Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Today I rode a 690 and ........  (Read 1126 times)

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Today I rode a 690 and ........
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »
.......I liked it :thumleft:

After about 2 years riding regularly with a friend of mine, we swopped bikes today on the canal roads and beyond outside Harties.

Owning a 640 & 990, here's my thoughts:

Absolute hooligan machine! This bike does not want to be ridden slowly on any form of offroad surface.  The front is obviously super light compared to my other bikes and fortunately for a lack of rain the gravel surface was very loose so no surprise wheelies.  The back end is just simply built for power slides and a heap of fun.  (I must mention at this stage that I am by no measure a good rider)

The bike immediately instilled confidence and I found myself purposely riding the 'middel mannetjie' to seek the worst possible line and loosest gravel.  There was nothing I could through at it that made me in any way uncomfortable.

Hats off to KTM for what I believe is a brilliant bike!  :3some:

Would I buy one? .... Funny enough No :eek7:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Today I rode a 690 and ........
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:36:14 pm »
Pretty good summary! You list all the reasons I have not thought about getting a different bike for the first time in my life :ricky:

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:31:33 am »

Why not?
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:46:27 pm »

Why not?

I think it's more a personal preference than any technical reason Omninorm.

As stated, I am privileged to own the 640 & 990, and I'm struggling to see where this bike would fit in .... and I think that's part of the problem that I should not compare it anywhere or with anything.

With my 1.95m built, the bike felt a little bit small for me and I think suit shorter riders a bit better, not sure?

Comparing it to the 640 is unfair as it runs circles around it and is much lighter, but then again .... comparing it with the 640 it feels like a plastic bike (which it probably in a way is).  I like the touring feel of the 640 & 990 and, even with an expensive fairing added to it, I don't think I'll get the same feel as I do with the 640.

For a Amageza type event, I'll rather be on the 690 than 640, but then again, I think I'll rather be on a 450 than the 690.  See where I'm going with this?  (Not sure I do either  :bueller:)

I remain of the opinion that it is a great bike and when my mate offers it again, I certainly won't hesitate to get on and take it for a spin again.  

And ...... walking into a KTM dealer over the weekend and seeing a 450 is R99k and the 690 is R117k, that confuses me even further.  :eek7:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:57:10 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:21 pm »

Why not?

I think it's more a personal preference than any technical reason Omninorm.

As stated, I am privileged to own the 640 & 990, and I'm struggling to see where this bike would fit in .... and I think that's part of the problem that I should not compare it anywhere or with anything.

With my 1.95m built, the bike felt a little bit small for me and I think suit shorter riders a bit better, not sure?

Comparing it to the 640 is unfair as it runs circles around it and is much lighter, but then again .... comparing it with the 640 it feels like a plastic bike (which it probably in a way is).  I like the touring feel of the 640 & 990 and, even with an expensive fairing added to it, I don't think I'll get the same feel as I do with the 640.

For a Amageza type event, I'll rather be on the 690 than 640, but then again, I think I'll rather be on a 450 than the 690.  See where I'm going with this?  (Not sure I do either  :bueller:)

I remain of the opinion that it is a great bike and when my mate offers it again, I certainly won't hesitate to get on and take it for a spin again.  

And ...... walking into a KTM dealer over the weekend and seeing a 450 is R99k and the 690 is R117k, that confuses me even further.  :eek7:

I hear you perfectly.

I myself am struggling with just this. I'm in the market for a KTM 690 or a BMW XChallenge. The XChallenge at least straddles stuff but the 690 is out and out a bike dirtbike. And to me thats what makes it so cool.  It almost feels illegal to ride that thing through traffic :D
BUT , yeah, IF there was a new KTM 640 I'd rather buy that.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:39:43 pm »
Such a pity they never followed with another 640 type bike.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:40:29 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline The_Crow

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • Bike Hub
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:07 pm »
Having recently ridden a X-Challenge and a 690 I can confirm that the 690 is more of a hooligan machine. On paper they may be close, but that 690 wants to...I want to say "fcuk off", but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. It really is a monster.

I had a deal confirmed to buy one only to pull out when I discovered the bike had already spent a month at KTM due to a gearbox problem. That with less than 4500km on the clock. If they could sort reliability (KTM CT) I'd be on one tomorrow. No bike model or brand is 100%, but the 690 suffers too many too often. Yes, some have been 100% reliable.

The X-Challenge feels more sedated and civil, but is the closest compromise I could find. Not a bad bike - not at all. It's just that the 690 is a bit of a freak of nature.
There's a feeling I get
When I look to the West
And my spirit is crying for leaving