Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Repair after chain break  (Read 335 times)

Offline Tallisman

Repair after chain break
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
Hi All,
Chain broke and destroyed chainguide.  Also damage the plastic guard mounted above the swing arm.  Any second hand parts / bikes stripped for spares around who could supply or is it agents only?

Im also looking for sprockets - 15 front / 42 rear 525.  Cape Town Helderberg area. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: Repair after chain break
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »
AGAIN:
Do not use the oem chain on your DR650SE (DID 525V8) or DRZ400 (DID520V8).
I)f you use them check them very carefully and frequently for uneven stretch and discard them as soon as they start showing uneven stretch.

These chains have a long standing track record of wearing fast and parting before reaching their normal wear limit.
I had one parting on one of my DR's after some 15,000km.
I have seen a stack of pictures where the same has happened. All chains had between 10,000 and 15,000km, sometimes less and all chains showed side pates which split through one rivet pin hole.

I was lucky and had no collateral and managed to find a cheap (R140 or so) and nasty 525 roller chain combined harvester grade at BMG in Vryburg KZN which got me home to the Cape.
As worst case scenario you might end up with a cracked crank case :o
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)