Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Up and Riding! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure  (Read 14522 times)

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
Re: Its almost ready! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »
If you need a S-10 to make the fitting.. I have time, I have a S-10 and I will camp on you lawn for a few days so that you can make this thing up for us okes with the Yamaha's

I can also bring BEER !! :imaposer:
Every time I see a Super Tenere I take a look... in many ways its a lot easier because of the frame you have on it. I'm moving onto the farm middle of this month, let me just settle in and then come for a visit, a few modifications here and there to my chassis and I'm sure it can be done. Cheers.

I am taking you up on this and I am sure Visared Louis will be AS pleased as I am when we can get this on our bikes. :thumleft:

:peepwall:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10

Offline Man from Nam

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2015, 01:37:03 pm »
Count me in for a S10 sidecar :thumleft:
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2015, 01:41:10 pm »
Nou ja NOU gaan ons almal sidecarre ry...want ons is mos oumense...  :peepwall:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Man from Nam

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »
Dis nie ons wat oud is nie dis die vrouens :pot:
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
Ja hulle is bang as ons omval GEBEUR daar dinge in die bos... :peepwall: :imaposer:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Man from Nam

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2015, 02:20:01 pm »
Ek koes solank :peepwall:
Na ek gesien het hoe lekker die Visarende laas hier getoer het met hulle karretjie het ek nie 'n keuse nie, selfs 'n yskas in die karrejie
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 02:25:32 pm »
I would like the same info as Jupiter , I have a new 2015 GS 1200 Adventure that I want to keep as is , but based on your price for a complete rig I may sell one or two of my other bikes to get the right bike for your sidecar.

I have owned a Ural and the sidecar is fantastic but highway speed is a problem , I want to cruise at 120km/h but have a bike and sidecar that is safe and stable enough to overtake at say a max of 150 Km/h.

I like long distance touring but my job does not allow me to be away to long. With this in mind one of my favourite destinations is Namibia . I need a rig that I can do JHB to Uppington in one day on tar to allow me more time to travel and explore on dirt at a sedate speed.

I am watching this thread with interest and have buyers for two of my bikes.

These sidecars is comfi between 120 - 130.  Everything over that is an effort.  You will not be able to do long distances at a speed more than 130km/h, unless you super human.  Short burst at between 140-150km\h is possible but then you have to hold on for dear life.  I have reached 163km\h true speed (GPS) once, but you can hear and feel the bike battling.   My prefered speed is 125km\h.  The bike just feels happy at this speed.
But as 2bfree mentioned, they ride like a dream on gravel roads.  I have been to Nam with mine and we encountered some horrible sandy roads.  It was no problem for the rig, you just keep your cruising speed by slightly adjusting the throttle input.
I have found that I can travel further distances on gravel in a day with the rig (loaded) than with the bike, pillion and luggage.  But once again, I found that traveling on gravel between 80-100km\h was the best.  At this speed you can cruise all day long and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.  Yes, and you can also drink a cuppa (or something cold) at this speed.  You must just have a trained monkey.   I am a smoker, and at times I smoke on the go.    

Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 02:27:35 pm »
Ek koes solank :peepwall:
Na ek gesien het hoe lekker die Visarende laas hier getoer het met hulle karretjie het ek nie 'n keuse nie, selfs 'n yskas in die karrejie

Yes ou mater, hoop dit gaan goed.   :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Yip, daai yskas was 'n lifesaver.  Altyd koue drinkgoed gehad en genoeg ys vir die dop.     :biggrin:

Offline 2bfree

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Share your Passion...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 02:36:36 pm »
I would like the same info as Jupiter , I have a new 2015 GS 1200 Adventure that I want to keep as is , but based on your price for a complete rig I may sell one or two of my other bikes to get the right bike for your sidecar.

I have owned a Ural and the sidecar is fantastic but highway speed is a problem , I want to cruise at 120km/h but have a bike and sidecar that is safe and stable enough to overtake at say a max of 150 Km/h.

I like long distance touring but my job does not allow me to be away to long. With this in mind one of my favourite destinations is Namibia . I need a rig that I can do JHB to Uppington in one day on tar to allow me more time to travel and explore on dirt at a sedate speed.

I am watching this thread with interest and have buyers for two of my bikes.

These sidecars is comfi between 120 - 130.  Everything over that is an effort.  You will not be able to do long distances at a speed more than 130km/h, unless you super human.  Short burst at between 140-150km\h is possible but then you have to hold on for dear life.  I have reached 163km\h true speed (GPS) once, but you can hear and feel the bike battling.   My prefered speed is 125km\h.  The bike just feels happy at this speed.
But as 2bfree mentioned, they ride like a dream on gravel roads.  I have been to Nam with mine and we encountered some horrible sandy roads.  It was no problem for the rig, you just keep your cruising speed by slightly adjusting the throttle input.
I have found that I can travel further distances on gravel in a day with the rig (loaded) than with the bike, pillion and luggage.  But once again, I found that traveling on gravel between 80-100km\h was the best.  At this speed you can cruise all day long and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.  Yes, and you can also drink a cuppa (or something cold) at this speed.  You must just have a trained monkey.   I am a smoker, and at times I smoke on the go.    

Ha! I know that one Louis... on the long flat sections like on the backroads through Veneektepan I always did the same, helmet off, put her in 4th gear for powering through the sandy sections, feet up and have a smoke or chew on some biltong at 70 km/h... try doing this on the dirt solo. This is when these rigs come into their own and you just can't stop smiling!  :ricky:

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 03:33:42 pm »
This is when these rigs come into their own and you just can't stop smiling!  :ricky:

:thumleft:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Offline frans1

• Lewe elke dag voluit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2015, 05:43:43 pm »
Its really nice and I know its hard work, but preferred the shape and ergonomics of your previous one.

Why did you change to Glass fibre ? Ease of construction, cost, weight, weight to strength, aesthetics ?
I am busy drawing up all the sizes and measurements on a cad program for people to make the various components for these rigs themselves... proper DIY. They will also be able to source the components directly if they don't want to do it themselves. These bodies will be available as well as the drawings on CAD for my old body I used to make... people can make up their own minds about what they prefer.

:thumleft: When you've done all the R&D and ready to market this one, please give me a price fitted to my bike.

2bfree please the same for me.  Just not before the end of 2015 for me :)  2016 will be better for the moelas
BMW 1200GSA (What a Machine!!!)
BMW R100RS (Busy with the repairs)
BMW 1200GS (Love the bike)
WR 450 Yamaha (Sold)
Yamaha 500 XT (Sold) Yamaha 175 DT (Sold) Honda 90 cc (Gave it away)

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
    • View Profile
Re: Counting down the days! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »
Just back from the engineers and they've done a fantastic job on my new raised chassis... a whole 100mm higher ground clearance than on my previous models, we now have 300 mm ground clearance under the tub, a true dual sport rig! Hoping to put the whole thing together for the first bit of gravel riding this weekend, bullbar, lockable luggage rack / fold out table, polycarb windscreen etc on the new body all complete and ready to GO!  :ricky:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:18:05 am by 2bfree »

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »
Ek voel die excitment opbou. Laat kom daai pics. Dit is 'n lekker thread om te volg :thumleft:

I tried the rest and still stick with the best.  -   ROOIVLEIS
2006 Hp2 - 2006 Hp2 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       

2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

Offline jangys

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2015, 05:06:23 pm »
... :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2015, 05:06:45 pm »
 :thumleft:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »
I am glad it is getting there... I have spare leave that I need to take..... :imaposer: :peepwall:

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2015, 11:48:29 am »
I said I wouldn't do any branding on my new rig but I had to call it something... so I've decided to call them Smiling Wind sidecars... here is the sticker I've designed and had made up. My new frame is looking amazing, and it now has a new design, very strong swingarm suspension fitted.

I need to sell a few things first to pay for it and pick it up next week,  :imaposer: it's a VERY expensive business this developing and building a new (quality) sidecar.

But so worth it for the enjoyment of riding the thing!!  :ricky:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:32:01 am by 2bfree »

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »
Great stuff,. It looks cool :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lyk my dinge gebeur oor naweke, so nou wag ons maar vir volgende naweek vir die foto update :biggrin:

I tried the rest and still stick with the best.  -   ROOIVLEIS
2006 Hp2 - 2006 Hp2 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       

2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

... :sip:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Jag man

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »
 :peepwall: