Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Why do you commute by bike?"  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Africamike

• aka Ventana
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
Re: "Why do you commute by bike?"
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
In May 2009 i endured two days in a row when it took me 4 hours to travel the 26k's home from Sandton.  That was it!! the following week I bought a bike and have been commuting every day since then.  On a 'normal' day I save 2 hours a day by riding the bike - 10 hours per week - like having an extra 1 day's free leave per week and at 25km/l very nice on the pocket too.......struggle to understand why there are still so many cars on the road - dont they get it???
Rom 1:16

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 10:19:56 am »
For me it's a lifestyle....and the best way to "switch-off" after a long day's work :biggrin:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 10:42:42 am »
Every day rain or shine into town and back in the afternoon, totaling 70km a day.  I takes me 30 min on the bike opposed to the hour and a half by cage.  It is also my adrenalin rush for the day.

I am just not built for sitting in bumper to bumper traffic - I swear I'll become like Cocky.  His excuse must be all the oil he is using on his scoot...  :peepwall:  :lol8:
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:20 am »
For me it's a lifestyle....and the best way to "switch-off" after a long day's work :biggrin:

:deal:

Kon dit nie beter stel nie. Party keer wens ek my commute was n paar km verder as wat dit is...

:ricky:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 11:50:14 am »
Years ago I worked in Sandton and spent at least 2.5 hours in the car each day. So I bought a bike to commute and still do. I can't imagine spending 1.5 hours to travel 15km. Seriously wonder how people can take it day after day.

But the best about commuting on a bike is the smile on your face when you get to work or home.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
Why do I commute, to be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from DOM

Dom is spending 1.5 hours in a car getting home from work when Free is taking 15 minutes and using the balance to  walk the dogs, laugh with the kids, start a braai, have a beer
Dom is paying for parking or spending hours looking for parking when Free is parking on the pavement outside the office.
Dom is being stuck inside a cage feeding on fumes  Free is taking in the sights, smells, and fresh air.
Dom is driving a million rand car that can do 250kph, but only averaging 20kph for most of its life.  Freedom is spending 10% of that on one big adrenalin rush every time you ride.
Dom is being restricted by average speed cameras,  Free is not having a numberplate in front.
Dom is dreading having to take the long way home,  Free is wanting to take  the long way home
Dom is trying to think of an excuse to go out into the country on the weekend, Free is just going for the hell of it and having a whole lot of fun.
Dom is asking stupid questions because you are scared and want to do something,  Free is just doing what you must.
Dom is arriving safely at the pearly gates not having lived,  Free is arriving with a smile on your face and having lived.

What is the point in living if you don't live?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:19:28 pm by Oilspill »

Offline luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Strand brak
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »
Why do I commute, to be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from DOM

Dom is spending 1.5 hours in a car getting home from work when Free is taking 15 minutes and using the balance to  walk the dogs, laugh with the kids, start a braai, have a beer
Dom is paying for parking or spending hours looking for parking when Free is parking on the pavement outside the office.
Dom is being stuck inside a cage feeding on fumes  Free is taking in the sights, smells, and fresh air.
Dom is driving a million rand car that can do 250kph, but only averaging 20kph for most of its life.  Freedom is spending 10% of that on one big adrenalin rush every time you ride.
Dom is being restricted by average speed cameras,  Free is not having a numberplate in front.
Dom is dreading having to take the long way home,  Free is wanting to take  the long way home
Dom is trying to think of an excuse to go out into the country on the weekend, Free is just going for the hell of it and having a whole lot of fun.
Dom is asking stupid questions because you are scared and want to do something,  Free is just doing what you must.
Dom is arriving safely at the pearly gates not having lived,  Free is arriving with a smile on your face and having lived.

What is the point in living if you don't live?
well said  :thumleft:
S1000Xr- Sold R1200R -Sold
BMW F800GS - sold, Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap