Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Africa Twin launch  (Read 15945 times)

Offline Karel Kat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • 'Burn Babilaan an de wicked'
Re: Honda Africa Twin launch
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »
I actually hate it when Honda gets it right, but this bike seems to be the shits according to the preliminary reviews. I like it that they did not get involved in the horsepower wars and the bike seems to be a great dirt roader while it will still do distance at speed. Perhaps approaching the holy grail of being an excellent tourer as well as a capable performer when the going gets gnarly.

Had I been in the market for a new bike, the Africa Twin would probably have been at the top of the list. Please give us more.
Proudly colonialist dog walker and brannewyn libtard

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 05:37:20 pm »
Wish it was tubeless.......

Tubeless kan net goed wees verkope. Maar aan die ander kant......sy kompetiesie het ook tubes in.

I guess you can do a tubeless conversion (not DIY) if the rims are your wallet isstrong enough

Fixed.

Kineo wheels. I don't think I would spend the money but for some one who's obsessed about riding tubeless and does not want a BMW nor some dubious Sikaflex DIY jobbie. IMHO Kineo is BY FAR the
best tubeless wire spoke wheel design.

And thanks 2-strole for the review. Seems Honda got their act together and build a great bike. I am holding my breath and want to see how this bike sells in Europe or the US of A as this will determine if the new Africa Twin will be here to stay and if other manufacturers will have to come up with more sensible large adventure bikes too?

Apparently Honda Global has a new CEO. The last one didn't give a stuff about motorbikes, and was
only interested in making little crapboxes that would sell in Thailand. The new guy is apparently a big bike fanatic. And the said that the AT is just the beginning.

Great news about a CEO that is passionate about bikes instead of just bowing to the accountants.

Maybe we even get a modern XR650R someday?

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 05:38:41 pm »
I actually hate it when Honda gets it right, but this bike seems to be the shits according to the preliminary reviews. I like it that they did not get involved in the horsepower wars and the bike seems to be a great dirt roader while it will still do distance at speed. Perhaps approaching the holy grail of being an excellent tourer as well as a capable performer when the going gets gnarly.

Had I been in the market for a new bike, the Africa Twin would probably have been at the top of the list. Please give us more.

Sorry mate unfortunately, I kinda need people to read the magazines too.

I will say that it isn't the most comfortable adventure bike I've ever ridden, but it's far from uncomfortable. The seat is very offroady. The chief designer (an Italian) showed me another Africa Twin concept that they are working on with a single MX-style seat.

Wish it was tubeless.......

Tubeless kan net goed wees verkope. Maar aan die ander kant......sy kompetiesie het ook tubes in.

I guess you can do a tubeless conversion (not DIY) if the rims are your wallet isstrong enough

Fixed.

Kineo wheels. I don't think I would spend the money but for some one who's obsessed about riding tubeless and does not want a BMW nor some dubious Sikaflex DIY jobbie. IMHO Kineo is BY FAR the
best tubeless wire spoke wheel design.

And thanks 2-strole for the review. Seems Honda got their act together and build a great bike. I am holding my breath and want to see how this bike sells in Europe or the US of A as this will determine if the new Africa Twin will be here to stay and if other manufacturers will have to come up with more sensible large adventure bikes too?

Apparently Honda Global has a new CEO. The last one didn't give a stuff about motorbikes, and was
only interested in making little crapboxes that would sell in Thailand. The new guy is apparently a big bike fanatic. And the said that the AT is just the beginning.

Great news about a CEO that is passionate about bikes instead of just bowing to the accountants.

There were no specifics, but the people from Honda said there was more to come. Who knows?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 05:39:15 pm »

With a happy button :drif: :drif:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Toors

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 06:47:18 pm »
Good to have another competitor but seems to be just another 220kg behemoth: a million miles  away from a perfect  africa twin. 
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 07:04:47 pm »
Not sure about that Toors. Everything I've read about this bike is positive.  Well except for that exhaust but everything else is positive.  Tested in South Africa and if it can withstand our big boys punishing it then I believe we have a true challenger to KTM and BMW. Expect a few more of these bikes in the second hand market next year.

I'm really looking forward to the Twin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:05:23 pm by KLRFegen »
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 11:16:09 pm »
Not sure about that Toors. Everything I've read about this bike is positive.  Well except for that exhaust but everything else is positive.  Tested in South Africa and if it can withstand our big boys punishing it then I believe we have a true challenger to KTM and BMW. Expect a few more of these bikes in the second hand market next year.

I'm really looking forward to the Twin.
:ricky:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 09:54:14 am »
Good to have another competitor but seems to be just another 220kg behemoth: a million miles  away from a perfect  africa twin. 

Based on what??

Some okes   ::)
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:44 am »

I really hope not.

Then everyone will have one.

Just like the 690.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 10:44:27 am »

We can only dream for now... :'(

The new twin though, very good looking bike with proper tyres on it.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

I think you'll be surprised when you actually ride it.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »

:imaposer:
I guess you were thinking of your KTM 1050 when you wrote this ...  :biggrin:

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »
"The new Africa Twin doesn't feel like a road bike adapted for a bit of offroad. It feels like an offroad bike adapted for a bit of road." The full story will be in the January issue of both Offroad & Adventure SA and Bike SA.

Offline Jehan

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 06:36:44 pm »
Cant wait for the new AT.    :drif: :drif: :drif:

Will still keep my "old" AT though.
If you want a real dog, get a Neapolitan Mastiff

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:06 pm »
If the new AT indeed feels like an offroad bike adapted for a bit of tar road, I see a dim future for it in SA.
As much as people clamour for "real" D/S bikes, the GS still rules the sales charts. Why? Because very few people want a offroad bike adapted for tar.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:42 pm »
Ek se nog dat hulle daai voorligte van die Super Tenere geleen het. Seker hoekom sy so sexy lyk. :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:17 pm »
Ek se nog dat hulle daai voorligte van die Super Tenere geleen het. Seker hoekom sy so sexy lyk. :imaposer:

Dis joe kom hy swaar is... :pot:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 08:14:18 pm »
Wie se my bike is swaar.....ek is ook lekker swaar. :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Toors

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 08:54:06 pm »

:imaposer:
I guess you were thinking of your KTM 1050 when you wrote this ...  :biggrin:

The other bikes in my garage....

If the Honda was a 180kg bike.  My name would be no 2 on the waiting list.
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline fcprinsloo7@gmail.com

• Main MOEGOE...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »
Toors, you already have a "220kg behemoth" in the 1050! Whats your point?