Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: African Motorcycle Diaries.  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Titanic

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
Re: African Motorcycle Diaries.
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
hehehehe thanks for clearing that up.

I liked the trailers and interviews so hopefully someone will leak the episodes soon, waiting game.

If I hear or see anything, I'll post it here.
In the mean time, if you have not seen this yet then you are in for a treat.
Proof of concept for a new show - Offtrack
https://youtu.be/C5fLNPylwNg

Offline Delport

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »
I think I can safely say the hole in the screen is for the same camera that he uses on his head.
Checked a few slow pics. There is a base plate for the camera and the same base plate on his head.
Good show, maar hier is die vraag:
How much mods are really needed to do a proper Africa trip (really really). This XT looks fairly basic to me.
I think a tubless conversion would have helped.... gets a lot of punctures with the tubes.

Offline Delport

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »
I think I can safely say the hole in the screen is for the same camera that he uses on his head.
Checked a few slow pics. There is a base plate for the camera and the same base plate on his head.
How much mods are really needed to do a proper Africa trip (really really). This XT looks fairly basic to me.
I think a tubless conversion would have helped.... gets a lot of punctures with the tubes.

Sorry, grammar. "how MANY mods...."

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 08:08:58 pm »
good point, not all the cutting edge must haves are required. the tenere has been adventure ready stock standard for yonks and in my opinion under rated. whats a trip with a flat anyway?
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Sabre

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 08:14:12 pm »
The dude seems to kletter neer an awful lot. To the point where he abandoned his panniers...so much for hard luggage.
Maybe the hole was cut after they shot through the screen, probably somewhat of an issue riding around with a bullet hole in your screen...
I also find it hard to gel with the program, but watch it nonetheless.
Same here. But the scenery looks very good, and I watch the program mostly for that
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
yeah its different at least, im starting to like him. i see everything is yamaha branded delux, cant help feeling that its a brand promotion. lekker bike!!!!

Glad I am not the only one seriously disliking throwing brand in viewers faces. Then again, like Warren said, it is possibly a cost/sponsor thing.

Still, it looks like someone else owns your trip.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 07:15:44 am »

Kyk maar op Schalk se  round the world trip thread watse mods moes sy XT660R kry  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 07:41:38 am »
Watched the two concluding episodes back to back. Good viewing, but once again you have to concentrate, because blink, and you could miss a couple of countries!
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:21 am »
yeah its different at least, im starting to like him. i see everything is yamaha branded delux, cant help feeling that its a brand promotion. lekker bike!!!!

Glad I am not the only one seriously disliking throwing brand in viewers faces. Then again, like Warren said, it is possibly a cost/sponsor thing.

Someone else can own any trip they want me to go on if they pay.. :deal:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 07:22:45 pm »
Watched the last two episodes, different series, a bit poorly done if compared to the block busters weve seen so far, serious gaps in coverage and drama but honest and realistic enough. Guess he took the trip more serious than the documentary and i can admire that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 07:29:36 pm »

Someone else can own any trip they want me to go on if they pay.. :deal:

Watch it! I'll organize you a Harley for the postal route. :pot:

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
I was going to say that I thought his claim to be the first to circumnavigate Africa was incorrect as nowhere in the program do they talk about when this actually took place.

He just complains that Ewan and Charlie took the "easy route" and he wanted to do more.

Quick google suggests he left 1 Nov 2009. Ewan and Charlie did their "Long way down" in 2007 and our very own Jorust in 2012. Michnus' stories are much more interesting than this guy but it has been said here before we'll watch it because there are so few of these programs available.

Kudo's to the guy for being the first. But like most said here he bitches a lot. 800k on tar in SA is no biggy. He makes it out like one moerofa thing.
*Edited* It is all relative I suppose, being in the saddle since the UK to do 800k on tar can be hectic. I've never done it so can't say anything about it.  As a one off or perhaps two days in a row yeah no problem but months...

I would have liked to see where he serviced his bike, battle to get parts or did the Spencenator just glide along over Africa, and without a helmet on for most parts...I felt nervous for him filming himself, no helmet doing probably 60k/h on gravel one hand on the handlebar.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:43:42 pm by TinusBez »
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline Titanic

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 08:42:50 pm »
I enjoyed the last two episodes.
Impressed to see him doing some maintenance on the bearings.
It took me a while to realize he seems to never wear a helmet, probably because he films from the camera still mounted on his helmet.

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 05:34:01 pm »
I also enjoyed the last couple of episodes.

You sort of get to know him a little better and get used to the "style" of the show.

Also, through this journey he raised 29 188.00 British pounds for the Save the Children Organization.

It was filmed mostly in 2010 so it shows you how long this has taken to get to the Travel Channel screens.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Rover

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Rover;... An old dog.
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2015, 10:37:47 am »
Not enjoying it at all.
He bitches too much and does'nt show enough bike and riding stuff.
Leaves out all the "cool" things that must have happened.
Should be one country per episode.
'Never give up'

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2015, 01:10:28 pm »
I enjoyed his 'epiphany' moment in the last episode, because it is exactly what comes from travelling.  :ricky:

"I will be much more tolerant of other people."

The friendship and outpouring of affection he received from the poorest of people could only change him.
You can take yourself out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of your self.
Africa has a way of endearing herself forever to anyone who visits her...
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 01:15:49 pm »
 outpouring of affection

That pouring of bullets could have ended it all in Kenya though :deal: :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za