Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Africa Twin launch  (Read 15944 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Honda Africa Twin launch
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »
Donovan and his Dad is probably hanging around the launch waiting like dogs for scraps from the dinner table. :peepwall: :pot:

Ha ha you woodenspooner you...... :)
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline BV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »
Launch is at Aquila. Past there on fry day and about 30 bikes standing outside.
Ktm 250 2t
ktm3002t
ktm 450 RR
Husqvarna 701
KTM 950

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »
Launch is at Aquila. Past there on fry day and about 30 bikes standing outside.

Should have popped in ......
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
2-Stroke, enough of the suspense, were you at the launch?

Perhaps...
I see you sommer changed your tyres from road to knobbly too ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
Wish it was tubeless.......

Tubeless kan net goed wees verkope. Maar aan die ander kant......sy kompetiesie het ook tubes in.
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline volroom

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »
How long do we have to wait, Two-stroke
2003 R1150GS

Offline volroom

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:30 pm »

Tubeless kan net goed wees verkope. Maar aan die ander kant......sy kompetiesie het ook tubes in.

I guess you can do a tubeless conversion (not DIY) if the rims are strong enough
2003 R1150GS

Offline Catchy

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »
Cant wait.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:24:07 pm by Catchy »
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 11:36:30 pm »
Today has been a bit crazy. I'll write a short review tomorrow, cool?

Offline evansv

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 06:36:23 am »
 :sip:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current), KTM 690 Enduro R (current)

Offline Clint_G

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:37 am »
Today has been a bit crazy. I'll write a short review tomorrow, cool?

We'll wait for the hangover to subside.

Bloody journalists...    :imaposer:

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 11:46:10 am »
Here is a short review. Forgive me, but I have to write an article for both Bike Sa and Offroad & Adventure SA, with both articles being unique, which is difficult. This then is just a quick highlights package. Obviously a more thorough review will go in the January issue of the mags.

They took us to the Aquila Private Reserve, and the first day was mostly road riding through the mountain passes with some easy offroading, and the next day was a proper offroad day.

Honda have kept very clear of the horsepower war, with the parallel twin engine (with a 270º crank offering the same sort of firing order as a Super Tenere) pushing just 93hp and 98Nm Torque.

What they have done is concentrated on its capabilities, especially offroad. It is made to be compact, light and easy to ride in any situation. The specs speak for themselves – Wheelsize F/R: 21"/18", Suspension travel F/R: 230mm/220mm, wet weight Std/ABS/DTC: 228kg/232kg/242kg.

The weight is less than all of the bigger adventure bikes, but it feels even lighter when you ride it. I'm a good notch less than six foot tall and I can put both feet on the floor without even lowering the seat. It really feels slim and compact, and more manoeuvrable than any of the big adventure bikes, and possibly even more so than the middleweight bikes.

The engine is smooth and compliant, but not the most exciting, although it's perfect for the trickier offroad sections.

Suspension (standard Showa units with no newfangled electronic involvement) is fantastic.

It has three levels of TC and there is an option for no ABS. The best part about these features is that they are controlled via actual, easy to reach, buttons on the handlebars, and can be easily adjusted or turned off on the move. Thank the heavens!

The DCT automatic system has been reworked and really works. There is a special G button that tells the bike that you are riding offroad, and generally it gives you whatever gear you need for whatever scenario. If need be, you can push the manual button and use the buttons to change gear manually.

It doesn't feel like a big adventure bike made into more of an offroad bike, it feels more like an offroad bike made into more of an adventure bike.

It should be available in April next year.

Prices depend on which option you go for, but should be somewhere between R155,000 and R170,000.

Offline lecap

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 11:47:25 am »

I guess you can do a tubeless conversion (not DIY) if the rims are your wallet isstrong enough

Fixed.

Kineo wheels. I don't think I would spend the money but for some one who's obsessed about riding tubeless and does not want a BMW nor some dubious Sikaflex DIY jobbie. IMHO Kineo is BY FAR the best tubeless wire spoke wheel design.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 11:52:21 am »

I guess you can do a tubeless conversion (not DIY) if the rims are your wallet isstrong enough

Fixed.

Kineo wheels. I don't think I would spend the money but for some one who's obsessed about riding tubeless and does not want a BMW nor some dubious Sikaflex DIY jobbie. IMHO Kineo is BY FAR the best tubeless wire spoke wheel design.

And thanks 2-strole for the review. Seems Honda got their act together and build a great bike. I am holding my breath and want to see how this bike sells in Europe or the US of A as this will determine if the new Africa Twin will be here to stay and if other manufacturers will have to come up with more sensible large adventure bikes too?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:03 pm »

Fixed.

And thanks 2-strole for the review. Seems Honda got their act together and build a great bike. I am holding my breath and want to see how this bike sells in Europe or the US of A as this will determine if the new Africa Twin will be here to stay and if other manufacturers will have to come up with more sensible large adventure bikes too?

Apparently Honda Global has a new CEO. The last one didn't give a stuff about motorbikes, and was only interested in making little crapboxes that would sell in Thailand. The new guy is apparently a big bike fanatic. And the said that the AT is just the beginning.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:45 pm »
I'm saving for it, but I won't sell my XRL.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline DeeCeeBee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Tasmania - Australia
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »
Thanks for the review 2t.
Now I am even more determined to own one.
Word in australia is that it will be on the floor here on feb.
XR650R
Africa Twin Adv Sport DCT
XR100R

Offline XRRX

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 12:50:57 pm »
Here is a short review. Forgive me, but I have to write an article for both Bike Sa and Offroad & Adventure SA, with both articles being unique, which is difficult. This then is just a quick highlights package. Obviously a more thorough review will go in the January issue of the mags.

They took us to the Aquila Private Reserve, and the first day was mostly road riding through the mountain passes with some easy offroading, and the next day was a proper offroad day.

Honda have kept very clear of the horsepower war, with the parallel twin engine (with a 270º crank offering the same sort of firing order as a Super Tenere) pushing just 93hp and 98Nm Torque.

What they have done is concentrated on its capabilities, especially offroad. It is made to be compact, light and easy to ride in any situation. The specs speak for themselves – Wheelsize F/R: 21"/18", Suspension travel F/R: 230mm/220mm, wet weight Std/ABS/DTC: 228kg/232kg/242kg.

The weight is less than all of the bigger adventure bikes, but it feels even lighter when you ride it. I'm a good notch less than six foot tall and I can put both feet on the floor without even lowering the seat. It really feels slim and compact, and more manoeuvrable than any of the big adventure bikes, and possibly even more so than the middleweight bikes.

The engine is smooth and compliant, but not the most exciting, although it's perfect for the trickier offroad sections.

Suspension (standard Showa units with no newfangled electronic involvement) is fantastic.

It has three levels of TC and there is an option for no ABS. The best part about these features is that they are controlled via actual, easy to reach, buttons on the handlebars, and can be easily adjusted or turned off on the move. Thank the heavens!

The DCT automatic system has been reworked and really works. There is a special G button that tells the bike that you are riding offroad, and generally it gives you whatever gear you need for whatever scenario. If need be, you can push the manual button and use the buttons to change gear manually.

It doesn't feel like a big adventure bike made into more of an offroad bike, it feels more like an offroad bike made into more of an adventure bike.

It should be available in April next year.

Prices depend on which option you go for, but should be somewhere between R155,000 and R170,000.

Thanks - very niiice !!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Ortos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »
Dear Santa,

..........aaag Fok asseblief!

(my dogter se varsity geld?)
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!