Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TDT finds the "end" of the road in the Karoo & ended with a life-lesson!!!  (Read 5987 times)

Offline XRRX

As I'm sitting here in front of my laptop, I'm thinking back to the past 6 days! I'm sad it's over - yes - a bit tired too - but I'm blessed with fond memories!! My bike; my gear - everything is filthy dirty and my bike sits on a flat rear Mitas - but it is all just testimony of the privilege of having been part of a piece of our great country over the past 6 days and 1700km.
 Here then a summary and pictures - trying to give just a glimpse of this adventure - which can only really be appreciated by doing it yourself on a bike ...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:02:44 pm by XRRX »

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
Nou maar gooi laat ons sien.  :deal: :thumleft:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline XRRX

We got together last Saturday morning at 9 am at the Mugg&Bean at PetroSA. After coffee, we rode via Vleesbaai and Gourits past Melkhoutfontein to Stilbay.
The harbour at Stilbay provided us with great atmosphere, scenery and a great "brunch"!  :thumleft: From here it was past Blombos; Vermaaklikheid to Witsand for a refuel and something cold. Then on our way to the Malgas pont - always something special in this modern day and age!!
After the peaceful cruise over the Breede river, we had a beer at the Malgas Lodge. From here the gravel to Swellendam, and again gravel to Bonnievale. Here we stopped to try and find accommodation with the help of Google, but all in vain! We rode to Montagu, and I tried "Die Bos" - a place where I stayed once in the past - and great - we got a Backpackers type of chalet for a decent rate!
After unpacking we went to town, looking for a "nice" pub to watch the game between the Boks and Scotland. First one was small and packed, next one too noisy and  :snorting: :bueller:
So we went back during half-time to our chalet, and listened to the 2nd half over my Nokia "draadloos" - placed on an empty glass for better acoustics !!!  :-[ :patch: This was actually great, and while the boks were winning, we lit the fire and had a good braai and nice evening ...

Offline XRRX

Some more pics from Day 1 ...

Offline XRRX

And more ...

Offline XRRX

... and more ...  :-[

Offline XRRX

Last for Day 1 ...  ;)

Offline Matewis

“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Skolla

That was a very nice trip again,thx to all who made it possible.I almost bought a plot between Tankwa padstal and Sutherland due to very lose gravel and very bad corrigation,the only thing that saved me was ABS and bang vir val.My partners will say "what gravel, and we didn't feel any corrigation ". :biggrin:  :lol8:

Offline XRRX

Our plan for day 2 was to have a "rustige" ride to Cederberg Oasis - only 242 km as per GPS ...  ::) We wasn't chasing after record kms covered, but to see as much as possible and  TO STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM TAR AS POSSIBLE !!  :deal:
From Montagu we took the gravel via Ouberg Pass to Touwsriver for breakfast. The Ouberg Pass is really beautiful, with quite a bit of water along the various little drifts. At the N1 Steers at Touwsriver I had to park the XR's front wheel against the DR - to keep it upright on the level concrete - as the DR was laden so heavily that the side-stand was too long !!!  ::) ::) :P
3 k's After Touwsriver we took a left, and then left again to Pienaarspoort - this was probably a decision that led to a very interesting but loooong day!!  :patch:
Baked Beans was the navigator - armed with 2 GPS's - one with reception but poor mapping - the other with good mapping but little to no reception ...  ::) :biggrin:
This led to a lot of left and rights - with the last one being to "Gatsriver" .... We rode until the farm roads became a jeep track, and then until the jeep track ended at an old rusted locked gate ... The last few km saw Skolla harvesting the Karoo "bossies" with his pannier-bags ...  :lol8: It was quite a mission to turn the laden bikes around - and off we went - back on our tracks for 50 - 60 km before we found the correct route to Katbakkies Pass.
On the Ceres - Calvinia road as well as the Katbakkies route to "Op die Berg", it was a challenge to keep the bikes upright - with a storming Northwester giving its all to remove the bike underneath you on the loose gravel, with us travelling at 120kmh as much as possible to reach Cederberg Oasis before dark ...
On Katbakkies we each took a strong Balentine's  to counter the wind ...  :peepwall:
With fuel running low by now - we made Cederberg Oasis for a great sunset, drinks; chats; friendly people; great food and a "lekker" camp!!!  :thumleft:
What an excellent day on a bike - thanks BB for the navigational error!!  :thumleft: ;)

Offline XRRX

That was a very nice trip again,thx to all who made it possible.I almost bought a plot between Tankwa padstal and Sutherland due to very lose gravel and very bad corrigation,the only thing that saved me was ABS and bang vir val.My partners will say "what gravel, and we didn't feel any corrigation ". :biggrin:  :lol8:

:imaposer: :eek7:

Offline XRRX

More from Day 2 ...

Offline XRRX

More Day 2 ...  :)

Offline XRRX

Last of Day 2 - Day 3-6 tbc ...

Online Frannarossi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
Lekker man,gooi die res.
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline XRRX

Lekker man,gooi die res.

:thumleft:
Moet ongelukkig werk ook vandag ...  :'(

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
Lekker man,gooi die res.

:thumleft:
Moet ongelukkig werk ook vandag ...  :'(

Van waneer af doen jy daai ding ?  :patch:

Hou op verskonings uit dink en gooi kiekies.  :deal: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Hierdie RR laat my gat jeuk :biggrin:

Ek sien daai Truimph het n geologiese handbriek :deal: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Toffie@2

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
Hierdie RR laat my gat jeuk :biggrin:

Ek sien daai Truimph het n geologiese handbriek :deal: ;)

:lol8: Loshande die oudste van sy soort! Lekker RR!  :thumleft:
Yamaha 175 IT
Yamaha 125 YBR (Varsity wiele)
2007 BMW F650GS
2014 KTM 1190 Adv (Sold)
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Skolla

Ja Chris en Toffie@2,Katbakkies is maar redelik skuins toe moes ek maar n handbriek inwerk bang die ou gaan vort sonder my  :lol8: