Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Thailand Trip - tips and tricks please  (Read 1890 times)

Online onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Thailand Trip - tips and tricks please
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:50:57 am »
Hi All

I will be going to phuket in June.

An ive decided that i will be taking some dollars rather than ZAR - but i want to buy them now, before the rand weakens some more.

So if anybody has some spare doll hairs that they are willing to part with.

Or if someone that has been there suggest any alternatives?

DAnkie Julle

*edit - ive changed the subject a bit, as it seems that a couple of the dogs have been there before, so any advice will be appreciated. please keep in mind that i will be taking my girlfriend (possibly engaged by then) with so now ping pong shows for me
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:57:36 am by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Online Vintage_Mania

Re: Need Dollars - for Thailand trip
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:59 am »
When we went over a couple of years back, I also bought dollars to take with and scored a couple of baht over taking ZAR. But I did not like traveling with a lot of cash and it made me nervous most of the time. On our other travels after that I use my credit card for payments and it is much more confidence inspiring plus you can draw money where ever you are without the need to get back to the hotel if you run out of cash.

At the moment the exchange rates are:

$1 = 35.83 baht
$1 = R14.00
R1 = 2.56 baht
R14 = 35.85 baht

So not much in it and if you take into account the exchange fees you will pay twice, I don't think it is worth it.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:43 am »
On the other hand......

You could exchange on the black market and get a better rate. The guys hang out at most of the tourist spots and just around the corner from the Bureau de Change branches. But it is dodgy, you might get caught, you might end up with counterfeit baht, you might end up with trouble at customs if you can't explain dollar vs baht vs Rand numbers, etc.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline ABie

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:37:24 pm »
I also always use my credit card on all overseas trips. It is easier to keep just enough money and you pay in places with your card. Then you don't worry where to store the bulk of your not yet used dollars.
And sit with less money to exchange when you are back. But it is easier to overspend as you just go and draw more. 

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline hschreuder

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »
Hoeveel dollars soek jy? Ek het nog so paar hier by my. Dink is ongeveer $200. Sal moet check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Suzuki DL1000 2009, Suzuki TL1000 1998, Suzuki GSX1300R 2011, Suzuki RMZ450 2009, Suzuki LTR450 2008

Online onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:42:38 am »
Hoeveel dollars soek jy? Ek het nog so paar hier by my. Dink is ongeveer $200. Sal moet check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man ekt nog nie op n vaste bedrag besluit nie, maar $200 klink na n goeie begin.

@Vintage_mania i was hoping to do a straight swop without exchange fees, as per exchange rate on that day, its kind of a win win for both parties, i think.

Thanks for the input guys, but was the banking fees for withdrawing money in Thailand?

hak vrystaat

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:49:02 am »

Man ekt nog nie op n vaste bedrag besluit nie, maar $200 klink na n goeie begin.

@Vintage_mania i was hoping to do a straight swop without exchange fees, as per exchange rate on that day, its kind of a win win for both parties, i think.

Thanks for the input guys, but was the banking fees for withdrawing money in Thailand?

Jy gaan fooie betaal in Thailand om na baht te ruil?

Ek kry 5 of 8 internasionale OTM ontrekkings op my kaart. So dit is selfde kostes as lokaal +R6 en die uitruil fooie is normale bank fooie. Is net BAIE makliker.

Online onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:02 am »

Jy gaan fooie betaal in Thailand om na baht te ruil?

Ek kry 5 of 8 internasionale OTM ontrekkings op my kaart. So dit is selfde kostes as lokaal +R6 en die uitruil fooie is normale bank fooie. Is net BAIE makliker.

Ja ek sal fooie in thailand betaal, ek soek basies net die goedkoper opsie, (ATM,exchange shops, banke, blackmarket >:D)

EK gaan sal vandag gou my bank details check, dalk kry ek ook n paar internasionale ontrekkings.

Ek sal graag nou n paar dollars wil he, want ek voel oor 6 maande gaan hul waarde beter wees as die rand.

hak vrystaat

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:23:04 am »
You only need $2
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Re: Thailand Trip - tips and tricks please
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:02 am »
My plan is to do a speedboat trip to some of the islands, any tour operator that comes to mind?

http://www.thaihappytourandtravel.com/tours/james-bond-island.html

The above trip is on the cards
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:01:31 am by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 08:22:29 am »
My advice is spend as much time on the islands as possible, way nicer than Phuket.

Spend at least 4 nights on phi phi, a day trip is a waste of time.
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline JohnB

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:13 am »
We rented scoots and saw as much of Phuket as possible. Also went to Phi Phi  and Krabi. Loved it.

try and get your own transport, youll save on cost, plus it buys you a lot of time.

Don't try and walk out on a bill from the Tiger Bar in Bangla rd  :patch:  :lol8:
But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christs power may rest on me.

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
Tip: The chicks are not always chicks   :glasses7:
Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence.  Lon Bloy

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »
Tip: The chicks are not always chicks   :glasses7:
and your tip might fall/vrot off if you have anything to do with them :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 03:53:55 pm »
My advice is spend as much time on the islands as possible, way nicer than Phuket.

Spend at least 4 nights on phi phi, a day trip is a waste of time.

Jonw this dawned on me after i paid accommodation upfront, if we have enough saved up by then i will consider staying over on one of the islands.
hak vrystaat

Offline dax

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:48 pm »
My advice. take as little as possible, not much more than the clothes on your back.  Buy everything you need there including the suitcase.  If you're single, spend at least a few nights at the Star Inn in Bangkok, and don't pre book any accommodation anywhere.  So easy to find lekker places to stay for 1/3 of the price of pre booked

Offline Demus

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:07 pm »
Indien jy vervoer vooraf of daar wil rel met taxi, kan jy die perd op face book raakloop. Het September al ons vervoer gedoen. Met SA vlag, springbok trui en afrikaanse musiek en en al.  "Somchai Klomsamrong". Ons het sommer "Jimmy" genoem.

Online onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 07:18:17 am »
Indien jy vervoer vooraf of daar wil rel met taxi, kan jy die perd op face book raakloop. Het September al ons vervoer gedoen. Met SA vlag, springbok trui en afrikaanse musiek en en al.  "Somchai Klomsamrong". Ons het sommer "Jimmy" genoem.

Het hom gekontak dankie!

Kort net transfers hotel toe en terug  - gaan scooter kry as ek daar is
hak vrystaat

Offline Barrie

• Bike: Honda XR125L
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 11:28:07 am »
Hoor by lucas, sy seun bly da, hy gaan gereeld Thailand toe.

Offline lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 01:29:52 pm »
As jy van wyn hou, vat maar 'n pappie of twee saam - die ozzie wyn is poe$ duur en proe nie beter nie. Bottel gin sommer ook...
Gaan koop jou bier by die offsales, kas op 'n slag is aansienlik cheaper as enige ander plek, en jy gaan baie bier drink, mens word dors in daai hitte/humiditeit.
En jy kan maar by die straat vendors eet, lekker, billik en die kos is skoon.
Krabi, Ao-nang is lekker. Stem saam, gaan doen phi-phi vir 'n paar dae.