CR500 Aluminum Frame Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDA1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Greetings to all

I have been on this forum as a non member for a while, as well as a few other local forums. I have a passion for CR500 motors and a love for converting them into aluminium frames. I am currently busy with my 2nd C500AF build due to receiving a offer for the first, and accepting it.

I will take you with on this journey while viewing this special build . To start off a 2007 CRF250R (twin pipe) aluminum frame is used. The standard Y piece is machined out on both sides making it possible for a piece of aluminum square bar (6061 T6) to be press fitted in on either side of the frame. The motor is aligned by fitting CR125 Swingarm bushes, this ensures that the front sprockets aligns up perfectly with the rear. The standard aluminium Y piece moves up on the down tube making space for the expansion chamber. Once the motor is fitted in, the welding begins. The head hanger brackets as well as the bottom engine brackets are made of 12mm 6061 T6 aluminum. Its vital to have a decent Tig welder to weld up all the lose parts.

I will share as I go along, this specific build is very special , i have even invested in a glass bead blaster to get that factory finish on aluminium parts, I will included some before and after images of the different textures achievable through glass bead blasting. For now lets start with the basics and that is a CR500 motor and a CRF250R frame.

Y Piece machined out

6061 T6 Square bar machined to be press fitted in the one end of frame, overlapping for extra strength

Brackets

Frame at the rear slightly modified with a dremel grinder:

Head hanger bracket

All fitted in

Pipe fitted in order to make brackets

Fitting the radiators

Glass bead blasting
Hubs before

Hubs after

Triple clamps before

After

Carb