Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bloodhound SSC  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Whethefakawe

Bloodhound SSC
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:16:10 am »
Closely related to bikes...and I'm sure many of youse will see this in action at Verneukpan soon....my mate got tickets to go see the Supersonic Car in London last weekend, very impressive mix of F1 and fighter jet.

Leaving Kew.

The SSC has over 600 air pressure sensors in it, check the little dots and wires in the tail fin

The Rolls-Royce jet engine, same as in the Eurofighter Typhoon, gets it up tp 800 mph/1300kmh...then a rocket engine punches it through 1000 mph/1600 kmh in 17 seconds.....and it has a Jaguar V-8 engine for a rocket fuel pump  :eek7:
[/UR

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:04:06 pm by Whethefakawe »
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Whethefakawe

Re: Bloodhound SSC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:31:47 am »
Richard Noble, the engineer/inventor and driving force behind the THRUST SSC that went supersonic on land in 1997. We were limited to one hour inside the showroom, the event was limited to 10000 people who were let in in groups for an hour at a time. Worked well in Britain, with their queuing culture  :biggrin:

Thrust SSC (not my pic)

Andy Green, the driver of both Thrust SSC and Bloodhound SSC, a RAF F-4 Phantom and Tornado pilot holding the rank of Wing Commander (Lt Col) and the baastid is 5 months younger than me  :angry8: ....my life expectancy at this stage is a bit higher than his though....word around the tea urn is, he has a 50-50 chance of surviving the 1000 mph world speed record attempt....I didn't talk to him, the ipad know-it-all in the photo was telling him how to drive the SSC, and detailed instructions like that take a while

The cockpit on the record attempt will be closed, this was so people could look inside. I didn't get to it, but I suspect it's a bit more advanced than a Camel or even a Spitfire.....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:35:22 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline MillionMiles

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:54 am »
Interesting Drive arrangement: One side rubber, other side Metal! Any reasons for that?
Today is National Biking Day!

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:12 am »
 :drif:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:41 am »
No that was just for the exhibition. One side is the real wheels, the other is like the marie biscuit wheels they put on F1 cars to roll them around on....The wheels are stressed to something like 2000 G's.....forget the exact numbers, it's all quite mind-boggling....but REAL. They specifically instructed people NOT to touch the wheels.

Check their website

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

One of their goals, and selling points to sponsors, is attracting kids to engineering. From what I saw, Britain will be up there with Germany in regards to engineering prowess in 15 years or so.....not to say they were ever far behind......remember Spitfire vs. Me 109?? Or the Whittle jet engine?

And not a single "african" in sight other than the security guards outside  :laughing4: apparently not very interesting to newly-literate Social Science Know-It-Alls  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:21:35 pm by Whethefakawe »

Offline XTFREAK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:59:35 am »
Thanks for posting! very interesting topic.
Does anyone know when they will be doing this run??

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:01:41 pm »
No that was just for the exhibition. One side is the real wheels, the other is like the marie biscuit wheels they put on F1 cars to roll them around on....The wheels are stressed to something like 2000 G's.....forget the exact numbers, it's all quite mind-boggling....but REAL. They specifically instructed people NOT to touch the wheels.

Check their website

One of their goals, and selling points to sponsors, is attracting kids to engineering. From what I saw, Britain will be up there with Germany in regards to engineering prowess in 15 years or so.....

And not a single "african" in sight  :laughing4: apparently not very interesting to newly-literate Social Science Know-It-Alls  :imaposer:

That Twot talking to the driver, looks like that Wayne Carini Septic in "Chasing Classic Cars" or something like that who restores and Auctions classic cars in the USA? 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:03:41 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »
Oct 2016 for a 800 mph run, then some time in 2017 for the 1000 mph attempt.

That's the plan, anyways. I understand they are doing a dummy run on some abandoned RAF airbase some time soon.....

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:06:28 pm »

Check their website

One of their goals, and selling points to sponsors, is attracting kids to engineering. From what I saw, Britain will be up there with Germany in regards to engineering prowess in 15 years or so.....

And not a single "african" in sight  :laughing4: apparently not very interesting to newly-literate Social Science Know-It-Alls  :imaposer:

That Twot talking to the driver, looks like that Wayne Carini Septic in "Chasing Classic Cars" or something like that who restores and Auctions classic cars in the USA? 8)

Dunno mate....don't have TV  :laughing4:

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 12:13:23 pm »
Went to the Duxford air show the weekend before......18 Spitfires, and many other classics, flying....the Spits were hair-raising....had my mate Andrew in tow, whose father was a WW2 SAAF Wing Leader....seeing that many Spits "scramble" 100m away was a seminal moment, I tell yer....then the sky was full of Spits and Merlin noise for 30 minutes....I was jumping up and down like a 4-year old in a Dublin pub.....I'll post some shots soon.  

Summer in England is gearhead heaven  :3some:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:27:08 pm by Whethefakawe »

Offline volroom

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 12:13:36 pm »
I really want to go see this, if possible. would general public be allowed to spectate?
2003 R1150GS

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 12:18:00 pm »
This was a once-off event, the first public showing of the "car"....but I was told spectators will be allowed at Verneukpan.

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »
They had a replica on exhibit at the trade fair in July. I also would he liked to see it, but they postponed the 400km test cause the area was to dry and had to much dust
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 01:29:02 pm »
This was a once-off event, the first public showing of the "car"....but I was told spectators will be allowed at Verneukpan.

I'm sure it's Hakskeenpan?

That definitely is a leap into the future.
All family cars should come with a single cockpit.
 :biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Takashi

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

I'm sure it's Hakskeenpan?

That definitely is a leap into the future.
All family cars should come with a single cockpit.
 :biggrin:

Jip definitely Hakskeenpan.

Verneukpan has too many stones to clear to get the 18000sq meter track free of debris.

Go read the website as posted earlier... Many facts for the engineers and petrol heads to drool over.

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »
I've been following this closely and I'm putting a bike trip together for the 1000mph run in 2017. 1000km each way for 1000mph :D

The general public will definitely be allowed...encouraged even. The Northern Cape Tourism Board has grabbed a hold of this good & proper. They're setting up a water supply, ablutions, medical facilities, police & security, cell phone coverage...

The tricky thing is that the conditions have to be absolutely perfect for the 1000mph run so it's almost impossible for them to pin down a date & time. There'll be a window of about a week, so you're going to have to camp out in the desert for a week just waiting for something that might not even happen...I'm not complaining though :sip:
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline XTFREAK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 03:10:54 pm »
I've been following this closely and I'm putting a bike trip together for the 1000mph run in 2017. 1000km each way for 1000mph :D

The general public will definitely be allowed...encouraged even. The Northern Cape Tourism Board has grabbed a hold of this good & proper. They're setting up a water supply, ablutions, medical facilities, police & security, cell phone coverage...

The tricky thing is that the conditions have to be absolutely perfect for the 1000mph run so it's almost impossible for them to pin down a date & time. There'll be a window of about a week, so you're going to have to camp out in the desert for a week just waiting for something that might not even happen...I'm not complaining though :sip:
Please keep me posted, maybe make a thread regarding the trip (event) Im as keen as mustard!

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 04:04:58 pm »

Please keep me posted, maybe make a thread regarding the trip (event) Im as keen as mustard!

There's a thread running (sort of) here and there's another one somewhere but I can't find it now.

I'll definitely make a "Planning a Ride" thread closer to the time.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.