Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Up and Riding! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure  (Read 17329 times)

Offline 2bfree

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Share your Passion...
Re: Its almost ready! Building a new rig for my BMW 1200 GS Adventure
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2015, 09:30:33 am »
Its really nice and I know its hard work, but preferred the shape and ergonomics of your previous one.

Why did you change to Glass fibre ? Ease of construction, cost, weight, weight to strength, aesthetics ?
These bodies will be available as well as the drawings on CAD for my old body I used to make... people can make up their own minds about what they prefer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:11:05 am by 2bfree »

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2015, 09:44:23 am »
Its really nice and I know its hard work, but preferred the shape and ergonomics of your previous one.

Why did you change to Glass fibre ? Ease of construction, cost, weight, weight to strength, aesthetics ?
I am busy drawing up all the sizes and measurements on a cad program for people to make the various components for these rigs themselves... proper DIY. They will also be able to source the components directly if they don't want to do it themselves. These bodies will be available as well as the drawings on CAD for my old body I used to make... people can make up their own minds about what they prefer.

:thumleft: When you've done all the R&D and ready to market this one, please give me a price fitted to my bike.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Knucklhead

• aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2015, 09:59:58 am »
May I ask a very dof question.. can a sidecar be on any side? is there a regulation?

nice work by the way  :thumleft:

Offline blainec

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2015, 10:06:03 am »
 I would like the same info as Jupiter , I have a new 2015 GS 1200 Adventure that I want to keep as is , but based on your price for a complete rig I may sell one or two of my other bikes to get the right bike for your sidecar.

I have owned a Ural and the sidecar is fantastic but highway speed is a problem , I want to cruise at 120km/h but have a bike and sidecar that is safe and stable enough to overtake at say a max of 150 Km/h.

I like long distance touring but my job does not allow me to be away to long. With this in mind one of my favourite destinations is Namibia . I need a rig that I can do JHB to Uppington in one day on tar to allow me more time to travel and explore on dirt at a sedate speed.

I am watching this thread with interest and have buyers for two of my bikes.
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:35 am »

I am busy drawing up all the sizes and measurements on a cad program for people to make the various components for these rigs themselves... proper DIY. They will also be able to source the components directly if they don't want to do it themselves. These bodies will be available as well as the drawings on CAD for my old body I used to make... people can make up their own minds about what they prefer.

:thumleft: When you've done all the R&D and ready to market this one, please give me a price fitted to my bike.
Nothing will be as it was before Jupiter, I will not be marketing sidecars, forming a company or anything like that... My idea is that people can buy these as proper DIY kits and put them together themselves in their garage both locally and abroad. I now live on a farm in the 7 Passes and occasionally, as a personal favour, I will put one together for someone in my workshop. When I'm finished this rig (which has been sold already to a guy in Armenia coming to South Africa) I will give you a call and we can get together for a beer and a chat on my farm.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:13:48 am by 2bfree »

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:42 am »
May I ask a very dof question.. can a sidecar be on any side? is there a regulation?

Yes its a dof question. The side car MUST be on the left for when your wife passes you the coffee.

Your right hand  is holding the throttle  :lol8:

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2015, 10:10:52 am »

Nothing will be as it was before Jupiter, I will not be marketing sidecars, forming a company or anything like that... I sell the plans and I provide certain components to make it easier for people to put these together themselves both locally and abroad. I now live on a farm in the 7 Passes and occasionally, as a personal favour, I will put one together for someone in my workshop. When I'm finished this rig (which has been sold already to a guy in Armenia coming to South Africa) I will give you a call and we can get together for a beer and a chat on my farm.  :thumleft:

:thumleft:

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:34 am »

Here in South Africa, as well as the UK, Australia, Japan etc they are mounted on the left hand side, this is the regulation. Be a bit scary for your passenger too if they had oncoming traffic coming at them all the time.  :thumleft:

Offline LukasB9

• Bike: Honda XR125L
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2015, 10:12:57 am »
Loads of work, well done!
Honda CGL125

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:11 am »
Now how about the fittings on a Super Tenere.... PLEASE !!!! :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Knucklhead

• aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2015, 10:25:27 am »

Yes its a dof question. The side car MUST be on the left for when your wife passes you the coffee.

Your right hand  is holding the throttle  :lol8:

ou grapgat  :biggrin:

PM me jou roete vir slumdogs asb..

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2015, 10:34:15 am »
If you need a S-10 to make the fitting.. I have time, I have a S-10 and I will camp on you lawn for a few days so that you can make this thing up for us okes with the Yamaha's

I can also bring BEER !! :imaposer:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2015, 10:35:54 am »
If you need a S-10 to make the fitting.. I have time, I have a S-10 and I will camp on you lawn for a few days so that you can make this thing up for us okes with the Yamaha's

Hey, klim in die ry in  :deal:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:20 am »
Ek soek net die FRAME man... sommer tjop tjop vir die expert man doer in die bos.

Ek het 'n idee van wat ek wil doen met my karretjie...sal jou later vertel.

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2015, 10:51:10 am »
.....een van daai 200l olie dromme :peepwall: :pot:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
Yip.. Chromed  :imaposer:

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2015, 11:37:09 am »
OK Oom Chris, kry een van die, ek wil joune hê  :lol8:

...nie so maklik nie Jup...myne het ge-jel met my...ek's 'n happy chappy... ;)
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:02 am »

Every time I see a Super Tenere I take a look... in many ways its a lot easier because of the frame you have on it. I'm moving onto the farm middle of this month, let me just settle in and then come for a visit, a few modifications here and there to my chassis and I'm sure it can be done. Cheers.

Offline 2bfree

• Share your Passion...
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2015, 11:47:18 am »
I would like the same info as Jupiter , I have a new 2015 GS 1200 Adventure that I want to keep as is , but based on your price for a complete rig I may sell one or two of my other bikes to get the right bike for your sidecar.

I have owned a Ural and the sidecar is fantastic but highway speed is a problem , I want to cruise at 120km/h but have a bike and sidecar that is safe and stable enough to overtake at say a max of 150 Km/h.

I like long distance touring but my job does not allow me to be away to long. With this in mind one of my favourite destinations is Namibia . I need a rig that I can do JHB to Uppington in one day on tar to allow me more time to travel and explore on dirt at a sedate speed.

I am watching this thread with interest and have buyers for two of my bikes.
Hence the reason I'm going for a much lighter and streamlined body type this time, I've ridden twice from Sedgefield to Upington with my previous sidecar to lead safaris in the Kalahari, both times in a day - 950km... 200km of it dirt. Never really felt the need to go over 120km / h and the dirt / gravel is a breeze with a sidecar attached. Will let you know when I've tested my new rig properly.  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2015, 12:37:55 pm »

Every time I see a Super Tenere I take a look... in many ways its a lot easier because of the frame you have on it. I'm moving onto the farm middle of this month, let me just settle in and then come for a visit, a few modifications here and there to my chassis and I'm sure it can be done. Cheers.

I am taking you up on this and I am sure Visared Louis will be AS pleased as I am when we can get this on our bikes. :thumleft: