Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Husqvarna Launches the New 701 Enduro Model  (Read 16747 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: Husqvarna Launches the New 701 Enduro Model
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 07:02:53 am »
Looks like a nice evolution of the 690. Being that Husky is, at this point, just a white KTM so they can 'compete' with themselves and sell even more bikes (clever, if you ask me - and I love how their marketing pretends it's all Swedish and everything), perhaps we'll see a KTM version too?

I've owned a 690 and a 450/500 class KTM and I honestly think there's no free lunch. Yes a 450/500 (oh, all right, 525 if you insist) kills the 690 in the dirt - and if you set it up right it's surprisingly capable on the tarmac - but if you're using it for proper DS and doing some decent mileage you're going to have to rebuild that motor sooner than you think. For a big dirt bike that can do some proper mileage the 690/701 is the only show in town.

They've done the research and the math. I'm pretty sure if the Excel column that says "no. of riders who are willing to pay for light adventure bike" outweighed the column that says "cost of development and homologisation" and powered the column that says "profit" we'd have one already. Yes, I'd like one too, but none of the manufacturers think the math works. Well, OK, one does, and it's beautiful, but we can't have it unless we go there with a  suitcase of drug money and ride it home: http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com.

Comparing brand new 2015 bikes to the workhorse heroes of the glory 1995/2001/2005 days is all very well, but an old bike is, well, an old bike.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:31 am »
Sooo.... A white and blue ktm 690 then?

Unless it is based on a still to be released 2016 690, there are a lot of differences. The frame is different in both construction and geometry,  as is the bodywork.  The only things that I can see that are similar are the engine and wheels

Husqvarna is slowly moving in the direction It was bought for --its own Brand again.
All the new 2016 MX Huskies are completely different to the KTM's even the motors.

Only small snag we going to have is all these top notch parts they fitting to the Huskies ---are not cheap --
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:04 am »

Unless it is based on a still to be released 2016 690, there are a lot of differences. The frame is different in both construction and geometry,  as is the bodywork.  The only things that I can see that are similar are the engine and wheels

Husqvarna is slowly moving in the direction It was bought for --its own Brand again.
All the new 2016 MX Huskies are completely different to the KTM's even the motors.

That might be true for the MX bikes but not for the 701. It's a 690 with possibly a couple of minor tweaks
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 07:32:48 am »
Funny how the wheel Turns --

Husqvarna get sold to Cagiva move to Italy---then BMW then KTM.( Stephan Perrier.)

Unhappy Engineers at Husqvarna break away and start Husaberg--KTM buy Husaberg to get all the inside development of the motor etc.
( Not to forget --Stephan Perrier bought KTM -and brought them out of Bankruptcy to where the are today. Husaberg section closed down --no more

Stephan moves Husqvarna head office back to Sweden and already the 2016 Huskies are moving in their own direction motor and suspension wise .

Will it ever over take KTM with sales ? Doubt it. Think Stephan is planning to keep Husky as a Elite Brand --Clever man that. Passionate about racing. Unless KTM sell their 51% share to Bajaj and Bajaj flood the world with small bikes where the money is ---Only man who knows what is going to happen in future --Stephan

Time will tell
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Xpat

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:04 am »

That might be true for the MX bikes but not for the 701. It's a 690 with possibly a couple of minor tweaks

True, but still a good thing assuming the rumours about 690 being discontinued are true (RAD guys and people in Europe told me there will be no 2016, but then there are people in US claiming they have already order in), as there will be at least one bike left on the market. I still think though that in its enduro form with short stroke engine will have more limited appeal than adv version would have, but agree with Max that sadly there seem to be few people out there looking for single adv bike.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:39:34 am by Xpat »

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:53 am »

And in a year or two I doubt if their will be any signs of KTM in the Husky brand except wheels and some common part --Radiators etc that are already been made for KTM and other bikes by outsourced companies.

Ok I have said enough before the KTM guys or Husky guys get upset --Time will tell.

Their is a Huge gap in the current market IMO for a bike like this --Irrespective If its KTM --Bajaj Husqvarna or whatever  ::)
Current Scooters --

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 07:42:26 am »
I've owned a 690 and a 450/500 class KTM and I honestly think there's no free lunch. Yes a 450/500 (oh, all right, 525 if you insist) kills the 690 in the dirt - and if you set it up right it's surprisingly capable on the tarmac - but if you're using it for proper DS and doing some decent mileage you're going to have to rebuild that motor sooner than you think. For a big dirt bike that can do some proper mileage the 690/701 is the only show in town.

Comparing brand new 2015 bikes to the workhorse heroes of the glory 1995/2001/2005 days is all very well, but an old bike is, well, an old bike.
I agree with everything except that old makes something inherently bad.

I would rather say that "new" doesn't mean it's better.
Let the good times roll!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 07:45:30 am »
impressive jump from a lawnmower to this. i like it.  :pot:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 07:51:04 am »

Hmmm ---MAYBE you on to something there WS --Never looked at it that way  ::) ::)

Look at me --My age ride most the newer model guys away by miles on Dirt and on Tar

Think I agree with you for once  :peepwall:
Current Scooters --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:15 am »
I'm also glad a bike like this still exists on the market. Too bad the Rand is so weak, if this could sell for 89k they will sell bucket loads. I'm guessing 120 when it lands ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 11:00:28 am »
I'm also glad a bike like this still exists on the market. Too bad the Rand is so weak, if this could sell for 89k they will sell bucket loads. I'm guessing 120 when it lands ?

It's all relevant --I thought riding bikes were expensive --Then I started up with Photography again Most Prime lenses start at R100k and up to R180k plus

Drop a lens and its tickets --Drop a bike and most of the time its Ok --just scratched and our ego suffers more.
Current Scooters --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 11:37:28 am »
So I wonder if 690 long range tanks will fit ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 11:56:52 am »
Cannot wait for it to land here. Would like to take a test ride.

Heavier okes like me needs a bit more HP. My 610TE will love a bit of rest. Hehe
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline BOER!

• What's Updog?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »

Ag asseblief liewe jesus let it fit.

But I think from a money making point of view, it probably wont. So you have to pay more for a long range tank.  Or then again, maybe it makes more economical sense to keep it the same as this is allegedly a ktm 690 anyways
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Offline BOER!

• What's Updog?
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:09:19 pm »

Hmmm ---MAYBE you on to something there WS --Never looked at it that way  ::) ::)

Look at me --My age ride most the newer model guys away by miles on Dirt and on Tar

Think I agree with you for once  :peepwall:

Yes but you are a LEGEND!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

Just looking at the photo's, it doesn't look like it. The seat extends too far forward and to the sides where the shrouds are on the 690. The tank shape is also different so it probably won't take a 690 seat to fix the issue either
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline boland

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
I find it quite ammusing that everyone is so interested in the 701 and it is so awesome etc etc etc.

You could have gotten one 4 years ago already!!! Seriously, at this stage it looks just like a 690 in a new frock with a different suspension (same as 2010 690) and a tiny enduro instrument cluster.

That being said, I really really want one :peepwall:

Offline Bensien

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 01:44:39 pm »
I find it quite ammusing that everyone is so interested in the 701 and it is so awesome etc etc etc.

You could have gotten one 4 years ago already!!! Seriously, at this stage it looks just like a 690 in a new frock with a different suspension (same as 2010 690) and a tiny enduro instrument cluster.

That being said, I really really want one :peepwall:

If you look closely you will see that the frame is different, especially the area above the foot peg. The angles and tube diameters are definitely not the same.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:35 pm »
Be that as it may, you'll likely only spot the difference when riding the bikes back-to-back

What I'm saying is that you won't see me queuing for a 701 because of its frame alterations.
Let the good times roll!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 02:05:26 pm »
The only difference as far as I can tell is the angle of one of the support bars and one or two mounting points. It's not a newly designed frame by any stretch of the imagination