Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Up and Riding! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure  (Read 15880 times)

Offline 2bfree

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Share your Passion...
Re: Up and Riding! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2015, 10:17:41 am »
Thanks, Now I am happy.... happier.  :imaposer:
Where does the A- Frame top bolt onto the bike?
Does it also go through the bike or is there a mounting point on the GS frame strong enough to handle the stress ?

Sorry for all the questions.  Where did you buy those turnbuckles ? What are they called ?  Are they S/ Steel ?

Thank's
In all honesty these are R 200 000 questions Woody... R 80 000 (so far) is what it just cost me to design, test and manufacture these components for this particular rig... add another R 120 000 'down the tube' for R&D and a year of testing for the previous rigs I made for guys like Louis.

The BMW telelever 'axle' I remove and replace with my own, the turnbuckles you can get from any decent bearing shop.

Haaibo, that Karretjie was not made for Louis.   :o I merely allow him to ride it.  :pot:   
Ha Ha!  :laughing4:  Lekker man Nannie... I don't differentiate between you two... Louis / Nannie and "Karretjie' you're one unique 'team' to me.  :imaposer:

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:10 am »
Does it also go through the bike or is there a mounting point on the GS frame strong enough to handle the stress ?

Sorry for all the questions.  Where did you buy those turnbuckles ? What are they called ?  Are they S/ Steel ?

Thank's
In all honesty these are R 200 000 questions Woody... R 80 000 (so far) is what it just cost me to design, test and manufacture these components for this particular rig... add another R 120 000 'down the tube' for R&D and a year of testing for the previous rigs I made for guys like Louis.

The BMW telelever 'axle' I remove and replace with my own, the turnbuckles you can get from any decent bearing shop.

Haaibo, that Karretjie was not made for Louis.   :o I merely allow him to ride it.  :pot:   
Ha Ha!  :laughing4:  Lekker man Nannie... I don't differentiate between you two... Louis / Nannie and "Karretjie' you're one unique 'team' to me.  :imaposer:

Thank's

Je, you know how to smear jam around my mouth, but I must admit, I caught myself a very nice oukie 30 something years ago.   It is not too difficult to like him.   :biggrin:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2015, 01:29:26 pm »
Done and dusted!  :thumleft:

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2015, 01:43:29 pm »

... :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »
Very nice, some decent clearance you have there.   :thumleft:  :thumleft:  With the right tyre pressure that thing will float over the sand.   ;)
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2015, 04:52:45 pm »
Very nice, some decent clearance you have there.   :thumleft:  :thumleft:  With the right tyre pressure that thing will float over the sand.   ;)
I'm not sure what it is Louis but the whole thing just feels so much 'lighter' and more 'nimble' now. Like you're riding on top of everything now not 'in' it.  :thumleft: