Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Why do you commute by bike?"  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • MobiBins
"Why do you commute by bike?"
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
Question I get asked often....

This is why.....

40 days a year spent in traffic

This was taken by me on one of the days I took my car into work....

...and my 15km commute into town is tame compared to what other people endure.

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
Re: "Why do you commute by bike?"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »
I got to a point where I simply could not sit in a car in traffic any more, so a car for me became obsolete. Hence, I do not have one anymore.

And I love riding my bike, even commuting.  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
    • MobiBins
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »
I got to a point where I simply could not sit in a car in traffic any more, so a car for me became obsolete. Hence, I do not have one anymore.

This morning I had to drop off both kids at their perspective play groups and pre-schools and what not... thought since I will be coming into town a hour later than usual the traffic will be better and rather than go home to fetch the bike I will just come in by car.

Nope, 50mins later I stopped at the Waterfront.

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:19:17 pm »

And I love riding my bike, even commuting.  :thumleft:
to be fair, PE had a traffic jam once in 1973 and the three cars involved stood still for 8 excruciating minutes whilst the single commuter on his bike laughed and laughed.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:28:37 pm »

to be fair, PE had a traffic jam once in 1973 and the three cars involved stood still for 8 excruciating minutes whilst the single commuter on his bike laughed and laughed.

Its relative. By degree its just as bad for me(frustration) as it is for an oke in CT.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:29 pm »
15km to work. By the time I stop the car has not even reached temperature. and 8km/l vs 25km/l that is why I commute.

Mondays and Wednesdays I must fetch the kids for Karate and then use the double cab. I love the company of my kids but cant wait to get back on the bike.

I LOVE RIDING

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 12:31:49 pm »
Because I can! ;D

Although my commute has become a bit of a joke, really.  4.5 km - takes me 5 minutes on a good day by bike, 15 minutes on a bad day in the car.

:pottytrain2:

Edit: ... and it's about the only thing my bike does these days  :-\
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:33:28 pm by IDR »
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »
4 ways to Woodmead, all of 12 kms, 15 to 20 minutes by bike, an hour to an hour and a half in the bakkie.

I'd rather be cold and wet for 20 minutes than boil for an hour and a half!

Besides, I get to the office with a smile in the morning and sometimes ride a long road home cause I can!

Petrol costs me around R200 a week on the bike and a Grand in the bakkie, the difference is my spending money!

Offline caconcepts

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 12:36:42 pm »

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :3some:
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye, Honda AT.

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 12:39:46 pm »

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :3some:
no prizes for guessing who that single commuter was on that dark day in PE in 1973...   :biggrin:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline JK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Everything Counts In Large Amounts
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
To save my family from the agony of me having a heart attack in the car  :)
Yes i know i am possibly just replacing it with the agony of me getting wiped out on the bike  :patch:
But my commute is 42 kms 1 way and into Sandton. Every morning i see the bumper to bumper queue running for approximately 35km. So i know i will not be able to make it sitting in the car like that every morning and afternoon.  
I look at the cagers thinking that they are mad and they sit in their cars probably thinking the same about me  :)
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »
My bike gets my work clothes dirty and my commute is 8kms outside peak traffic so using the car at the moment. I'm shopping for a dedicated commuter again though. Riding is after all the best way to start any day  :ricky:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 12:48:23 pm »
4 ways to Woodmead, all of 12 kms, 15 to 20 minutes by bike, an hour to an hour and a half in the bakkie.

I'd rather be cold and wet for 20 minutes than boil for an hour and a half!

Besides, I get to the office with a smile in the morning and sometimes ride a long road home cause I can!

Petrol costs me around R200 a week on the bike and a Grand in the bakkie, the difference is my spending money!
there is a 990 outside the Baron at the moment, not you is it?
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:55:00 pm »
My bike gets my work clothes dirty and my commute is 8kms outside peak traffic so using the car at the moment. I'm shopping for a dedicated commuter again though. Riding is after all the best way to start any day  :ricky:

:drif: <-click
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Online Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 12:56:02 pm »
I hate riding a bike in traffic, so I have never used any bike to commute. But my working hours keeps me out of peak traffic so it takes me about 40min to travel the 37km to work and the same back home. Mayville to New Road, Midrand. But if there is any incident on the way, I'm stuffed, but I'm happier sitting in traffic than commuting on Ben Schoeman.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 12:59:28 pm »
Not my 990 outside the Baron .

Are you there for lunch?

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »
Not my 990 outside the Baron .

Are you there for lunch?
yes a nice carpaccio and a glass of wine  :biggrin:
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline FATO

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »
Had to commute 54 Km from Pta to Sandton one way for 7 years. During the construction of the new etoll roads it became unbearable, so the bike was the only option. Rain or shine. Had ti get really resourceful in packing for the corporate setting. A lot of getting dressed and undressed. And when it rained..., but regardless, the saving on time, less frustration and being already awake by the time you get in the office, compared to the cagers only waking up after their second cup of coffee made it all worth while.

One has to be extremely alert, sometimes aggresive, and with a lot of luck I survived, but it saved me from a certain heart attack. 😆 Now finally, I dont need to do it any more! 😄
Ex-Africa semper aliquid novi!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:56 pm »

:drif: <-click

Joh.....

Maar dit gaan iets meer prakties wees ongelukkig. En sal eers volgende jaar some time wees
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 01:16:16 pm »
I hate traffic AND the following - BMW drivers/ Mercedes drivers/ Honda civic drivers/ TAXIS of any sort & make/ wankers with cars with dropped suspension/ bus drivers, especially Golden Arrows wankers/ SAPS vans, drive on the hard shoulder/ wankers with Bulls stickers on their cars/ wankers with Sharks stickers on their cars/ girls in any car/ women in any car, get your husband to buy you a bus ticket/ Hilux bakkies/ any car with a G at the end of the reg number/ Audi drivers .... the list is endless. This is why I ride my bike, to many TNUC's on the road.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!