Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 R Engine lifetime  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Omninorm

Re: KTM 690 R Engine lifetime
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »
Don't get blinded by the rally kit and forget to realistically assess thr bikes value. A stock 690 with 40k on the clock is not a huge seller. Take what you'd pay for the stock bike and add 10-15 or so for the kit, not replacement cost, which is what some sellers tend to charge. Rally kit is great for long distance but keep in mind that it adds another thing that can give issues. I've said from the start that I'd do a full rebuild on my bike on 50 000kms. Whether it's needed remains to be seen. I changed filter since new and service my bike every 5000kms to be safe. No issues to speak of so far other than with some of the aftermarket bits

Dwerg do you want to do a rebuild as you race it,or would you recommend that for any 690?  i mean in general bike terms 40 000km, as from the original OP, is not a lot on any other bike except pure Enduro (Plastic bikes).  Transalps, Vstroms  F800's, F650's etc with 100 000km - 400 000km's on without needing rebuilds and stuff. Looking at this thread there are plenty of bikes over 100 000km trouble free km's  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=82470.0

Basically the question is why on your 690 will you want to do a rebuild every 50 000km. What is your concern on that mileage?

R640 for the intake rockers does not seem like a lot. Although if you don't do it yourself the price will probably be a LOT more expensive since the engine will need to be removed and split correct?

To replace the intake rockers, you pull the airbox, remove 4 bolts to take of the tappet cover.  Set TDC (very easy on this bike).  Remove the 2 bolts that hold the rocker shaft in place.  Use 1 bolt to pull out the shaft through the convenient hole. Lift out the intake rocker and replace.  Reverse.  Nothing to split.  If you ever set valve clearances, you remove the rocker arms a couple of times to change the shims.  You also inspect the bearing that runs on the cam and you can feel the roughness if it needs replacement.

Rocker arm is now $75, so the price is up a bit.  Still nothing major.  Maybe KTM is making some bucks on this...

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like much less hassle than on some other bikes.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.