Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikesquad - Unit Nostalgia. Training Process to follow.  (Read 90474 times)

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
This was my platoon when we were issued with DR 500's, brand new, for a week to get our licences..... we split up into groups and hung around the Potch girls high and the female students residents..... what a jol but difficult to wheelie those dr,s..... almost like they had detuned them....... hahaha BLUESTONE but for bikes.  :imaposer: :imaposer:

I wish.I could remember the 2 liner instructer closest to the camera....Eikenhof or something. Anyone know perhaps?

:imaposer: "Eeikenhof" .....well you got the German part right...... that's JJ Ueckermann, my mate who is now a 777 pilot at Cathay Pacific Airlines.....he was at Oudtshoorn with me, although I didn't know him personally until Potch, he went to horses when I joined bikes, later became a bike instructor, had never ridden a bike really....although his boet had the above-mentioned XR 500 E....excellent pic! I'll  send it to him, he lives in Phuket Thailand now. This was in 1983 btw.

JJ and I left the army on the same day, in fact we drove out the gate at Berede in my bakkie with Joe Walsh playing at 1000dB.....as soon as we cleared the boom, I stopped, we debussed and both got into shorts flip-flops and T-shirts, then we gooied brown eyes back up the road.....the RSM's office looked right down it  :imaposer: we were both sergeants, and klaared out without checking out wth that duwis.....

Aaaaaah the stories  :imaposer:

Aaah cheers Yuri...... thanks and please send my regards to JJ. What a decent guy and I feel sorry for him as he took us for our coin ops phase and definitely had a handful.

As for Corp de Klerk.... I'm sure someone kakked in his boots before we left for the border....?
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline Whethefakawe

:laughing4: yes I seem to remember something along those lines.....he was a HARD f**ker hey....but dumb as a bag of spanners, good old plaas boykie from the western Transvaal....tough as nails, and dead....died in acar crash about 1988....
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Whethefakawe

I just sifted through my photos....will post a few of the testing session. Have patience, grasshopper.....

This was basically the testing group, forget who took it...with my camera. L to R....Alberto, who lives in Natal now....then ?? Du Toit, who had been in Platoon 12 the year before and disappeared while we were in Ovamboland, then Bruce McKellar RIP, Mike Deglon, behind is Pottie the mechanic, and Patrick in Honda red and me in Suzuki yellow. Note the bike on left is the 19-inch wheeled XR 500, then the two Krieks, then a stock XR 500 and moi on the chicks' quad  :imaposer:  

Patrick at left and me doing my best c**t impression

During testing at what is now GEROTEK facility...forget what it was called then, but semi-secret military spot. Ron Wood is in shorts with the white hair at left, and I am standing with arms folded in centre in yellow...two okes sitting to my right are Bruce McKellar and Patrick Devy, rest were all army or Armscor types....at far left is one of the Krieks

Deglon wheelying up the steepest downhill section.....scary steep, this pic doesn't do it justice....he was one of the top 2 or 3 trials riders in SA at the time, ex- national champ....one of the most skilled riders I have ever seen.....and an absolute fecking HOOLIGAN.....jissis we had some wild times, his cousin Alan who was SA speedway champion was my neighbour......and I spent my 21st biffday with this lot....another story for the books...included speedway racing and the customary post-race brawls, smashing my brand new bakkie, and lots....LOTS of alcohol....and a set of severely disillusioned parental units (mine)  :imaposer:

The Off-Highway Equipment convoy to Riemvasmaak, with the two Krieks on a trailer.

More later.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:46:37 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Yippie , erken n paar gesigte op die fotos.
Laat dit kom, mooi so Whethefakawe !

Offline Whethefakawe

You've got me all paranoid now......

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Juri, those are great photo's about the "Kriek", and the 19" wheeled XR???

Offline Whethefakawe

BTW Jeff....I have  contact with Glenn Kieser from your platoon, who was an authorised army photographer....he has over 1000 slides that he took during training and ops....he gave me a few scans, and we have discussed making a book of ALL the photos we can lay our hands on.....should be a hoot. A few years ago, when I first posted my bike squad story (geez....9 years already) I gathered lots of gen, and wrote down all my memories and stories, much of which I would not remember now.....extremely detailed, most of it.....and many others' too..... may have to resuscitate that project hey  :biggrin:

I'll post a few of Glenn's slides, with his blessing....I am sure you'll see yerself in them  :laughing4:

Bed time again.

Offline Whethefakawe

Juri, those are great photo's about the "Kriek", and the 19" wheeled XR???

Yes Dan....have some better ones of the Krieks, will post later, very moeg now.....cheers

PS the "equal wheel size" theory was a bunch of shite  :laughing4:

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
Albrecht Albers! Now there's a man who could ride! I haven't seen him for a while. After he finished plantation work at Kataza I saw him in the waiting room, he was doing contract work on golf courses. Haven't seen him since. Set some of the best WFO events in Zululand.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
Like daai safari suit  :biggrin:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Dish

so question from left field to all... and im hoping someone knows or remembers....

on the XR 500R, the choke was a black lever near the carb... when the choke is OFF... the lever is down right.... to put choke on you pulled the little lever up... am I right?? stupid question I know..

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Like daai safari suit  :biggrin:
Netso ! At eas !

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
A pic of Yuri,  Wherethefuckarewe.

Military KLR.

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
Camo tyres  :o  Bugger, I have just fitted new black tyres.

Offline Whethefakawe

:o :o :imaposer: No Jeff that's not me china........dunno who they were.....around 86/88 I'd guess....after Pl 14 the focus became urban, this was obviously during that period. I've only had sporadic contact with Patrick lately, but will ask him next time we talk. He is in the far NE corner of Uganda and I think all the k@k in Sudan lately has impacted his business very negatively....

Offline evansv

Military KLR. Is that not a KX, as that looks like a 2 stroke pipe?
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......

Military KLR. Is that not a KX, as that looks like a 2 stroke pipe?

Good call but you only spotted that because the pipe isn't camouflaged, didn't you ?

Offline evansv

Fook, you worked me out :lol8:

Some fantastic pictures here!

Great to see!
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
I thought it is a later model of this diesel variant  ......

I see the original pic's tank is like a long range 2 stroke tank.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:37:46 am by The Badger »

Offline Whethefakawe

A pic of Yuri,  Wherethefuckarewe.

Military KLR.

Jeff - curious about this pic...clearly a road-riding group, and judging by the number of snorre and p**s berets they can only be Papa Foxtrots ....or campers :laughing4:   where did you get it? The healthy eater far right looks a lot like a horse corporal I knew then, his name was HORN....he once was half a metre behind a claymore that went off cause someone f**ked up  :imaposer: he didn't appreciate me laughin and laughing at him.....

The second one is the 'Murkan idea of a bike squad...called the HAYES M1030, basically a  diesel KLR650. I looked at their webpage, it's funny to see the same misconceptions and silly ideas that the SADF had about bikes. And they cost over $18000 each  :imaposer: someone is making a killing!!  They weigh 370 pounds/170 kg empty.....now load them up with 4,2 US gallons of fuel (at 3,7 l/usgal = 16 kg) plus all the crap the yanks carry in the field (the average US infantryman carries something like 80 pounds = 36kg of shite....) and you're at almost  300kg all-up weight. And that's figuring on about a 80 kg soldier....of which there are few in the US military....or the US for that matter  :lol8: Good luck in the sand with that   :3some:

I really don't know what would be a good bike for this purpose nowadays. The old XR's were about as bullet-proof as you could get, with liquid cooling that simplicity is gone....and even they could only handle three months of the use we put them to, before they needed some serious service and overhaul...........mind you, in those 3 months they only got air filters cleaned and chains adjusted......this M1030 supposedly runs on diesel and several different kinds of jet fuel, all of which are merely more refined diesel. I'd really be interested to talk to some of their troops and ask some pertinent questions ..... I suspect they have MAJOR reliability problems with clogged injectors....diesels are very finicky that way....pour some water into that tank and that bike isn't going ANYWHERE. An old petrol Honda or Yamaha? drain it out and keep going.....

Interesting!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:22:34 am by Whethefakawe »