Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikesquad - Unit Nostalgia. Training Process to follow.  (Read 75471 times)

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Re: Bikesquad - How I got selected for Bikesquad.
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2015, 06:27:07 pm »
Doen PT oor !

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
Re: Bikesquad - How I got selected for Bikesquad.
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:53 am »
Thanks for all the lekker posts everyone.

Sorry for the long gap but I have been working out the country with limited Internet.

Dan and Jurie, nice insights .... thanks :thumleft:  We all seem to have unique experiences of getting into a very unique unit. I feel privileged  :deal:

Here are some pics and army badges relating to our unit Berede and SWASPES. Thanks to to Barry from the SWASPES  page.

After this I will start on our training.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
Re: Bikesquad - Unit Nostalgia. Training Process to follow.
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:03 am »
Some more.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2016, 12:07:49 pm »
First time I've come across this thread. Excellent. I was in Bike Squad Platoon 6 and 7, July 79 to June 81 intake. I am still in contact with a number of guys that were in our intake. A couple of us have met up on a few occasions and forced a few Lion Lagers down when they were available! I was part of the section that stayed in camp the day Swannie was killed. Was bleak times. Especially knowing we would be riding out on those same roads and paths. Peter Fourie who lives in Windhoek seems to have a large collection of photos. I will try and get him to email me some and post them. We had an absolute jorl on the bikes and were totally out of control. Senior rank hated us. For me the funniest day of my life was the first time that our group rode in the very soft sand from Oshivello heading out towards Tsinsabis as part of our border orientation. At that stage I was one of the few that could ride soft sand. The crashes and falling off and riding into fences was a sight to behold. I nearly died laughing. I think the ranks threat was that if you couldn't ride soft sand you were out of bike squad. Most learned real fast!!
I think our favourite wheely spot  was outside the air force base where we got maximum audience! Many many fond memories!

The following users thanked this post: cowpuncher

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2016, 08:59:04 am »
Hi Cuzzy!

You were then with my brother's intake, Francois Winterbach. Remember Juan Van der Spek?

We also had as one of our 1st trips, the Tsintsabis route and this is where I saw with my own eyes how a guy [think it was Gobie] gets hung up in a thorn tree that his feet is nt touching ground. Much hilarity from the rest of us over his misfortune. This was about July 1979, on Honda XL350's.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2016, 01:07:16 pm »
Anyone know where I can get a complete engine for an XR500RE?? Have posted in wanted but not much success. Cheers

Steve
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

The following users thanked this post: Voyager

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:06 pm »
Come boys! We need more stories! And a reunion of sorts!

Offline Snuggles

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Race It Break It Fix It, Repeat....
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2019, 07:11:19 pm »
Great fred, revive it, I owned 2 XR500's bought on the army auctions in the 90's, a good friend of mine still has a few on his farm in a shed, also from the army auctions, covered in that k@k nutria paint, please share more memories guys.
Look for good in everyone, if you struggle to see it, add some.