Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: African Motorcycle Diaries.  (Read 4482 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
African Motorcycle Diaries.
« on: November 10, 2015, 10:18:28 am »
On channel 179 on Monday nights.
XT 660 Tenere. Guy wants to ride around Africa in 365 days.
Last night he got shot at in Northern Kenya. Back brake caliper and backwheel spokes shot fubar. Got a lift to Nairobi to have it fixed.

Should be some reruns in this week.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
Re: African Motorcycle Diaries.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:00 am »
Thanks Chris!
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline Komin

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Stay safe inside insanity
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:44:21 am »
I have a problem with these adventurers gallivanting around the world "unsupported".

Who is doing the filming?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:32:32 pm by Komin »
I'm not totally useless - I can be used as a bad example

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:05:28 am »
i saw an ad for that aswell. finally someone chose a decent bike for one of these.  :thumleft:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »
Caught an episode last night. The guy seems to be about as unsupported as can be while making a programme about it.
But when he gets into trouble there does just happen to be another traveller that he knows, on his own journey, but near enough to be contactable. And the other guy can conjour up a rescue truck just as it's needed. Handy, that. :3some:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline GazGaz

• Vendors
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:20 pm »
What time does it view at? Always someone behind him in the distance
Will go where the road takes me

R1150gs scrambler, Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, R1150GSA, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline Jake XT

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:29 am »
I have watched the first 4 episodes and his "fellow traveller" actually rides pillion for part of the way. The XT hasn't missed a beat all way!!! :thumleft:
Current Rides:
2010-XT660Z
1998-KDX220R sold
2005-LTZ400 Quad sold
nineteen voetsek-XT250T sold

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:49:34 am »
also watching it, seeing more of his progress on the map with his little dots... not much actual riding footage, very glad he took of those panniers. he did say he want to get to the west coast quickly as everyone and his dog has done the east coast. a little low detail so far, lets hope the up run is better.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:59:37 am »
The last one I saw was very rushed. Malawi, Moz, RSA, Nam. and into Angola all in half an hour!

That's some riding!  :eek7:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:03:35 am »
The last one I saw was very rushed. Malawi, Moz, RSA, Nam. and into Angola all in half an hour!

That's some riding!  :eek7:
Yes he did and still claims he is all alone. :peepwall:
Also he did not do a good job of editing, I mean the biggest Boabab forest in Keetmanshoop?!!! :eek7:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tampan

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »
Regardless of all the other BS, I must admit that I now look at the XT with even greater respect. He went through some really rough stuff, especially with the load he's carrying and the bike just takes it all in its stride.

Offline Titanic

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:23:31 pm »
I enjoy the show and think it is probably the most authentic of all these shows.
He made it very clear that he picked up a buddy who pillions with him to help with video. I keep looking at the bike and have to admit that it does not always seem as if he is packed in such a way that there is still space for a pillion.

There is a lot of detail being left out which I would have enjoyed to see. Like when his caliper was shot, where did he get his wheel fixed and how.

The panniers left behind, did they not have Linex yamaha stickers on? I can't recall if he had those panniers on, on his trip down to SA.

Even though he had his boots fixed, I did see him in one piece of footage with other boots.

I still enjoy the show.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
I have to agree Tampan I think that bike checked it's own oil and water as the rider did not.
I just wished he made more of the program. Could have been lots of episodes for us to drool about.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 12:30:51 pm »
I enjoy the show and think it is probably the most authentic of all these shows.
He made it very clear that he picked up a buddy who pillions with him to help with video. I keep looking at the bike and have to admit that it does not always seem as if he is packed in such a way that there is still space for a pillion.

There is a lot of detail being left out which I would have enjoyed to see. Like when his caliper was shot, where did he get his wheel fixed and how.

The panniers left behind, did they not have Linex yamaha stickers on? I can't recall if he had those panniers on, on his trip down to SA.

Even though he had his boots fixed, I did see him in one piece of footage with other boots.

I still enjoy the show.

Titanic to me that has a very critical eye there is a lot of "if's" in this series.
His father states in the beginning he is doing it sole.
Who am I to complain? Its about a bike in Africa and I can only dream. :thumleft:

Oh and him feeling uncomfortable in the fastness of the Karoo on the N1 had me chocking a bit :eek7:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 01:40:27 pm »
Not that impressed - he did South Africa in 3 minutes - Namibia in 4 - he spent more time talking about his boot in the last episode.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:43:23 pm »
Not that impressed - he did South Africa in 3 minutes - Namibia in 4 - he spent more time talking about his boot in the last episode.
The last programme was so fast and so vast in distance I had jetlag the next morning :eek7:

He did bitch at length about the backpackers in Springbok though
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
That was funny...

no drugs, no drinking, and no girls

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
yeah its different at least, im starting to like him. i see everything is yamaha branded delux, cant help feeling that its a brand promotion. lekker bike!!!!
Bike history:

Offline K-9

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »
it could be a great series.  

I find him very negative, and what a waste of time rushing through the countries like he does.  

Mozambique and south Africa, quickest and shortest route possible- what was he thinking, what a waste of time.  slow down and enjoy.  or rather speedup and enjoy -did you see all the big busses and trucks passing him??

this forum is perfect for travellers to meet fellow riders who will show them around and assist with kit etc, sorry but what a waste of a trip.

he has nothing nice to say.

he carries a pillion for hundreds of miles on terrible roads, with the pillion perched high on top of his luggage, which is covering the back seat, and the pillion is carrying a full backpack on his back, no wonder he keeps falling.

he gets lost on the most beautiful road and bitches and moans.  most wild dogs dream of riding on roads like that.

done differently it could be a great show.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »
he did say that Ewan and everyone else has done that side of africa (down the east side) so he wanted to do the west coast and get to it asap. so maybe the series will get more on point from here as it is a largely unknown route with many risks.
Bike history: