Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: HA LESOTHO (MORE) !!  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
HA LESOTHO (MORE) !!
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:28 pm »
5 riders - 7 days - A round trip to Lesotho and back - that was the plan. And like all good plans, it fell apart at the beginning.

So 2 of us left on Monday morning, after the traffic, on our to the Green Lantern in Van Reenans - minimal tar,maximum dirt  :thumleft:

First stop was in Deneysville for a brekkie and beers, followed by a long stretch on the open sand roads - what a great way to spend a Monday morning - belting along on a 950 at warp speed. Neil, riding a KLR, being a capable rider as well, kept pace somewhere behind me out of the dust.

Not much to report other than we stopped in Warden for yet another beer before heading off to Normandien Pass and back up Collins Pass to the Green Lantern.

The start

Deneysville

the road - jeez, the Free Stat is flat

Warden - a lovely place

Normandien Pass

What a bike!!!!!

And so, we arrived - not too early and full of joy from being back on the road again.

And being the first night, the wheels fell off a bit - not many pics but these may give you an idea ..................

I remember teaching the barmaids how to make Long Island Iced Tea and then things got vague .................
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:01:36 am by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: HA LESOTHO
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:46 pm »
Day 2 .................................

I woke up feeling thirsty, drank a few litres of water aand managed to eat a full breakfast - a good sign.  :thumleft:

This was an odd day, we were expecting the other 3 riders to arrive at various times but had also planned an outride.

Well that started out dismally - we rode down Bezuidenhouts Pass - a waste if time if you're looking for a tech ride. The local farmers have graded the bloody thing, FFS!!! You don't even need a 4x4 to go up or down anymore but you still gotta deal with gates.

For those planning this pass, don't bother until there's been enough rain to f--k it up again - maybe next year.

Then it was on to Ladysmith for a well deserved wetty, where we heard that the other 3 had pulled out. I was a bit disappointed coz I'd booked a lot of accommodation, etc and wasn't happy being let down at the last minute.

Anyways, it turned into a blessing, just being the 2 of us. We had some hard riding ahead of us that would have been impossible with 5 riders. You don't realise it but a lot of time is lost stopping for a piss, a smoke, a rest, a puncture, etc.

So, we had a couple beers in Ladysmith and headed back to the Green Lantern via the old railway tunnel. A nice ride but fairly easy when there's been no rain.

Ladysmith

Neil's KLR about to get laid

The next day was gonna be a long haul to Matatiele, so a good nights rest was in order. So off we headed for the pub ..........

Offline Splash

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:03:29 am »
You have my attention. Please carry on, like soon.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline evansv

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:37 am »
Sub.

DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:27:52 am »
 :3some:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:12 am »
Nice KTM :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I am 99% sure that is my old bike. She has been to Lesotho before

Did you buy the bike from ADV?
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Onetime

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:08:08 pm »
looks like fun :ricky:
Onetime to live your life. No time to wait for someday or you will find that someday was yesterday.

XT500(sold), DRZ400(sold), XT600(sold), F800GS(sold)

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:00:57 pm »
more more more
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline skydiver

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:30 am »
More riding and less drinking please  :imaposer:
Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS

Offline CruiserBMW

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »
Still waiting for the rest.

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:01 pm »

That bike gets around...had a holiday in Cape Town for a while and now its back in Jhb!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline KiPi

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 09:26:38 am »
sub...

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 10:22:27 pm »

That bike gets around...had a holiday in Cape Town for a while and now its back in Jhb!

Yep, that's the one, funacide, I thought I recognised it in some of your old posts in the 950 threads  :thumleft:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »
Day 3 .................................

I woke up feeling great and had a big brekkies. In fact, I woke up every day feeling great no matter what had been consumed the night before - it must be the freedom of being on the road.

Today was gonna be quite a haul, with a big mix of tar and gravel. Seeing as there were only 2 of us and we're both non-smoking, faster riders, we decided to skip the N3 and hug the mountains as much as possible.

So we headed back to Swinburne, got back on the dirt and headed inland. I'm sure many of you have been through here but we stuck to the tar, passed the dam (the road is fixed, btw) and down through Bergville.

As always, looking for the smaller roads, we headed through Loskop and took the next right through the mountains. Now riding the 950 brings fuel issues and my range is 280kms at the moment. It could be more but I haven't tested it yet and I sure as hell wasn't gonna be testing it on this trip. For those who need to know, we found a new petrol station in a place called Moorleigh. This would give me enough juice to get to Himeville and beyond.

So off we went into the mountains - what a fantastic road it was. It changed every now and then from tar to gravel, twisted through villages, mountains, forests and farms. But, it was cold and got wet - the rain had come - which brings another dimension to riding a big bike with 50/50 tyres on. Something I'm not really used to and I had a few scares going into corners a bit hot.

Some of you will know this road as the Lower Loteni Road, I think. It was a strange ride through there, in the mist and rain with a different landscape, I felt like I was in Europe, not drought-ridden SA.

We finally got to Himeville, where we stopped for a refreshment or two and a bite to eat - the place was empty, not what I was used to. In fairness, though, we had not seen another bike at all, in 3 days riding - you lot must all be at work, slaving away for Xmas  :imaposer: :imaposer:
: -
A couple pics from the Arms

And that was pretty much it, for day 3. We carried on to Matatiele and booked into Resthaven. I'd arranged for them to buy all the bits and pieces needed for a braai that evening, for 5 people, so we ended up having quite a feast AND an early night for a change.

A good idea, that was, coz the next day into Lesotho was gonna throw a whole lotta shit at us - bring it on!!!!

For those in love with the green bikes, here's one for you. Seems the owner of Resthaven is a greenie as well  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:06:51 am by Cracker »

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 03:17:53 am »
bring it on, enjoying so far. Good stuff.

Offline Big-G

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
 :sip: riding along with you......
I used to have Superpowers but my therapist took them away from me!!!!

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »
sub...

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:42:06 pm »
Day 4 ..........................

That's 3 days ride just to get to Lesotho from JHB - but that's what happens when you wanna go somewhere different. I've been in Lesotho quite a few times and it's getting harder and harder to find new routes.

So this time, it was to be Ongeluksnek taking us into the land of the donkey - the KLR was going home  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Matatiele is a busy town now, they're building all sorts of things and this was reflected in fully booked accommodation by contractors and a hell of a lot of vehicles on the sand roads. Not dangerous but sliding corners and roosting was not the way to go.

SA border post - A man with a job stamping passports - took him 4 attempts to get it right in mine. No matter where you are , no matter what time of day, I'm constantly reminded how lucky I am - and how amusing this country of ours is.

That was the last border post we ever saw, why they actually have them is beyond me - it was nice, however, to see my tax money wasted and not just stolen.  ;D

For those who've never done Ongeluksnek, it's well worth it. Not a difficult ride but I reckon in the wet that 950 woulda been a handful. It would have taken a whole lot longer in the rain and as it was, we never got to Ramabanta anyway, our next stop.

The road out of Matatiele and me peeing - again - getting old, perhaps ..........

Leaving SA - Finally .................

And so we headed up the valley - was a very lekker ride. I cam across a badly rutted section and a dead end - stopped by a concrete pipe. Not big but the ruts were big, the road was steep and sleepy and one mistake would mean a huge sweat getting the bike out of a hole. So I backtracked and took a different line which got me over but turning that 950 was a bitch - flip, it's a heavy bike - no pivot turns on this beast.

And that, my friends, was it - after that it was all gravy. We crossed the river below the dam which was bone dry and rode into the dam area for a bit of lunch and some well deserved ale.

It's hard to visualise but this area was vast - massive - eerie - and quiet except for the jingle from a sheep's bell. W spent a lot of time here, just sitting, sipping on a beer and chewing on biltong.

Was a magical moment ........

Too soon, it was over and we were back on the bikes, on the road to Semonkong .....................
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:52:07 pm by Cracker »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:03 pm »
More to come tomorrow - this was a big day's riding - with a bit of partying  :o :o

Offline gwild

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:16 pm »
Nice RR and pics keep it coming we waiting :peepwall: