffers

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »
Certainly will chase this up.  Thanks.  If you are in Mozambique any relevant info gratefully received.  Been reading other blogs on WD.  'Fuzzy Muzzy' ride was great.  Also reading Lonely Planet.

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
Hey Daffers, greetings from Inverness in sunny Scotland (well,it is at the moment) 

We did Capetown- Capetown up as far as Lake Tanganyika via Namibia and Zambia, Malawi and Zim.  We had our own UK registered bike so had a carnet- you could get by on an SA registered bike without one buying a TIP each time you cross into a new country, but it is one more hassle at the borders when you will be queuing in the heat sweating cobs.

I thought I had sorted out COMESA insurance with a mob in Lusaka, but they couldn't quite get the certificate to us in time ::)  Because of this I bought it at borders- easy peasy.

BTW, If you are crossing from Zambia to Tanzania at Tunduma then local fixer 'MP' is a good bloke.  He was the onlyone we used- most borders are starightforward, but Tunduma is pretty mad.  Oh, and if you can choose between Kazangula and Katima Mulilo to cross into Zam, got to Katima, it's very civilised.

Anyway, if you want an English/Scottish/Kiwi/old farts perspective on travelling in Southern Africa, my ride report is here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=176316.0 and was the best thing I've ever done, the people are great, the landscapes are amazing and the riding is epic. :biggrin:

Offline Daffers

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 11:57:28 am »
And greetings back to you from a very sunny Aberdeen!!!  What a small world.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.  Will check out your trip on WD.  Looking forward to getting away from a Scottish winter. 

Daffers

Offline Daffers

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:14:43 am »
Hi anyone out there. We have now been  in SA for almost a week.  Attended the Horizons Unlimited meet  at Elgro Lodge. Currently in Pretoria waiting for the bike paperwork to be completed.  Hope to drive (hire car unfortunately ) to Blyde River Canyon for the weekend. Would be great to meet any of  you on the road.

Offline bud500

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:01 am »
Hi anyone out there. We have now been  in SA for almost a week.  Attended the Horizons Unlimited meet  at Elgro Lodge. Currently in Pretoria waiting for the bike paperwork to be completed.  Hope to drive (hire car unfortunately ) to Blyde River Canyon for the weekend. Would be great to meet any of  you on the road.

Hi welcome in SA and specifically in Pretoria, my home town.
Looks like you brought some rain...at last...
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline King Louis

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
Hi Daffers,

was great meeting you at HU -you guys have a good time and if you need anything, shout via the WD forum, there is always somebody who can help.

Thanks for the insect spray, last night my tent was free of goegoes.......

So we can bank on a ride report and pics later, hey? :ricky:

Offline Daffers

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 01:47:46 pm »
It was good to meet you. 

Now in Graskop enjoying the stunning  scenery  and dirt roads. Trying to work out how to upload photos.