Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Why do you commute by bike?"  (Read 2482 times)

Offline XTFREAK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
Re: "Why do you commute by bike?"
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 01:19:47 pm »
Its my anti Road Rage Muti!
Otherwise I end up behaving like that Okie in PE!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »
I hate traffic AND the following - BMW drivers/ Mercedes drivers/ Honda civic drivers/ TAXIS of any sort & make/ wankers with cars with dropped suspension/ bus drivers, especially Golden Arrows wankers/ SAPS vans, drive on the hard shoulder/ wankers with Bulls stickers on their cars/ wankers with Sharks stickers on their cars/ girls in any car/ women in any car, get your husband to buy you a bus ticket/ Hilux bakkies/ any car with a G at the end of the reg number/ Audi drivers .... the list is endless. This is why I ride my bike, to many TNUC's on the road.

You forgot cocky wankers on KTM's!   :imaposer:
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Mikerider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • When in doubt....paint it black
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 01:27:43 pm »
My commute is about 34 km in total per day but the traffic is baaaaad. I work in the same building as my wife, never see her during the day and potentially a good saving to commute together.....NOT. She drops off our son at school and the traffic on that route along Koeberg Road is a nightmare. Besides, I do not think she wants me driving her car. She is always tense and says I drive her car like I ride my bike. She cannot understand that I am at all times fully aware of everything around me and freaks when she spots something the thinks I missed even though I have already moved my focus past that point knowing exactly what is going to happen.

Apparently I'm also not my usual "little Mr Sunshine" after sitting in the traffic for more than an hour.....go figure.. :eek7:

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »
I hate traffic AND the following - BMW drivers/ Mercedes drivers/ Honda civic drivers/ TAXIS of any sort & make/ wankers with cars with dropped suspension/ bus drivers, especially Golden Arrows wankers/ SAPS vans, drive on the hard shoulder/ wankers with Bulls stickers on their cars/ wankers with Sharks stickers on their cars/ girls in any car/ women in any car, get your husband to buy you a bus ticket/ Hilux bakkies/ any car with a G at the end of the reg number/ Audi drivers .... the list is endless. This is why I ride my bike, to many TNUC's on the road.

Hey hey hey hey ......... I will see to it you get onto Grrrr's list of people he dislikes.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
    • MobiBins
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 01:35:50 pm »

Hey hey hey hey ......... I will see to it you get onto Grrrr's list of people he dislikes.

Offline monkeyboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:14 pm »
1. Extra hour in bed every morning, rain or shine.
2. Saving on petrol. 800cc BMW vs 4l Ford on BF Goodrich AT tyres.
3. To justify owning a BRIGHT yellow BMW waterproof onesie.
Sometimes the commute is the best part of my day.
"Wait, we need a plan of attack!"
"I have a plan. Attack."

Offline Alan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 01:41:32 pm »
Similar to you Grrr,

live in Parklands, work in Claremont. 26 Km's one way, 1 Hour 40 minutes average driving time. so it was already 8 years ago, I started Biking purely for this reason. Went through 7 or 8 bikes along the way, and eventually sold my 1200 GSA and for the past year I've been nice and relaxed on a 400 Burgman SCOOTER.. (GASP, SHUDDER)

Commute now takes just over 40 minutes, very protected from the elements, very manoeuvrable, economic, plenty quick enough to keep up with the bikes, and have never looked back. I'm over gears and clutch, no need to. I commute as a means to an end, simple. works for me.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 01:42:56 pm »
Similar to you Grrr,

live in Parklands, work in Claremont. 26 Km's one way, 1 Hour 40 minutes average driving time. so it was already 8 years ago, I started Biking purely for this reason. Went through 7 or 8 bikes along the way, and eventually sold my 1200 GSA and for the past year I've been nice and relaxed on a 400 Burgman SCOOTER.. (GASP, SHUDDER)

Commute now takes just over 40 minutes, very protected from the elements, very manoeuvrable, economic, plenty quick enough to keep up with the bikes, and have never looked back. I'm over gears and clutch, no need to. I commute as a means to an end, simple. works for me.

Dude that scoot looks the business, I hear they are pretty rapid and light on juice?
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »

Lol you should work from home dude.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Alan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 01:49:04 pm »
Cocky, thanks,

it's only a 400, there is the bigger 650 which seriously moves witha  twin cylinder, but mine's perfect for my needs.. Can get upwards of 130 Km's if needed, and its tank is 13 litre's, I get 330 km's to a tank. Super comfortable, has a Backrest I modded, and often put the Givi box on the back and take the missus into town or wherever, easier on parking, carries loads under the seat and in the top box. Ticks all the boxes.  8)

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 01:50:48 pm »
Cocky, thanks,

it's only a 400, there is the bigger 650 which seriously moves witha  twin cylinder, but mine's perfect for my needs.. Can get upwards of 130 Km's if needed, and its tank is 13 litre's, I get 330 km's to a tank. Super comfortable, has a Backrest I modded, and often put the Givi box on the back and take the missus into town or wherever, easier on parking, carries loads under the seat and in the top box. Ticks all the boxes.  8)
Me like it a whole lot, hmmmm may have to do some investigation into this scoot. :thumleft:
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 01:51:13 pm »
Similar to you Grrr,

Dude that scoot looks the business, I hear they are pretty rapid and light on juice?

Cocky does the KTM make your fanny hot??                  :peepwall:

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 01:54:20 pm »
Similar to you Grrr,

Cocky does the KTM make your fanny hot??                  :peepwall:
You next on the hate list, wannabe strawberry farmer.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »
Wrong question, should read "Why do you NOT commute by bike"...... :biggrin:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 02:09:11 pm »

My most humble of apologies, Sir!  I don't know what came over me ...... must be the traffic ....   :ricky:
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline JK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Everything Counts In Large Amounts
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 04:10:11 pm »
Eish altough i fully understand that scooter thing i am not ready yet to go down there  . .  :patch:
Luckily have something that is more commuter friendly in the Versys but although the Versys does its job well i do preffer the Friday commute when its time to take out the FORCE. Like in ur other fred Batman the 990 is the smile factor commuter but not the wallet one  :)
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline davidfarrell

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »

What about the wankers with monster energy drink stickers on their cars?

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2015, 12:00:58 am »

What about the wankers with monster energy drink stickers on their cars?

Ja but that is kief........

Offline Regis Laconi

• Race Dog
  • Enjoy The Freedom
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2015, 07:45:31 am »
I run from farm to farm in the Worcester/Robertson/Villiersdorp area.  Except the fact that the 690 saves me a lot of money on fuel, it's just easier to get along with than a bakkie.  I can park it where I want, it doesn't take up any space and the farmers love the bike.  It's a very good ice breaker.  Talk motorcycles over a coffee for a our and then down to business.  No 4 wheel vehicle can do that.
Enjoy The Freedom...

Offline HappyHippo

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 09:57:18 am »
Besides the obvious benefits - saving on petrol/insurances, ease of parking, less time stuck in traffic - I JUST LOVE IT!

:ricky:   
Perhaps today...