Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lane splitting - please take care.  (Read 814 times)

Offline Tusk

Re: Lane splitting - please take care.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 07:57:20 pm »
I think in a nutshell:

Loud pipes help!
Its pointless to lane split if the traffic is moving reasonably well.
Be Cautious!

I have removed some mirrors of idiot drivers(especially taxis)-i know I shouldnt, but at the time when my nuts are wrapped around my handlebars from braking so hard...well..it makes me do mad things!

It may be that you get away with that type of behaviour in a big city like Cape Town, but in a small town you would be looking for trouble. It would only be a matter of time before revenge would be reaped. And even a taxi without a mirror can flatten a 750.
KDX 200

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11:29 am »
Lane splitting this morning on the way to work I was reminded of this thread with 5 bikes queued behind a Hardley Davidson "lane splitting" @ 40 km/h.  If you're going to lane split at the same speed or slower than the traffic - don't,  you're an obstruction to the rest of the biking community. 
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 08:36:59 am »
I obviously won't be lane splitting for a very long time yet, but once I ever get confident enough to do so, I hope I will be one of the more sensible people out there.

Sad to here that the rider was so horrible afterwards as well though - the poor newspaper guy must've been in a toestand  :o :o :o

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • ...XTZ 750 Super Tenere
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:46 pm »
[

It may be that you get away with that type of behaviour in a big city like Cape Town, but in a small town you would be looking for trouble. It would only be a matter of time before revenge would be reaped. And even a taxi without a mirror can flatten a 750.
[/quote]

Ja Tusk, maybe you should stay in your one horse town....and not venture into the big bad bad city....

It is time.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
Quote from:  author=superten link=topic=18170.msg296641#msg296641 date=1211831806

Ja Tusk, maybe you should stay in your one horse town....and not venture into the big bad bad city....

I think in a nutshell:

Loud pipes help!
Its pointless to lane split if the traffic is moving reasonably well.
Be Cautious!

I have removed some mirrors of idiot drivers(especially taxis)-i know I shouldnt, but at the time when my nuts are wrapped around my handlebars from braking so hard...well..it makes me do mad things!

You don't think the problem might be with you? Your attitude towards other roar users and the way you ride can make a huge difference to your commuting stress levels and safety? 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:08:29 pm by michnus »

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • ...XTZ 750 Super Tenere
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:08 pm »
It might be with me, but lets look at some facts and figures.

I have driven over 600 000 km in the last 20 years without having one accident.
Any taxi drivers guilty of that?

YES! I choose to drive and ride aggressively and defensively.Yet I have never caused an accident.

Drivers who just accept that taxis, and other pigs on the road, 'just drive like that' and let them get away with it, are just giving in, and letting the bad drivers repeat the same thing over and over again.

Yes, I choose to tear the varking taxi mirror off when he knows he is cutting me off, and you know what?I am sure that he will think twice about it before he does it again.

People who say'oh, but what about the fact that the guy will try to knock bikes off because you made him hate bikers?'

Dont you get it?He will knock you off anyway.
It is time.

Offline Catch 22

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 10:25:45 am »
I was listening to 5fm the other day and they were talking about bikes splitting lanes, the cage drivers that phoned in moaning about it didn't seem to realize that is legal. Cage drivers are the ones that need educating and attitude adjustments. If only their attitudes were as easy to adjust as it is for us to adjust their mirrors!

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
Something else to be carefull of:
Saw a guy lane splitting last night, N1 North on the way to Pta. The time was just after sunset. He went past a truck, and I saw him taking evasive action, couldn't figure out why. Until I got closer to the truck, there were pieces of rebar steel hanging over the edges of the truck - head hight to a biker. WTF??? Fortunately the guy saw it in time, he was going slow enough. Just think, it's dark, he is coming through at speed, road is wet, hitting a piece of steel. If he wasn't taken down by the steel, he would have had somebody drive over him because of the dark.

Be carefull of things hanging of the back or sides of trucks and bakkies