Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding on deep sand roads  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Riding on deep sand roads
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 12:58:09 pm »
Were going to a private reserve in a couple of weeks time that has those deep snaking, tweespore with a wall of sand on each side. The bike is going on a trailer. My wife and I did it once on the 990 and that was worst experience I ever had on a bike

Something like this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oKGRWkXEyp0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oKGRWkXEyp0</a>

or this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-nek_c8-a1w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-nek_c8-a1w</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O-jXkXbyuuY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O-jXkXbyuuY</a>

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:05:46 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 01:16:55 pm »
RR top clip is it Gmond-Hbay or Brandse Baai to Gmond?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:46 pm »

Lutzville - Hondeklipbaai

Offline Bensien

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 01:48:22 pm »
The road Im talking about has about a half meter wall of sand on the outsides and the middelmannetjie is the height of a 4x4s diff. It also twists  and turns  all the time, so you hardly have any sections that run straight for more than a couple of metres.  Ill take some photos and maybe a video. I would really like to learn how to ride it.

To give an example how deep the sand is on the farm. For the tension and corner fence posts, they dig a 2x2x2m hole and fill it with concrete. 
This is why the bike is going on a trailer this time. I can play and practice without pressure. The worst part about the first time was living all weekend with prospect of having to do it again on the way back
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 02:03:22 pm »

Weird thing about the Lutzville to GRmond is that years back i could do that route with one hand, then Sparks Esterhuizen got the OK from De Beers to do the Hbay to GRmond section but his tour ran for the whole piece along the coast.
I counted up to 50 + 4x4s past my house so times.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 02:10:10 pm »

Weird thing about the Lutzville to GRmond is that years back i could do that route with one hand, then Sparks Esterhuizen got the OK from De Beers to do the Hbay to GRmond section but his tour ran for the whole piece along the coast.
I counted up to 50 + 4x4s past my house so times.

I cant remember exactly where on the route the footage was taken but probably Lutzville to GRmond.

Here is some more footage, if you know the area well you will be able to work out where it is.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2kdBjzzG-94" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2kdBjzzG-94</a>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:19:31 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 02:53:38 pm »
I do plenty of sand riding (how is that to establish my credentials: do lots of sand riding  :lol8:).  People say lots of things:  lighter bike is better, etc.  Truth is that a middle weight such as a 650 that is correctly set up will be more stable than a 300 - 450 class bike in sandy, open, 2 spoor.  The small bike will be easier for the 1st 40 m and the last 10m.  If is really tight, the plastics are better, but then stability is not an issue.  In dunes, it does not really matter, everything is fun.  I've taken a 1200 Adventure into the dunes.  I took out the valve cores and then put the dust caps back on. It did OKish.

Which brings us neatly to the issue of tire pressure.  This year (after lots of testing) for Amageza I fitted a narrower front tire to the 690 (was a 80/100 21") and I kept the pressure around 0.8 bar.  Previous 2 years I was on fat rallye tyres at 0.6 bar.  The thing is, yes, it floats, but you cant turn worth a damn and crossing 4x4 tracks suck.  The narrower tyre helps you to steer like a small plastic in sand and it cuts straight through crossing tracks without threatening a high side. Makes it easier to follow a flowing 2 spoor in deep sand.

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 08:32:21 pm »
I think it's a bit of a mindset. Once you start enjoying the sand I think you  relax, and enjoy it more. Sandy twee spoor like the Hondeklipbaai bit has the most corner traction of any surface and just about impossible to slide out.

But at the same time if you tense up it simply seems impossible to get going, yet guys around you make it look so easy. I remember my first west coast ride on my 950 with road tires. If you had told me then that sand would be become my favorite surface that day I might have laughed, after I had stopped crying that is.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 07:12:46 am »
I do plenty of sand riding (how is that to establish my credentials: do lots of sand riding  :lol8:).  People say lots of things:  lighter bike is better, etc.  Truth is that a middle weight such as a 650 that is correctly set up will be more stable than a 300 - 450 class bike in sandy, open, 2 spoor.  The small bike will be easier for the 1st 40 m and the last 10m.  If is really tight, the plastics are better, but then stability is not an issue.  In dunes, it does not really matter, everything is fun.  I've taken a 1200 Adventure into the dunes.  I took out the valve cores and then put the dust caps back on. It did OKish.

Which brings us neatly to the issue of tire pressure.  This year (after lots of testing) for Amageza I fitted a narrower front tire to the 690 (was a 80/100 21") and I kept the pressure around 0.8 bar.  Previous 2 years I was on fat rallye tyres at 0.6 bar.  The thing is, yes, it floats, but you cant turn worth a damn and crossing 4x4 tracks suck.  The narrower tyre helps you to steer like a small plastic in sand and it cuts straight through crossing tracks without threatening a high side. Makes it easier to follow a flowing 2 spoor in deep sand.

I use a 120/90 on the rear. Bike handles much lighter in rough stuff and sand
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 08:22:50 am »
I do plenty of sand riding (how is that to establish my credentials: do lots of sand riding  :lol8:).  People say lots of things:  lighter bike is better, etc.  Truth is that a middle weight such as a 650 that is correctly set up will be more stable than a 300 - 450 class bike in sandy, open, 2 spoor.  The small bike will be easier for the 1st 40 m and the last 10m.  If is really tight, the plastics are better, but then stability is not an issue.  In dunes, it does not really matter, everything is fun.  I've taken a 1200 Adventure into the dunes.  I took out the valve cores and then put the dust caps back on. It did OKish.

Which brings us neatly to the issue of tire pressure.  This year (after lots of testing) for Amageza I fitted a narrower front tire to the 690 (was a 80/100 21") and I kept the pressure around 0.8 bar.  Previous 2 years I was on fat rallye tyres at 0.6 bar.  The thing is, yes, it floats, but you cant turn worth a damn and crossing 4x4 tracks suck.  The narrower tyre helps you to steer like a small plastic in sand and it cuts straight through crossing tracks without threatening a high side. Makes it easier to follow a flowing 2 spoor in deep sand.

I use a 120/90 on the rear. Bike handles much lighter in rough stuff and sand

I was afraid to damage the stupidly wide 690 rear rim by going too narrow.  However, I ended up used a Pirelli Mid hard in 140/18 which was the same width as the 120/18 on the plastics.  It was fine. So, yes, your point is good, narrower equals more handling.

Just as a matter of interest, the XR650R used to come with a 110/18 rear.  Cant remember that we thought that it sucked in sand at the time...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:53:13 am by Bill the Bong »

Offline ADVENTURE HUNTER

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 11:07:10 am »
Hier is een van die 2015 GS Trophy, sorry ek leer nog die gopro tricks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zCKwf_TnnfY

Offline Bazinga

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 02:13:47 pm »
I must say the first day of Amageza last year was a real learning curve for myself. I had ridden sand before but nothing I rode before quite prepared me for that sand and dunes. I still remember stopping at some point during the special and chatting (read: finding an excuse to stop and recover) to one of the other riders who said straight out 'I have never ridden sand before today' 'We don't have sand in Gauteng'. Well I stood there a bit slack-jawed for a few moments but realized I was pretty much the same. You quickly learn that you need to be moving it if you don't want to be fighting it all the time. You then also realize why you stand while riding sand - I would let the bike, using its momentum, to flick around in the sand underneath me but accelerating to keep it continuing to go straight (unless you decelerate then you're screwed). I knew I had to keep it over 60-70kph to ride on top of the sand best was close to 100kph but then there were those gates that come on quick :o . Once you get that... you will cruise. Every gate we came across (there were a lot) I would accelerate into it and right at the last possible moment drop anchors on the back only and lean back. Stopping right in front of the gate without kakking off on the way in. I remember saying to myself - Lean back, Look up and Accelerate. Perhaps some advise from an amateur rider.

That was me you were talking to ha ha ha

Offline andrew5336

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 12:06:20 pm »
Hehe, get a tw :peepwall:

That's what I did. Ponta was too too much fun!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 12:49:03 pm »
I tried the first time a few months ago and recorded it. I'm a bit embarrassed by the video but the fact that I could ride it at at all was news to me. I must admit the bike you are on makes it a hundred times easier.
I tried this before on a BMW 650 and I fell a lot more. I only fell once on that video and it was my only fall of the day.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_Hp5rvXPID8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_Hp5rvXPID8</a>
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Koos van den Heever

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »

Bill, het jy vir die mense ges hoe vinning jy op Amageza verby die leeus in die dik sand gejaag het?   :deal:
Ek het gesukkel om by jou te bly!!!   ;)
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:39 pm »

Bill, het jy vir die mense ges hoe vinning jy op Amageza verby die leeus in die dik sand gejaag het?   :deal:

Vermoed jou roadbook gaan n paar tulips vermis volgende jaar  :thumleft:

Offline Koos van den Heever

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »

Vermoed jou roadbook gaan n paar tulips vermis volgende jaar  :thumleft:

Hahaha!!!
Dit was baie maklik:  Hou die wiele op die grond, die throttle ver oop, o op die horison, bangheid in jou sak en jaag die stof daar voor!!!   :deal: :peepwall:

KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »
 :P

Offline SteveD