1200GS warped brake discs - easy fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazy-eyes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I thought i'd share this with you guys.

When I bought my 2004 1200GS three years ago, it had a pretty acute brake disc judder which was very noticeable under hard braking or when riding two-up. Since I didn't have much cash left after the purchase, I lived with this problem for time being.

It was pretty annoying so I went to BMW and after a short test ride they confirmed that the front discs were warped, and needed replacement at something ridiculous like R4000 per disc!
After lots of research I realised that that OEM replacement parts were pretty much my only option so I continued to live with the problem.

Then, a year and a half ago during routine maintenance I replaced the front brake pads. Initially I didn't notice anything different, but after about two weeks I realised the brake judder was noticeably better, and another week or two later it was totally gone!
I still haven't felt it since.

Best part is I didn't even use OEM pads, so it came to something like R300 - Much better than replacing the "warped" discs!

My only guess is that the discs were glazed unevenly, or had some sort of uneven build-up that caused the old pads to judder, similar to a warped disc. The new pads must have removed that uneven build-up, or put down a new layer over it. Either way, I dont care about the physics behind it as my initial problem has been solved  :ricky:

To anyone who suspects they have warped discs, I suggest replacing the pads first.

Latest posts